Interview Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview Tips

any tips for the upcoming interview and what not to say thanks .

Help us out here. Is it the Astronaut position you are applying for ?

On a more serious note

Are you applying for Cadets/PDF GS/RDF, or what ?
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Sit up straight, talk clearly and be sure to occassionaly look your interviewers in the eye.
      It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Firm handshake, don't be afraid to break the ice as it creates a much more relaxed interview and as bam squared said the way you carry yourself is very important.

I've only ever failed to get one job from an interview and that was for the Cadets, and only after the one interview panel with the psychologist sitting in on it.

Interviews generally follow a routine, first part being "so tell me about yourself/job history" so rehearse this. Keep this part non-specific but if you're able to write it out in bullet points it will help you remember key points you want to convey.

"I worked in X for 3 years, I was a Y as part of a Z section. During my time there I did A, B and C...."

etc
        To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Do not just rattle it off though, that bit can sound rehearsed. Initial contact matters as HI says above.
          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
            Do not just rattle it off though, that bit can sound rehearsed. Initial contact matters as HI says above.
            Agreed, I would hope you'd try and make it sound natural. This is a good place to throw in a little joke about a job you had previously. Nothing taking the piss out of your previous employers as this is a big no no.

Example I use is in my own CV where I show that I joined the army, went to the infantry and then they found out I could type, put me in an office and wouldn't let me do fun things anymore.

From talking to my own bosses I know that they generally are nervous interviewing people so its always good to build a rapport with them as soon as you can. While keeping it professional of course.

Suit and tie, doesn't matter what the job is. If it's a sit down interview a suit and tie is the expected attire.
            To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Know the subject matter....everything you need to know in relation to the job is available from the prospectus, learn it.

No bluffing or bullshitting, no one gives a shit if your great grandaddy was Padraig Pearses script writer.

Don't be afraid to sell yourself, you get one chance, make them think they can't manage without you.

Smile.....drink the water on offer and don't make excuses about being nervous etc.
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I always like to get to the end of the interview when they ask "have you any questions for us?" to which I always ask "what do you not like about working here?". It always throws the interviewer off and reminds them that its a two way decision. Not surprisingly, they always reply "I love working here", then 6 months later you discover on LinkedIn they've gone elsewhere. True story. Twice.

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
                  I always like to get to the end of the interview when they ask "have you any questions for us?" to which I always ask "what do you not like about working here?". It always throws the interviewer off and reminds them that its a two way decision. Not surprisingly, they always reply "I love working here", then 6 months later you discover on LinkedIn they've gone elsewhere. True story. Twice.
                  I interviewed a guy earlier this year for a public sector job. At the interview he was asked any questions, he produced a list longer than the question we had asked him.....didn't get the job!!!
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

It depends on what you are interviewing for. The only interviews I'd be aware of taking place at the moment are the RDF ones. As the RDF is currently as undermanned as it is, I would imagine the "All qualified Applicants" will get in so long as the are eligible, pass the fitness and aren't sociopaths. Stick to the tips above and you'll be fine.

As for cadetship interviews; these are competency based so you would be expected to provide examples of how you have displayed these competencies in your life/career so far. Obviously an 18 year old wouldn't be expected to have as many life experiences but a 24 year old would need to have far more. The interview panel is made up of predominantly military officers and so can smell BS a mile off. It's all about showing interest in the job and selling yourself as the best potential candidate.

Comment

thank you all so much for your replys never got to see them until now, i applied for the PDF passed the interview . just waiting for email on date for medical thank you all so much anyway .

Comment

Working...
                      X