Funnel art?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funnel art?

Admittedly off topic, but looking at the news reports reminded me, what's the symbol on Beckett's funnel, and when did it get put on, I don't remember seeing it before...

Funnel Logos

Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
    Admittedly off topic, but looking at the news reports reminded me, what's the symbol on Beckett's funnel, and when did it get put on, I don't remember seeing it before...
    Some ships have them. They are often cartoon characters. They are of informal status. Not fond of them, are often too topical or personal, but subsequent crews are stuck with them. It's a sort of Desert Rats thing on a Donald Duck scale. She hadn't got it at the Annual Inspection in July, so now she/he has her/his first tattoo. Good luck all round in the Mediterranean.

Comment

They are of informal status. Not fond of them, are often too topical or personal, but subsequent crews are stuck with them.
      Chosen to characterize the ships, I wouldn't have said they were unique to specific crews. Eithne has had a couple in the past, some like Emers, Pepe le peu , was very humourous.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
        Chosen to characterize the ships, I wouldn't have said they were unique to specific crews. Eithne has had a couple in the past, some like Emers, Pepe le peu , was very humourous.

Correct.

To my knowledge:

LE Deirdre - Wooly Mammoth - Original of the specises (First of the class)
        LE Emer - Pepe le Peu - she once had issues with her sewege system and stank as a result
        LE Aoife - Witch - The Wicked Witch of the West
        LE Aisling - Mohican Indian - Last of the Mohicans (Last of her class)
        LE Eithne - Pink panther - There's only one (Only of her class)
        - Simba - THe King of the pride - Flagship of the fleet
        - Jaguar / Panther ...... Not sure of this one
        LE Orla - Yosemite Sam - The Coastal Cowboy, with Distinguished Service Medal once awarded to the ship
        LE Ciara - Road Runner - The fasted ship in the fleet
        LE Roisin - Taz..... Again Not sure here
        LE Niamh - Asian Dragon - First ship of the fleet to go to Asia
        LE Samuel Beckett - Haven't seen it yet.

I'm open to correction on any of the above.
        Scheduled fun will commence at 1900Hrs.
        Punishment beatings will continue until moral improves.

Comment

Funnel mascot.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
            Funnel mascot.

In this one the force is strong..
            "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
            Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
            Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Brilliant. Between the "Star Wars technology" label it got in the media - and one of its first duties after commissioning, I guess it was inevitable

Comment

I say we should call the three ships the Jedi class and put Obi Wan and Luke on James Joyce and WB Yeats.
                It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
                It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
                It was a new age...It was the end of history.
                It was the year everything changed.

Comment

Has anyone any photos of LE Eithne bearing the "Pink Panther" on her funnels?
                  Scheduled fun will commence at 1900Hrs.
                  Punishment beatings will continue until moral improves.

Comment

Yes, trapped on a non Win10 compliant hard drive. If someone has a link to the original IMO gallery, it may be found there.
                    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

New one on the way for P52 apparently

Havent spotted it on the funnel yet though.

Spotted it on a t-shirt on a lad today though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0.02.01.07fb21b9bdca56b6101973ebd059bcab5a9688b8d321354dfabdc2b4c3813589_full.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	698096
                      Last edited by A/TEL; 9 August 2016, 19:46.

Comment

P52 never got the original funnel art it was promised. What became of the Asian dragon?
                        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                          P52 never got the original funnel art it was promised. What became of the Asian dragon?

Its up on the funnel!!!. Hard to see but its there

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                            It did LE Niamh is "Wanderly the Dragon" and I know it is up to the crew and the crew alone yet I think it is pure bad form to chang a mascot.

especially with the lengths to which the competition was ran, Wanderly it should remain.

He belongs to the crew at the time however.

This is like the sh1t with Eithne and each new CO changing it it willy nilly.

Eithne should have remained the Pink Panter.

Comment

Dunno how they picked the new one but its looks brighter than the dragon.Can barely make the dragon out.

I like the way the 3 big operations the ship was involved in are on his arm though. Like a roll of honour

Comment

Working...
                              X