Army Trainers told to return gifts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army Trainers told to return gifts

Smartphones and shopping vouchers worth €1,500 have been returned to newly graduated soldiers after they were deemed too expensive to be given as gifts to colleagues who trained them.

The DF could do with out this kind of publicity.

No one asked them to buy them, more fool them!!

The CO is right!

Comment

Actually it's only 50 quid a head, I'd say that many of us would contribute that to a colleagues leaving whip round, in this case two trainers, 25 per head and it's not that much, not even bad publicity.

Comment

Originally posted by paul g View Post
        Actually it's only 50 quid a head, I'd say that many of us would contribute that to a colleagues leaving whip round, in this case two trainers, 25 per head and it's not that much, not even bad publicity.
        On a recruits wage??

I wouldn't!!

Of course, they could have got them 2nd hand (unwanted upgrade etc)

Comment

This had to be knocked on the head at Sandhurst too.

Apparently C/Sgt's were being presented with Rolex's and (possibly an urban myth) in one case a Ferrari by overseas students.

Strict no gift policy now.
          'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

God be with the days when we threw a few quid over the bar at the passing out meal and made sure they had a good night.
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Right to nip it in the bud.
              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Great tradition to have and I hope it long continues. Instructors in recruit training sacrifice a lot of their time to ensure the next generation is properly trained. It's a nice way to show respect and gratitude for doing the job by the recruits.

I'm trying to remember what my platoon got our NCO's. Think it was along the lines of a few jerseys, booze etc. Nothing worth 1500 euro though.
                To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

From a private sector perspective, something up to 200 euro would have been appropriate. Anymore and I think it undermines the trainer/trained relationship. It's probably a reflection on our society these days. Gifts for everything are getting more and more elaborate. It's probably all some of the new joiners know.

Comment

In my experience, corporate gifts are collated centrally and raffled off to everyone, with the funds raised going to charity. Gifts in excess of €150 aren't to be accepted. It's all part of the business ethics policy in the company.

Comment

It's not really a corporate gift though. Normally company policy would relate to gifts coming from and going to external parties. I just hope gifts aren't banned and it's ruined for everyone.

Comment

I think its policy that all gifts over a certain limit have to be declared under ethics laws.

Comment

Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
                          It's not really a corporate gift though. Normally company policy would relate to gifts coming from and going to external parties. I just hope gifts aren't banned and it's ruined for everyone.
                          Not entirely true.

Most companies will have a policy the caters for both internal and external gifts. Buying a Manager, Supervisor or C Level with gifts that are not really appropriate may gain some "Give" or create some favouritism. Tins of sweets for the team OK, a gift to your manager who just had a new born also acceptable. Buying your manager a phone because he is a great guy is a No No, anyone with a People Management or Human Resources Course will tell you that.

My own employer strictly forbids gifts in all cases if they are valued at over $50 in local currency anything above this should be OK'd by Ethics and Compliance.
                          Squad look this way, i will give a full and complete demonstration on how to post.
                          Type 1-2-3-4 fact check and POST

Cryos

Comment

Originally posted by Cryos View Post
                            Not entirely true.

Most companies will have a policy the caters for both internal and external gifts. Buying a Manager, Supervisor or C Level with gifts that are not really appropriate may gain some "Give" or create some favouritism. Tins of sweets for the team OK, a gift to your manager who just had a new born also acceptable. Buying your manager a phone because he is a great guy is a No No, anyone with a People Management or Human Resources Course will tell you that.

My own employer strictly forbids gifts in all cases if they are valued at over $50 in local currency anything above this should be OK'd by Ethics and Compliance.
                            $2K gifts is a bit excessive, especially for a recruit platoon. Over 'ere the regulations prohibit receipt of any gift with value over $200, and the regs. have the usual wording about "gifts that reflect negatively on the US DoD etc etc..." Gifts of cash or equivalent (gift cards, gift certificates) are also prohibited.

A parting gift for staff, trainers, commanders, etc. is pretty common here, usually it's an engraved plaque, small unit flag in a frame, small statue of a Soldier, you get the point. Fair play to the CO for making the tough call, he probably wasn't overly popular with the staff who had to hand back the Gucci phones, but he did the right thing.

Most units have a unit fund, you pay in when you join, so in many ways you are paying for your own gift. In my experience we also used the fund for flowers for a death in the family of a unit member, birth of a child, that sort of thing.

Does Irish DoD not have a similar set of ethics guidelines/rules?

A

Comment

Legislation enacted to deal with politicians soaking up "gifts" has been extended to all parts of the state sector. From what we were told anybody over a certain rank/grade or involved with supply/sale contracts has to declare gifts/travel/ pick ups etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X