Arktis kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arktis kit

I was perusing the Arktis website a few weeks back and saw stuff on it in Irish DPM. Anyone know what the deal is with it?

They make sniper smocks & stuff for the wing & other small orders. If you do a search you'll find loads of info on them. You can even order their DPM stuff if you want to shell out the considerable amount of money for it.
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

The made the very first Irish DPM for the ARW AFAIK and still make some I think.

Much superior quality and design (much higher price)

Comment

No. Arktis made trial uniforms for the ARW back in 1995/6 but they were in British DPM. The first irish DPM uniforms were made by Portwest in 1998 and were first issued to the Engineers who built Camp Clarke in Kosovo in 1999.
        Arktis make the sniper kits for the whole DF.Not just the wing.The wing are the only ones who are issued the arktis "ranger" trousers.A crye design imitation.
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

I stand corrected

Comment

After the arw made stuf the 2bn were issued the first batch of Irish dpm under trial . There were a good few modifications between that stuff and the actual issue, the 86bn unifil were first full unit overseas deployed in it . The 5bn were the first Irish unit to wear the actual issued gear merely due to the fact that the change over date coincided with them being in the laoise.
            Last edited by kaiser; 15 November 2015, 07:48.

Comment

Now that would be a find for any collector.The trials DPM kit.
              I had a set of the trials smock and pants in OG but stupidly let them go
              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Anyone know much about the process used to decide on the eventual Irish dpm? Be interesting to hear about how the colours and pattern were chosen and what else was looked at...

Comment

right, thought i'd give an update...

i bought the standard Arktis B110 Combat Smock in MTP/Multicam/whatever in late 2014, and i've used it in the Falklands (winter), the UK (everywhere, all year, including a couple of JW's), Norway (winter and summer), and my current palace of delights, Estonia and Poland (on and off for 6 months over Autumn, winter and spring).

inevitably, not being an Infanteer, it hasn't had quite the work out that someone in the Inf would give it, but i've worn it on lots of gunnery and FAC exercises that involved exposed OP's and standing around on gunlines for days on end, working in deployed HQ's under field conditions, several Inf training packages in the UK, and a couple of multi-day foot patrols in the FI in their balmy winter...

the short version is that its great - the build quality and design are superb, and the material is remakably resiliant to the abuse its recieved in the last 3.5 years.

in terms of its weather-proofing and comfort i've found it to be excellent. even during the foot patrols on West Falkland i would say that 70%+ of the time i only wore a baselayer and the smock, it happily coped with south atlantic wind, drizzle, sleet and snow, and dried out within minutes of it stopping. i wash it once a year in Nixwax Tech-Wash and re-proof it with the spray-on TX Direct, and that seems to keep it reasonably weatherproof. using it with the Arktis stowaway (stuffs down to the size a can of coke) windshirt stops even the fiercest wind, and keeps out all but prolonged, heavy rain. in really vile conditions i wear the issue lightweight MVP jacket under it.

its comfortable to wear against the skin in hot weather, but i would say that its not as breathable in such conditions as the old ventile/gabardine windproof smocks - you do feel sweatier than when wearing one of those, but it is definitely more weatherproof and more hardwearing. swings and roundabouts...

sizing seems fine - the Large pretty much matches the 180/104.

Comment

Working...
                  X