Dislikes Dislikes:  3
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EU Coastguard

Post Thanks / Like

EU Coastguard

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release....htm?locale=en

I wander could the NS be involved?

Post Thanks / Like
    More likely that Ireland will opt out to "protect neutrality" or some such waffle.
    What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Chief Casey Ryback
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ODIN View Post
    More likely that Ireland will opt out to "protect neutrality" or some such waffle.
    Or because our Coast Guard does not have ships .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ODIN View Post
    Possibly answering my own question but appears this may be just Schegen countries (Ireland isn't one)

Quote Originally Posted by Laners View Post
    Or any security / border control function

Chief Casey Ryback
    Post Thanks / Like
    We should send the two Customs cutters , the're doing feck all here anyway.
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laners View Post
    Most/best easily deployable asset the IRCG has are the wireless operators in the 3 coastal radio stations, good comms are needed everywhere that a good outcome is expected.

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    The whole EU Border & Coastguard concept is a monster of epic proportions, if you have the option of staying out, I would do so. Basically, the technocrats in Brussels have seized the opportunity offered by the current migration crisis to try and establish a European-wide force over which they have exclusive control to the extent that, if their 'experts' deem necessary, they can commence operations in the territorial seas of a Member State deemed to be unable or unwilling to cope with migration issues, even without that State's approval. Sounds good on paper but where does it end? Something that undermines the basic concept of state sovereignty isn't good for the participants nor for any other coastal state.

8. Thanks sofa thanked for this post
    BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not to mention the cost of an uber quango that would more than likely attract more allowances for eu politicians

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    As we can see in the latest white paper, this Fine Gael government is failing to protect the Irish shore by way of under resourcing the naval service, maybe it is time for Europe to do so in the formation of a European coast guard.

11. Dislikes Shaqra, Galloglass disliked this post
    Private 3*
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ibenji View Post
    As we can see in the latest white paper, this Fine Gael government is failing to protect the Irish shore by way of under resourcing the naval service, maybe it is time for Europe to do so in the formation of a European coast guard.
    This government has bought three new ships, what more do you want, and who's going to pay for them,, you?

13. Dislikes Dogwatch disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 25 pounder View Post
    This government has bought three new ships
    No they have replaced 3 ships

15. Likes ibenji liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This government has bought three new ships, what more do you want, and who's going to pay for them,, you?
    we are paying for them anyway
    plus we blow the equivalent of almost the entire DF budget in overseas aid each year, cut that.
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

17. Likes sofa, The real Jack, Herald liked this post
    Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    As pointed out replacing 3 ships that were at their end of life isn't exactly a massive change, nor when you consider the costs of the new hulls it's not even an accounting error for some of the larger resourced departments.

19. Likes Dogwatch, ibenji liked this post
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    The proposed Coastguard won't be doing much in the way of protecting your shores or anyone else's for that matter. The intention is for non external-border states, such as Germany, Sweden etc to ensure that border issues, most notably immigration, remain in the border countries. The sole intention is the preservation of Schengen whether workable or not.
    On another note, maybe a one-for-one replacement of the older NS vessels appears to be a case of jogging on the spot. However, when you consider the significant reductions in force structure that are being imposed on almost every navy and coastguard in Europe, Ireland is actually doing better than most. From a quantitative standpoint, strength remains unchanged. Simultaneously from a qualitative standpoint you are moving forward. I know a fair few navy and coastguard officers in European countries who would give an arm and a leg to be where you are now.
    Also be careful what you wish for. If the principle of violating state sovereignty when 'necessary' becomes accepted, then who is to say where it will end or what will be justified under necessity. In 1982 a bunch of diplomats signed onto UNCLOS after 10 years of hammering out a text that finally established all coastal state rights as we know them today. These principles form the basis of the rule of law at sea and nobody, not even a supranational institution, should be allowed to chip away at them at will.

21. Thanks na grohmití, DeV, pym thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    However, when you consider the significant reductions in force structure that are being imposed on almost every navy and coastguard in Europe, Ireland is actually doing better than most. From a quantitative standpoint, strength remains unchanged
    Very true indeed and it is worth mentioning capability has been hugely increased by being able to replace these vessels.
    Just visiting

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think enda kenny could have said it better. It also gave a ship away and i presume another will follow. When I worked on the Irish steel rehabilitation project we got 200 euro per to ton for scrap metal. Every little helps as they say

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think enda kenny could have said it better. It also gave a ship away and i presume another will follow. When I worked on the Irish steel rehabilitation project we got 200 euro per to ton for scrap metal. Every little helps as they say
    Just to put things into perspective, the ship was transferred at nominal cost. Over half a million euro was subsequently spent by the new owners in the local economy on refits, upgrades and supplies. Scrap values are currently around Euro 30-40 a ton.

25. Thanks sofa thanked for this post
    Likes na grohmití, Shaqra, ias, Flamingo, Galloglass liked this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    2007?
    A lot has changed since, but you are still you.

Any sympathy for Slab?

27. Likes FMolloy, Shaqra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

29. Thanks danno, Sarsfield thanked for this post
    Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like

Coastguards etc

The Commission's advisors and bureaucrats come up bright ideas such as a border guard of 1500 as a rapid response unit. Such a project is light years away, unless somebody forms , houses, transports, and equips such a force and give it a mandate and a command structure. Ships used as a seagoing element of such a force needs to be manned by commissioned officers with crew subject to State Naval/military law. Finally the EU's bright ideas need to be financed and maintained by the Commission.

31. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    The Commission's advisors and bureaucrats come up bright ideas such as a border guard of 1500 as a rapid response unit. Such a project is light years away, unless somebody forms , houses, transports, and equips such a force and give it a mandate and a command structure. Ships used as a seagoing element of such a force needs to be manned by commissioned officers with crew subject to State Naval/military law. Finally the EU's bright ideas need to be financed and maintained by the Commission.
    With you all the way. I have personally asked commission 'whose flag', they say they will find a Member State. Then you point out that it will not be a State vessel and thus not have the powers accorded to such and they respond with a bunch of waffle. This has been going on for some time but advantage was taken of the 2015 migrant crisis to push the idea harder. Money won't be the issue, there is a considerable amount of that swilling around, the problem is that there is no understanding what the full-time ownership and operation of a vessel/aircraft/helicopter actually means.

33. Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like FRONTEX has morphed into an EU Coastguard

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder will they get posted to the (potential) new border between us and our neighbors to the North?

36. Likes EUFighter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only if we join Schengen

Post Thanks / Like
    If the Brexit causes the end to the Common Travel Area with the UK, I'd say there is a good chance that we will

39. Likes EUFighter, DeV liked this post

Thread Information