X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
    In what century?
    Depends where you were from. used to be know as 'rubber dollies ' in Cork
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
      The road from the Glen to the Curragh. Best covered in a vehicle of some sort. Preferably not on foot. Much nicer when in seen from the turret of an AFV.
      Low hanging branches - ooh, dunno bout that
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

There is a point where endlessly turfing over good work done by a recruit goes from making a point to just breaking morale. I understand all that good stuff about building up mental and moral resilience but any teacher will tell you that breaking the learning curve by punishing people for achieving and exceeding a high standard is counter productive. Up to a point, it works and has meaning but endlessly grinding people is negative. I'll bet the retention rate later on makes interesting reading. In my apprentice class of 47, by year five, we were down to 12, having done the initial 16 weeks and the later 3-star course. When we asked lads why they were leaving, it was universally about getting the apprenticeship papers and being fed up with the bullshit, the endless grind of NCOs on power trips and all the rest. It must have cost the State a fortune yet it appeared to matter not a jot and the cycle continued for a very long time.....like some of the posters here have said, this series was too short and didn't show the later stuff, which matters for career development. Incidentally, my careers guidance councillor wife watched the shows very keenly and will be showing it to her classes, primarily as an eye-opener.

Comment

I agree that endless creasing will eventually be counter productive. In last night's episode the Sgt admitted that, and there was a marked contrast of the level of punishment being dealt out. In relation to your experience on the apprenticeships, I think that was the particular problem with how the DF ran those courses, essentially you were treated as recruits for the entire duration which is far too long for bollicking and creasing to have any meaningful affect.

Comment

But we all know that you will always find an error dirt etc if you look hard enough. You shouldn't be easily (or even with a bit of looking) able to find any!

It is about showing them the standards expected and discipline. And being ready at a moments notice.

It is also about progression. Eg the Tp Comd inspection where they did well and got praise where it was due

Comment

The Indo has run with it - the comments section has more window-lickers than usual posting in it

'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
              'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
              Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
              He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
              http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

What an embarrassment. Haven't seen the series yet, I'm referring to the publics response. People referring to human rights dignity at work. Ffs, this is what the DF gets for hiding the true face of their training and overseas operations for so long.

And yeah, Commando school was dog turd. Glad to see the DF (apparently) produced a better series.

Comment

when the 25 year old's mammy and daddy popped up I am like ? wut ? Perhaps friends instead?
                  "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Was Duffy told to leave in the end or did he leave by his own accord? I think he was treated very leniently after being caught bringing a lighter load than the rest of his troop and then going AWOL to Waterford for the day.

Comment

• Christopher Booker’s lengthy and divisive 2004 book The Seven Basic Plots: Why We Tell Stories argues that every piece of fiction ever written — every novel, every play, every film, every television drama and situation comedy — uses one of seven set plots to tell its story.

Comment

• What about the bulling of boots? I thought that went out with the Stone Age? Did they only get No 2s at the end of the training? what about classroom tuition? Neither sight nor sound of any?

Comment

• They probably did only get their No 2s at the end of training. I also noticed that at least 2 of them had no cap badge and it was at least 6 weeks into training. The obviously did do classroom stuff, it just didn't make the cut in the documentary, after all they did lose their weekend leave for not cleaning the section room properly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                            Low hanging branches - ooh, dunno bout that
                            Remember that's why armour has wire cutters, for when the cav are not being observant

Comment

• Originally posted by kaiser View Post
                              Remember that's why armour has wire cutters, for when the cav are not being observant
                              yes, they prefer to drive gun barrels into trees instead
                              "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                              "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                                I agree that endless creasing will eventually be counter productive. In last night's episode the Sgt admitted that, and there was a marked contrast of the level of punishment being dealt out. In relation to your experience on the apprenticeships, I think that was the particular problem with how the DF ran those courses, essentially you were treated as recruits for the entire duration which is far too long for bollicking and creasing to have any meaningful affect.
                                Not to mention the pay for the duration which is nothing short of an insult.
                                To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Working...
                                X