The Russians in Syria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HavocIRL View Post
    Wasn't there a story from the Balkans where the Russians seized an airport and a US General ordered a British unit to take the airfield back "with force if necessary". British Commander refused to follow the order fearing his actions would be misinterpreted and they'd end up shooting at each other.
    (General Sir) Mike Jackson and James Blunt

"In 1999, Blunt served as an armoured reconnaissance officer in the NATO deployment in Kosovo. Initially assigned to reconnaissance of the Republic of Macedonia-Yugoslavia border, Blunt and his unit worked ahead of the front lines directing forces and targeting Serb positions for the NATO bombing campaign. His unit was given the assignment of securing the Pristina International Airport in advance of the 30,000-strong peacekeeping force; however the Russian army had moved in and taken control of the airport before his unit's arrival. American NATO commander Wesley Clark ordered that Blunt's unit forcibly take the airport from the Russian contingent. However, after Blunt queried the order, Mike Jackson, Blunt's superior officer, and Blunt himself refused to comply fearing greater consequences, with Jackson stating that they were "not going to start the Third World War" for Clark.[19][20][21] The airport would eventually be shared peacefully by Blunt's unit and the Russians. There were less intense moments during Blunt's Kosovo assignment. Blunt had brought along his guitar, strapped to the outside of his tank. At some places, the peacekeepers would share a meal with hospitable locals, and Blunt would perform. It was while on duty there that he wrote the song "No Bravery".[22]"

wiki wiki wiki .... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Blunt

Comment

Clearly the only solution to the current crisis is to parachute James Blunt into Syria...

ropebag... I have a cunning plan.

Comment

Originally posted by pym View Post
        Clearly the only solution to the current crisis is to parachute James Blunt into Syria...

ropebag... I have a cunning plan.
        Very glib - but he was first in ....

On the Syria front ... only if he brings his guitar
        Last edited by Orion; 2 October 2015, 02:08.

Comment

I see Russia has been accused of killing US backed rebels in Syria. Maybe the US should not have been backing rebels and attempting to destabilise the government there in the first place.

Commander of group that has received CIA training says camp in Idlib province was struck by about 20 missiles in two separate sorties
          What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

The Russians communicated their intent to start bombing via Washington, via offical contact channels. No Russian on earth would be allowed to casually walk into any American facility. You can be sure that every move by every Russian aircraft and ship is being closely watched, physically and electronically by the US.....Gen Jackson's decision was not universally welcomed at many levels, not least on the ground in Pristina. The Russians had openly sided with the Serbs at every level and constantly obstructed Allied troops at every level, so there was a mood to give the Russians a toe up the arse. The Russians were hated by the Kosovars, who returned the favour and made live difficult at the airport. Clark ultimately lost the shouting match when the British high command backed their man, even though there was a strong undercurrent of sympathy for Clark's desire to stop the Russians.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
              The Russians communicated their intent to start bombing via Washington, via offical contact channels. No Russian on earth would be allowed to casually walk into any American facility. You can be sure that every move by every Russian aircraft and ship is being closely watched, physically and electronically by the US.....Gen Jackson's decision was not universally welcomed at many levels, not least on the ground in Pristina. The Russians had openly sided with the Serbs at every level and constantly obstructed Allied troops at every level, so there was a mood to give the Russians a toe up the arse. The Russians were hated by the Kosovars, who returned the favour and made live difficult at the airport. Clark ultimately lost the shouting match when the British high command backed their man, even though there was a strong undercurrent of sympathy for Clark's desire to stop the Russians.
              Makes you wonder what might have been if it was US troops in the place of the Brits
              To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
                This is why intervention by proxy doesn't work. The West ****ed up by sitting on their hands and Putin is cleaning up big time at home and on the world stage.
                The West always ****s up... because we are damned if we do something, and damned if we don't. I will quote someone I do not know, who commented an article about ISIS in Canada's National Post a few months ago:

The Progressive Left is always setting it's collective hair afire when women or historic artifacts are threatened by ISIS-like thugs and there is always a cry for 'someone to do something'. 'Someone' is code for the US and 'something' is code for military force. Immediately as 'someone' does 'something', these same folks make a one- eighty and attack the 'someone' doing the 'something'. The Progressive Left is addicted to the feeling of being concerned and will seek it whatever side of an issue they can. They rationalize this addiction with moral relativism which they feel excuses them to committing to one side of an issue or the other. They are the ultimate fence sitters
                "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

Originally posted by HavocIRL View Post
                  I don't like the idea of the US and Russia firing weapons anywhere near each other.

Wasn't there a story from the Balkans where the Russians seized an airport and a US General ordered a British unit to take the airfield back "with force if necessary". British Commander refused to follow the order fearing his actions would be misinterpreted and they'd end up shooting at each other.

Or am I just talking through my arse again? Could've sworn I read it somewhere
                  I remember that story I think the British Officer was Jackson ? Told the American he had no intention of starting WW3. ?

Comment

Originally posted by sofa View Post
                    I remember that story I think the British Officer was Jackson ? Told the American he had no intention of starting WW3. ?
                    Sorry, should have read all the replies before typing the above.

Comment

The West always ****s up......Could "someone" define "West" for me? I generally find the term too vague for any practical use.

Comment

Originally posted by Galloglass View Post
                        The West always ****s up......Could "someone" define "West" for me? I generally find the term too vague for any practical use.
                        western countries
                        'western' defines a region conventionally designated West, stemming from the Greco-Roman traditions, relating to democratic countries of Europe and America.

'western countries' are democratic countries, countries stemming from the Greco-Roman traditions.
                        Source: http://www.urbandictionary.com

In this context, I use the term "West" to identify those countries that conduct military operations in the name of all democracies, usually of an expeditionary nature. It also refers to western populations, who always want something to be done, then turn around and self-flagellates when they realise we cannot prosecute the "perfect" war.
                        Last edited by Jungle; 2 October 2015, 22:37.
                        "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

I find it odd that in this day and age we can be so sure that the militants France are targeting by air strikes are all ISIS, but the ones Russia are targeting are all US backed anti Assad good guys.

How can they be so sure from so many thousand feet above?
                          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle View Post
                            Source: http://www.urbandictionary.com

In this context, I use the term "West" to identify those countries that conduct military operations in the name of all democracies, usually of an expeditionary nature. It also refers to western populations, who always want something to be done, then turn around and self-flagellates when they realise we cannot prosecute the "perfect" war.
                            Guess that includes Russia and Saudi too then as they "conduct military operations in the name of all democracies, usually of an expeditionary nature" too. Sounds like "colonial gunboats" to me Jungle.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                              I find it odd that in this day and age we can be so sure that the militants France are targeting by air strikes are all ISIS, but the ones Russia are targeting are all US backed anti Assad good guys.

How can they be so sure from so many thousand feet above?
                              PID, location, humint, post-strike BDA...

Never give up!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Galloglass View Post
                                Guess that includes Russia and Saudi too then as they "conduct military operations in the name of all democracies, usually of an expeditionary nature" too. Sounds like "colonial gunboats" to me Jungle.
                                Saudi Arabia is not a democracy, and Russia is not part of western Europe or America.

Never give up!!"

Comment

Working...
                                X