EU Coastguard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 25 pounder View Post
    This government has bought three new ships, what more do you want, and who's going to pay for them,, you?
    I don't think enda kenny could have said it better. It also gave a ship away and i presume another will follow. When I worked on the Irish steel rehabilitation project we got 200 euro per to ton for scrap metal. Every little helps as they say

Comment

Originally posted by ibenji View Post
      I don't think enda kenny could have said it better. It also gave a ship away and i presume another will follow. When I worked on the Irish steel rehabilitation project we got 200 euro per to ton for scrap metal. Every little helps as they say
      Just to put things into perspective, the ship was transferred at nominal cost. Over half a million euro was subsequently spent by the new owners in the local economy on refits, upgrades and supplies. Scrap values are currently around Euro 30-40 a ton.

Comment

Originally posted by ibenji View Post
        2007?
        A lot has changed since, but you are still you.

Any sympathy for Slab?
        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Comment

Coastguards etc

The Commission's advisors and bureaucrats come up bright ideas such as a border guard of 1500 as a rapid response unit. Such a project is light years away, unless somebody forms , houses, transports, and equips such a force and give it a mandate and a command structure. Ships used as a seagoing element of such a force needs to be manned by commissioned officers with crew subject to State Naval/military law. Finally the EU's bright ideas need to be financed and maintained by the Commission.

Comment

Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
              The Commission's advisors and bureaucrats come up bright ideas such as a border guard of 1500 as a rapid response unit. Such a project is light years away, unless somebody forms , houses, transports, and equips such a force and give it a mandate and a command structure. Ships used as a seagoing element of such a force needs to be manned by commissioned officers with crew subject to State Naval/military law. Finally the EU's bright ideas need to be financed and maintained by the Commission.
              With you all the way. I have personally asked commission 'whose flag', they say they will find a Member State. Then you point out that it will not be a State vessel and thus not have the powers accorded to such and they respond with a bunch of waffle. This has been going on for some time but advantage was taken of the 2015 migrant crisis to push the idea harder. Money won't be the issue, there is a considerable amount of that swilling around, the problem is that there is no understanding what the full-time ownership and operation of a vessel/aircraft/helicopter actually means.

Comment

Looks like FRONTEX has morphed into an EU Coastguard

Comment

I wonder will they get posted to the (potential) new border between us and our neighbors to the North?
                  What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Only if we join Schengen

Comment

If the Brexit causes the end to the Common Travel Area with the UK, I'd say there is a good chance that we will
                      What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ODIN View Post
                        If the Brexit causes the end to the Common Travel Area with the UK, I'd say there is a good chance that we will
                        With all this registering of foreigners etc the CTA could be under threat.

The last I heard though they wanted to retain it (we need it).

The CTA can be retained IMHO with BREXIT (but expect more checks).

If we were to join Schegen the CTA would have to go. Therefore I'd say that we would only join Schegen if they ended the CTA

Comment

Would that mean a real coastal CG being deployed here.

Comment

Don't know. Our Navy are filling a sole all-round function in that Department. We could request EU aid, under such a concept to beef up our Border Defence capabilities.
                            As we know, we are not in Schengen because the Brits are not in it, the reason being to maintain the Common Travel Area. I do not believe the EU will like our proposal that nothing will change!!

Comment

The real use of the CTA these days relates to the border with Northern Ireland. Increased checks will only be useful if either applied at the border, or between NI and the rest of the UK. The border has been, historically, unenforceable for movement.
                              The only time any movement controls applied to Ireland (partially suspending the CTA in fact if not declaration) was during WW2 and until ,IIRC, about 1950. It had the effect of Britain treating travellers from NI as if they were coming from the south. Unionists were not happy.
                              I'm not sure that technology would really alter that effect if the CTA were to end. There might be a return to as "hard" a border as they can make it, but if the concern is immigration then I believe NI will still have to be isolated from Britain. It is a big can of worms.

Comment

CTA and Border Security.

Originally posted by expat01 View Post
                                The real use of the CTA these days relates to the border with Northern Ireland. Increased checks will only be useful if either applied at the border, or between NI and the rest of the UK. The border has been, historically, unenforceable for movement.
                                The only time any movement controls applied to Ireland (partially suspending the CTA in fact if not declaration) was during WW2 and until ,IIRC, about 1950. It had the effect of Britain treating travellers from NI as if they were coming from the south. Unionists were not happy.
                                I'm not sure that technology would really alter that effect if the CTA were to end. There might be a return to as "hard" a border as they can make it, but if the concern is immigration then I believe NI will still have to be isolated from Britain. It is a big can of worms.
                                Since retirement I have traveled a lot into Britain and through Britain to USA etc. Because of chaos caused by the prophets followers the depth and degree of checks has grown and evolved into tightly controlled borders and well scrutinised documentation. I think travel will continue with current restrictions but the major problem will be trade and tariffs, currency restrictions, banking, and some goods and services.
                                The other conundrum is , will THE IRELAND ACT 1949, continue as before, which granted historic rights, and treated Irish people in the UK, on an equal footing with UK citizens in most crucial areas. They of course have reciprocal rights here.

Comment

Working...
                                X