The DF on Telly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    That wasn't called "Soldiers to Be" by any chance, was it?
    No mate, that was airing around the time I joined though. I think the show was for ITV, something about behavioural studies among different groups, but like I say, I never saw it.

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
      i could never take women screaming at people seriously....far too much like being married...
      rotflmfao.... :-d
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
        Btw..looking at that attachment....tattoos....I think we need to revisit the the direction on wearing of tattoos, these look awful below the sleeve lenght
        I ve seen people on the DF's fb page complaining about the stance on tattoos and how it has prevented people from joining up yet once someone is in then there appears to be no enforcement. I know one guy serving with facial tattoos and others with full sleeves worth.

On RTE i remember an RTE crew spent time on the ground during an exercise (ARAGLIN). Think it was 97 or 98. It was one of the armys biggest ex's in donkeys years and there was supposed to be a show about it. In the end it got about 30 sec on the news.
        Anyone need a spleen ?

Comment

Originally posted by ollie View Post
          I ve seen people on the DF's fb page complaining about the stance on tattoos and how it has prevented people from joining up yet once someone is in then there appears to be no enforcement. I know one guy serving with facial tattoos and others with full sleeves worth.

On RTE i remember an RTE crew spent time on the ground during an exercise (ARAGLIN). Think it was 97 or 98. It was one of the armys biggest ex's in donkeys years and there was supposed to be a show about it. In the end it got about 30 sec on the news.
          Theres noting to stop you getting a full sleeves worth. Nor is there a prohibition on anything that is offensive, obscene, racist or sectarian. This policy needs a review.

Comment

Would the DF allow a proper documentary to be filmed? I know the GS brass were very restrictive, which is why you got 'Traffic Blues' instead of something like C4's 'Coppers'.
            "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Originally posted by FMolloy View Post
              Would the DF allow a proper documentary to be filmed? I know the GS brass were very restrictive, which is why you got 'Traffic Blues' instead of something like C4's 'Coppers'.
              They learnt the hard way. In 1992 they made "Recruits" and gave cameras full access to garda recruits at home and in college. It went through their ups and downs. A great series but the subjects got no peace when they were on the beat after, as every scrote knew their name, their mothers name, if they could run fast or not etc.
              The Head of the college at the time went on to become Comissioner.
              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Lads on Traffic Blues had similar issues; it's just that the accompanying program was so sterile, nobody watched it. There's only so many times you can watch someone getting stopped for speeding. Any sort of variety was few & far between.
                "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

I like 24 hrs in Police Custody, I could imagine a successful 24 hrs in Garda Custody.
                  Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                  Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                  The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                  The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                  The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                  Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                    I like 24 hrs in Police Custody, I could imagine a successful 24 hrs in Garda Custody.
                    It's a great programme, but a Garda version would require serious editing to remove the delay between writing down every question & answer.

Comment

You know, that show wasn't all bad. I thought it gave a pretty realistic view to the civvy viewer of what is expected from recruits in training. I could have done with subtitles for some of the accents though.
                      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Some interesting comments on the RTE one FB page about the level of cursing.......
                        To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

I thought it was a good programme. The NCOs and Officer came across well.
                          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

I was pleasantly surprised, judging by RTÉ's previous efforts. It could have been longer than two episodes, I wonder if they were testing the waters.

Comment

I thought it was good. Some ejits on social media giving out about the cursing,
                              Silly, it's the military not trabolgon!
                              Im Ron Burgendy??

Comment

Why were they wearing gutties ?

Comment

Working...
                                X