Flags to schools.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not about high jacking the event.

Parents who are in service are welcome to attend in No1s at their childerns school is all.

This is not just about the delivery of flags, this is about the reclamation of oglaigh na heireann and the restoration of pride in the tri colour and the proclamation from which we derive our modern interpretation of irish destiny.

These are school kids whosee parents are in the DF, the kids have seen mam or dad in uniform and they get a thrill from seeing their mam or dad there.

As much as I wouldn't shed much of tear to see the sham of a reserve we have disbanded they are part of the DF and until such time as the powers that be see sense they will remain so and thus be allowed to attend.

There is no days leave needed if the person can be released the unit is asked to do so.

The whole thing is costed and updated on a nearly daily basis.

No vetting nesscessary as this does not fall within the working with children quidelines which are freely available online if you would like to view them.

The only vetting I know off was that the requirements stated for the volunteers to be of military bearing and deemed to be suitable by the OiCs.

Meaning don't send out the muppets that each unit has.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser View Post
      Why are others turning up in uniform?? To hijack this event? Are the pdf getting a days leave etc why turn up in uniform is it a self promotion thing, I'm a soldier look at my uniform or I have No 1,s and I'm in reserve .
      How about , im a soldier, ,maybe full time, or part time, but im a volunteer nonetheless and i'm a patriotic and proud member of the defence forces, proud of this nations heritage and history, and yes, even just a little proud that i have taken an oath and chosen to serve, whether full time or part time. if someone else chooses not to do so, then that also is their own business.
      "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
      "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Personally I didn't go to the event in my kids school in uniform ,as I would have felt they I was looking for attention rather than adding to the event, I went in civvies and enjoyed the event just as much.

Comment

One of the side benefits of the Flags to Schools program is that it promotes the DF in the community. If the visiting team is augmented by parents who also wear the uniform it can only reinforce a positive image.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser View Post
            Why are others turning up in uniform?? To hijack this event? Are the pdf getting a days leave etc why turn up in uniform is it a self promotion thing, I'm a soldier look at my uniform or I have No 1,s and I'm in reserve .
            I really can't add much to toolbox and B20.

Once upon a time people were proud to wear their uniform.

Now it seems people only wear No1s when they have to.
            I couldn't attend.
            My daughter was disappointed.
            She especially wanted me to attend in uniform.

Comment

Flying high: Air Corps delivers the Tricolour to islands

Sgt Mark Dunne ensures a clear final approach while Lt Col Verling Donnagh holds the proclamation and national flag with airman Stephen Gleeson (right) before they deliver the Proclamation and the national flag to schools off the northwest Donegal island of Arranmore.

The children of Tory and Arranmore islands off the coast of Donegal rarely have visitors dropping by - but this was one special flying visit.

The Defence Forces have been touring the country, delivering the Tricolour and a copy of the Proclamation to every national school ahead of the centenary commemorations of the Rising this Easter.

And island children are not missing out - although our inclement weather has meant they have had a long wait as previous attempts have been called off.

The Air Corps, accompanied by the Irish Independent, flew to Tory and Arranmore islands yesterday - and fog nearly scuppered the mission once again.

However, the crew were given permission to use Northern Ireland's airspace, which allowed us to fly the "long route" around Belfast to Malin Head, before reaching the islands.

First up was Arranmore, where we visited Scoil Aphóirt and Scoil Árainn Mhór - both of which have fewer than 20 pupils each. Led by Lt Colonel Ronan Verling, the Proclamation was read out to the class, before the Tricolour was presented to the school.

Then it was off to Tory, where we visited Scoil Náisiúnta, which has just nine pupils. All of the children said they knew of the Rising, but one little boy from Scoil Náisiúnta summed it up best, saying: "It was a big fight in Dublin between the Rebels and the British."
              The children of Tory and Arranmore islands off the coast of Donegal rarely have visitors dropping by - but this was one special flying visit.

Comment

I was a little uncomfortable with the idea that Army officers should be invited to visit schools to talk about a document prepared by a small group of people which initiated a campaign that involved violence…which, to put it at its least, was not supported by the majority of the people at the time it was undertaken,’’ he added.

“I think the Army, because it is a non-political force, should be kept separate from anything that has any colour of political advocacy.’’

It's usual to voice an opinion after linking to an article, but as mine's unprintable, I'll desist.

Comment

Well he should give back his pension and leave the country if he feels that way .
                  Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

It is exactly because the army is Apolitical that they are best qualified to pass on the message.

He was always an asshole, and only became unelected Taoiseach because labour jumped ship from the Reynolds Government. His tenure as Taoiseach led the electorate into believing FF would be best in government for the next 3 Dail. And we know how that ended. That said Bruton has always been a Redmondite and has considered the Rising a mistake.
                    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                      Flying high: Air Corps delivers the Tricolour to islands

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-34380576.html

Full marks to the Ac for including an Irish speaker for that particular flag gig.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                        It is exactly because the army is Apolitical that they are best qualified to pass on the message.

He was always an asshole, and only became unelected Taoiseach because labour jumped ship from the Reynolds Government. His tenure as Taoiseach led the electorate into believing FF would be best in government for the next 3 Dail. And we know how that ended. That said Bruton has always been a Redmondite and has considered the Rising a mistake.
                        Completely agree Na Gromhití. The DF showed it's commitment to democracy when power was originally transferred peacefully from Cumann na nGaedheal to Fianna Fail. One FF TD (reputedly armed) at the time was "uncertain" whether the army would salute or shoot.

Comment

I hope that after the Air Corps left that school both pupils and teachers knew not to deface the flag in future.

Comment

Violence or not, Supported or not by the people, we as a nation have decided that event in our history even though a Jebediah Springfield moment is our rallying point in history. Bruton should cop on and play along. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_the_Iconoclast
                            And as for his mule impressions when he laughts.

Comment

Originally posted by sofa View Post
                              Violence or not, Supported or not by the people, we as a nation have decided that event in our history even though a Jebediah Springfield moment is our rallying point in history. Bruton should cop on and play along.

A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
                              It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
                              It was a new age...It was the end of history.
                              It was the year everything changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Galloglass View Post
                                Completely agree Na Gromhití. The DF showed it's commitment to democracy when power was originally transferred peacefully from Cumann na nGaedheal to Fianna Fail. One FF TD (reputedly armed) at the time was "uncertain" whether the army would salute or shoot.
                                I always understood that the defining moment regarding this was in 1923 when the Gov took control of the DF from the IRB.

Comment

Working...
                                X