Army Barracks as used to house refugees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
    I WOULD take it personally if I was you. I never experienced anything like that, and nobody I know ever told me anything like that.

But let's not distract the thread with tales of out youth any more.
    Minus the armed police I had similar experiences - on one memorable occasion I was made to sit in the arrivals hall at Heathrow for around two hours because there wasn't enough detail on my landing card. At the time I was returning to my job in the UK civil service following a visit home for a family funeral.

Phone calls to Ireland were routinely monitored at the time also (1980's). They must have been listening in an open office because I could often hear other peoples phone conversations in the background.

Having said that I was once returning via Dublin airport with missus and babe in arms and the gate security chap reached over to take the little one out of the wife's arms for scanning. She objected, he was a jobs worth with no people skills and she nearly decked him......

Attitudes to Irish people in the UK changed markedly from around 1990 onwards.

Comment

Some border agent tried giving me shit for being in possesion of my own British Military ID pass this summer. This was in the UK. Idiots everywhere.

Comment

I had to eat 6 bags of Tayto cheese and onion at an airport in Hong Kong because the authorities wouldn't let me travel through to Australia with that amount of foodstuffs. They then gave me the ultimatum to eat them or put them in the bin.

I did my patriotic duty.
        To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Originally posted by HavocIRL View Post
          I had to eat 6 bags of Tayto cheese and onion at an airport in Hong Kong because the authorities wouldn't let me travel through to Australia with that amount of foodstuffs. They then gave me the ultimatum to eat them or put them in the bin.

I did my patriotic duty.

Comment

I did my patriotic duty.
            There aren't enough HavocIRLs around.
            I knew a simple soldier boy.....
            Who grinned at life in empty joy,
            Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
            And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
            With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
            He put a bullet through his brain.
            And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
            Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
            Sneak home and pray you'll never know
            The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

Read latest breaking news, updates, and headlines. The Province offers information on latest national and international events & more.

It is now alleged by an Iraqi family that the father of the drowned Syrian boy was working as a people smuggler and was at the time of his family's death piloting the boat.

He's been quick to point the finger of blame at the Canadian authorities who apparently turned down his asylum application, despite the fact there's no record of him applying. He has a sister who lives in British Columbia and guess what, she's sponsoring him to go and make the trip again.
              To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

How was he able to get back to Kobane so fast to bury his kids?

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                  How was he able to get back to Kobane so fast to bury his kids?
                  Because Kobane is a few hundred yards from the Turkish Border and he was already in Turkey?
                  For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Well, he showed remarkable facility to do so, given that it's quite a way from the site of his own tragedy. I'm sure he got help to get back and get the burials sorted and all that but I get the impression that there's more to that tragic boat journey than meets the eye. Incidentally, there were at least six other kids washed up on the same stretch of beach at the same time as the unfortunate 3 yr old.

Comment

One being his brother.

Comment

Migrant crisis: The truth about the boy on the beach Aylan Kurdi

PICTURES of little Alan Kurdi’s washed up body shocked the world. But the story behind his tragic death is more complicated than it first appeared.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                          One being his brother.
                          Both of whom were a victim of their father's criminal negligence and poor decision making.

You still haven't addressed how you were justified in calling me a racist Na Grohmiti.

Comment

Both of whom were a victim of their father's criminal negligence and poor decision making.

You still haven't addressed how you were justified in calling me a racist Na Grohmiti.
                            Did I actually call you a racist, or did you decide I did?

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                              Did I actually call you a racist, or did you decide I did?
                              Yes you did, twice in fact.

Some of the comments here really make me fear for this country. Riots? Bums? It is great to see the traditional irish racism coming back out again.
                              Referring to posts myself and Morpheus made. I've highlighted the part where you said racism above, just in case you missed it.

When I read that all I see is the typical joe duffy caller saying "I'm not a Racist, I just don't like Nigerians".
                              The above was your response to my initial accusation of you calling me racist. You'll note you indirectly called me a racist and even worse a joe duffy caller...

I once again highlighted the part where you used the term racist, again, just in case you missed it.

Comment

I apologise profusely If you also think I called you a Joe Duffy caller. But I definitely did not call you racist. Unless you think I did.

Comment

Working...
                                X