No announcement yet.

Recalling a FIRE on L.E. CLIONA 29th May 1962

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big stink is one thing, but pissing off the decision makers won't help your case either.
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Appeasing them won't help either

Comment

Well if someone you didn't know came up to you, insulted you and then asked for something, would your response by any chance rhyme with duck off.
        It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
        It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
        It was a new age...It was the end of history.
        It was the year everything changed.

Comment

There may have been lack of bottle by some of those in charge. Outcomes of Courts of Inquiry could be fraught as there was a punitive mindset deciding the outcomes for the participants. One non-swimmer officer was rapped for not wearing his tin hat and lifejacket as per exercise opord. The lifejacket was given away to a visitor and the helmet is not noted for it's floating characteristics! PK was a good man and was glad to escape green wrath and not rock the boat. The philosophy was don't draw attention or wrath on the Navy, as they were regarded as embryonic in military and administrative skills. But that was then and we are here now fully fledged and ready.
          My vintage are proud of Pat and Willie and wish them a happy outcome.

Comment

The DoD seem to be having a change of mind about this, I understand.

No coincidence that the New CoS is a Naval man.
            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
              The DoD seem to be having a change of mind about this, I understand.

No coincidence that the New CoS is a Naval man.
              I think there is to much of case being made especially around how the statute of limitations was over looked for the Tramore Accident crew, and some reminding how DSMs were awarded back in 1981 to tow crew on LE Aisling for a similar occurrence.

Lesson to those in the DoD not to try do battle with people who have very specific information and good memories.

I think Peter Mulvany is to be congratulated on his presentation and sheer doggedness of the case,
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Belated naval awards

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                I think there is to much of case being made especially around how the statute of limitations was over looked for the Tramore Accident crew, and some reminding how DSMs were awarded back in 1981 to tow crew on LE Aisling for a similar occurrence.

Lesson to those in the DoD not to try do battle with people who have very specific information and good memories.

I think Peter Mulvany is to be congratulated on his presentation and sheer doggedness of the case,
                The 1st APRIL is almost upon us and we continue to await the exceedingly slow resolution of an obviously well earned recognition of L.E. Cliona's crew members bravery and dedication. At least one of the brave few is in his 80's. Perhaps somebody in authority will sign off and implement the required action.

Comment

Recognition

Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                  The 1st APRIL is almost upon us and we continue to await the exceedingly slow resolution of an obviously well earned recognition of L.E. Cliona's crew members bravery and dedication. At least one of the brave few is in his 80's. Perhaps somebody in authority will sign off and implement the required action.
                  I believe four Naval personnel, who were on board LE Cliona, and were recognised as having done exemplary acts, to save the ship, on 29th May 1962, are each to receive a SCROLL, one posthumously , and also a suitable inscribed plaque will be unveiled. If the memorial occasion is in Haulbowline, I hope the elderly will be transported to the base by suitable means. BZ to my shipmates.

Comment

I believe four Naval personnel, who were on board LE Cliona, and were recognised as having done exemplary acts, to save the ship, on 29th May 1962, are each to receive a SCROLL, one posthumously , and also a suitable inscribed plaque will be unveiled. If the memorial occasion is in Haulbowline, I hope the elderly will be transported to the base by suitable means. BZ to my shipmates.
                    Details was posted on another thread a few months ago.

Originally posted by Kieran Marum
                    DAIL ANSWERS Tuesday 17th May 2016

Naval Service

1220. Deputy Jim Daly asked the Taoiseach and Minister for Defence the status of a pending report on the circumstances surrounding an incident on the LÉ Cliona in May 1962; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [10510/16]

Taoiseach and Minister for Defence (Deputy Enda Kenny): In light of a number of representations and parliamentary questions received in relation to the incident on board the LÉ Cliona on 29 May 1962, my predecessor, Minister Coveney requested that the Chief of Staff have the circumstances surrounding the incident reviewed. A Board was duly convened by the Deputy Chief of Staff (Support) on 13 October 2015.

The Board’s report recommended that Lieutenant O'Mahony, Able Stoker Mynes and two others, Chief E.R.A. Egan and Chief Stoker O’Callaghan, be presented with a letter/scroll of Commendation (posthumously in the case of Chief Stoker O’Callaghan) for their brave and decisive actions in bringing the fire on board the LÉ Cliona under control. The report also recommended that the ship’s company should be publically acknowledged particularly for the team effort made in ensuring the safe return of the ship to port, once the fire had been brought under control.

Following consideration of the report, Minister Coveney accepted the report’s recommendations and, to this end, it is intended to hold a ceremony in Haulbowline Naval Base at which the scrolls of commendation will be presented and a plaque will be unveiled in acknowledgment of the team effort of the ship’s company in relation to the incident.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                      Details was posted on another thread a few months ago.
                      Very nice! however a recipient was only informed around the 7th July in a confirmation letter, that he was getting the proposed award.

Comment

Naval Awards granted

Very nice! however a recipient was only informed around the 7th July in a confirmation letter, that he was getting the proposed award.
                        At last there is recognition for a job well done in fighting a fire aboard LE Cliona, On 29th May 1962 , resulting in saving the ship and returning her and her crew safely to port. I,m delighted they had their day of Honour richly deserved and broadcast to the Nation.
                        Last edited by ancientmariner; 7 September 2016, 17:56.

Comment

Working...
                        X