Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's the one.
    Not very tactical or practical.
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

I predict a lot of balancing, following by a lot of falling :(

Comment

It does look to be potentially quite unstable. Anybody tried one yet?
        'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
        'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
        Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
        He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
        http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
          It does look to be potentially quite unstable. Anybody tried one yet?
          i've had a go - it was a bit of faff. all the balancing and digging-in shit, and then waiting about a billion years for it to boil.

the world has moved on, i've used gas and petrol/diesel on trips to the arse end of nowhere with no re-supply for 3 weeks and more - this stuff is catering to a world that no longer exists and trying to compete with things that vastly surpass it in every way (ok, almost every way) while also being not very good at what its for.

this stuff (and the other solid fuels on offer) offers just one thing to the bloke on the ground - its not going to go 'bang' if your bergen gets hit. everything else it offers is for the benefit of the logistics chain.

10 minutes to boil a pint of water? bloody hell, i could leave it out in the sun and it would boil quicker!

Comment

Been using an MSR Pocket Rocket for a few years now. It's miles better than a Hexi and packs up nice and small. Did a career course a few years ago and half of us had them, with the other half using Hexis. Guess which half was tucking in to hot rations while the others water was just getting warm?

Comment

Since REI was referenced, if anybody is ever on the west coast of the US, check them out. Awesome store, outdoor heaven :D
              What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Similar store in the deep south

Comment

Originally posted by sofa View Post
                  Similar store in the deep south

www.basspro.com
                  Bass Pro are class. Lived in their store while on work assignment in Arizona
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                    Bass Pro are class. Lived in their store while on work assignment in Arizona
                    +1 - I have spent hours in their weapons section just chatting with the guys there, very knowledgeable and very helpful.
                    “The nation that will insist on drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking done by cowards.”
                    ― Thucydides

Comment

Got my hands on one of the new Zip cookers that have replaced the Hexi yesterday.
                      Very light and so small that you could carry three or four of them and still not be at the same weight as the Hexi cooker.
                      The only drawback is that you cannot store the fuel inside it as it literally folds flat. You need a separate ziplock bag to carry the fuel blocks.These however are individually wrapped.

I have not been issued one myself yet(working on it)but when I am I will do a complete review.

Another new(ish)item is the addition of a drawstring carry bag for the issue poncho.This bag is made from poncho material so should help to keep the rest of your kit dry if you have to put a wet poncho back in with other items.
                      (similar idea to the British issue shelter sheet with carry bag)
                      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

I got one of the UK issue Firedragon stoves and fuel.Very compact.Think a smaller lighter hexi cooker.
                        Will field test soon and report back.(Boiling time etc)

Comment

Tried out the firedragon.
                          Test conditions
                          1/ Cold 5Deg Cel.
                          2/ Slightly windy
                          3/ 1 x Gel capsule.
                          4/ Issue crusader mug 0.5 Ltr cold water

Gel lit immediately.Burned fiercely despite the breeze although having the stove turned into the wind with the windshield attached helped. 11.5 Mins boiling time with no lid and no boil in bag inserted.
                          3/ Mins for stove to cool enough to be packed away. Gunky solidified residue left in the stoves " tray".Easily cleaned out.
                          4/ Sooty residue left all over the bottom and sides of mug.Some of tha came off with a cursory wipe of kitchen towel but the mug needed hot water and washing up liquid to remove entirely.

I would recommend this stove for the following reasons.
                          1/ Lightweight and compact
                          2/ Fuel light very easily and also doubles up as hand sanitiser.
                          3/ Boil time is faster than Hexi and only needed one capsule.
                          4/ no toxic fumes virtually odourless.

The cons.
                          1/ Stove only stores three capsules at one time.
                          2/ If you get a bug out mid brew the liquid could be dangerous and difficult to dispose of in a hurry.
                          3/ Your mug/mess tin will be manky afterwards and so will any item that it comes in contact with.

Comment

Working...
                          X