Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Customs cutter?

1 careful owner
    Disposal Services Authority (DSA) is inviting expressions of interest for the tender of the HMCC Sentinel.

They also have HMS Endurance and a MCMV up for sale but a lot of work on both would be required to make them operational

While I am not an expert, I don't think any of these 3 ships[boats] are fit for further service, and are only fit for the breakers..
    "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
    Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Perfect for customs as they float. All they need to do is stay tied up for say 10 years then they'll have served their purpose - they could even get the engine removed when in position to deliver greater efficiency to the taxpayer.
      Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Didn't Endurance sink? (more or less)?
        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
          Didn't Endurance sink? (more or less)?
          "Catastrophic flooding"

Comment

If you've got half an hour...

'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Comment

Could the navy do it. Those cutters do very little.

Comment

What is it you think they do very little of that you think the Navy could do?????

Comment

Days at sea by the cutters are minimal and nearly non-existent during the winter months. Swells on the south and west coasts preclude any type of operations.

Also being unarmed is a shortfall in regards enforcement of illegal importation of drugs.

The Navy is already the maritime component of the JTF on drugs, with it being called on to conduct armed boardings of suspect vessels.

If PDA was improved and the Navy was brought to a larger strength, the transfer of the vessels to the Navy with customs present onboard would be a more sensible option.

Similar to the Garda Heli's with AC pilots flying and Gardaí as crew.
                    Last edited by A/TEL; 21 February 2022, 22:41.

Comment

2015 act gives Navy same powers as customs when doing customs tasks anyway.
                      “officer of customs” means an officer of the Commissioners authorised by them under section 37 to be an officer of customs, and includes—
                      (a) an officer of the Commissioners, not so authorised,
                      (b) a member of the Garda Síochána, or
                      (c) a member of the Defence Forces,
                      for the time being employed on any duty or service relating to customs;
                      Customs Act 2015, Section 2 (irishstatutebook.ie)

Comment

Good to see "Defence Forces" and not "Permanent Defence Forces"

Comment

So, hear me out here, and forgive my naivety with regards to the condition of the two customer cutters, but would it be possible for the Suirbhéir class vessels to be refitted and repurposed into service with the NSR? 23 meter abd 50 tonnes with quarters for 8 personnel and a capability for long range patrolling. Already painted grey too!

Now, off to get my flacker and helmet while the Naval experts tell me why this is a horrible idea!
                          What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ODIN View Post
                            So, hear me out here, and forgive my naivety with regards to the condition of the two customer cutters, but would it be possible for the Suirbhéir class vessels to be refitted and repurposed into service with the NSR? 23 meter abd 50 tonnes with quarters for 8 personnel and a capability for long range patrolling. Already painted grey too!

Now, off to get my flacker and helmet while the Naval experts tell me why this is a horrible idea!
                            Should have plenty of life left in them but contract for NSR vessels already awarded

here’s the specs of the current Revenue vessels

Comment

Originally posted by ODIN View Post

Long range patrolling doesnt really fit with the role of the NSR of Port Control etc. Would be like the AR conducting operations without Army involvement.

The NSR exists to "augment the crews of Naval Service vessels during Operational patrols of Ireland EEZ. The NSR conducts its own stand-alone operations within their respective ports, such as sighting reports and intelligence gathering".

Outside of Irish ports the NS is the principal sea-going agency.

For some reason there seems to be belief that the NSR should operate independently of the NS, conducting operational roles at sea.

This is not what the NRS exists for.

The launches which are being procured are perfect for the NSR ,and the training they need to conduct.

Suirbheir and Faire if retired, would be fantastic platforms as training vessels for NS Cadet and OOW training.

Also could be utilised for Branch training.

Comment

Working...
                              X