River class OPVs, NS, RN, etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• River class OPVs, NS, RN, etc

The current "Rivers" will probably come to market in the future....."The three Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPVs) currently under construction will enter service as replacements for three of the four in-service OPVs. As announced in the Strategic Defence and Security Review [Cm9161], two further River Class OPVs will be built, resulting in a more modern and more capable fleet of up to six OPVs in the Royal Navy" ......
    These are relatively new ships and bearing in mind the great value for money that the "Peacocks" have been,all three could possibly be had for a song. Get them as "replacements" for the Peacocks instead of 2 more expensive "like for like" as envisaged.

The rivers are similar in size, age and displacement to Roisin and Niamh and if the 30 year rule was applied, we'd be getting another 15 out of them. Different engine, but with the defence pact with the UK, spare should be easy to come by.

I'm sure there are reasons against this that those more familiar with Naval affairs will point out, but if the price is right, and it's a three for two replacement, it would appear to be a good option.
    What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Galloglass View Post
      The current "Rivers" will probably come to market in the future....."The three Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPVs) currently under construction will enter service as replacements for three of the four in-service OPVs. As announced in the Strategic Defence and Security Review [Cm9161], two further River Class OPVs will be built, resulting in a more modern and more capable fleet of up to six OPVs in the Royal Navy" ......
      These are relatively new ships and bearing in mind the great value for money that the "Peacocks" have been,all three could possibly be had for a song. Get them as "replacements" for the Peacocks instead of 2 more expensive "like for like" as envisaged.
      [ATTACH]8122[/ATTACH]

SDSR 2015 says up to 6 OPVs (there are 3 building and the SDSR says they will build another 2).

But it doesn't matter as WP2015 says they will have "counter-mine and counter-IED capability".
      Last edited by DeV; 10 December 2015, 23:05.

Comment

Ship acquisition

Originally posted by DeV View Post
        SDSR 2015 says up to 6 OPVs (there are 3 building and the SDSR says they will build another 2).

But it doesn't matter as WP2015 says they will have "counter-mine and counter-IED capability".
        The WP is a political document and as such is subject to constraints, advantage, control, delay, and general hostage to fortune. The bottom line is that the Rivers , if on offer, can do most of what CPV's do except the speed. I say get all three with a shed load of spares and equip them with 30mm and FCS, plus a couple of 20mm, 12.5's. Get the RN Dockyard to do a, Good to Go, refit and paint job. It might add a few years of shelf life.

Comment

whats the advantage of the river class over ordering 3 new OPV's of same design as the beckett? is it to do with the timescale and life of the existing - to be replaced - vessels?
          "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
          "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
            whats the advantage of the river class over ordering 3 new OPV's of same design as the beckett? is it to do with the timescale and life of the existing - to be replaced - vessels?
            The advantage would be the cost Morpheus....These ships will be at "fire-sale" prices as the RNs replacement programme is being done for "political" rather than for "military" reasons. The RN only "bought out" their lease in 2012 for £29 millon.
            I would certainly be interested in them and their purchase (2 or 3) would "free-up" cash for our mythical MRV.

The govt. wants "counter-mine and counter-IED capabilities" .....Well thats just dandy. I suppose we could buy a Lynx for the Rivers and go sub-hunting instead.
            Last edited by Galloglass; 11 December 2015, 15:37.

Comment

Originally posted by ODIN View Post
              I thought the replacements were to win the Scottish Referendum and to keep the Scottish ship builders happy.
              True Odin,
              The "purchase of replacements" was a political con.....BAE were to be paid circa £360 million to do exactly nothing (existing contractual obligations) They agreed to "develop" the new "Batch" which cost around £175 million in spurious design improvments (probably the actual cost of the OPVs) and to announce the £360 million as an "investment" in Scotland though little of it actually went there.
              The existing Rivers are absolutely sound and fit for purpose. I'd prefer the P60s.....but three(or 2) Rivers at a knock down price is a no-brainer in my opinion.........Then our MRV would look a real possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by ODIN View Post
                I thought the replacements were to win the Scottish Referendum and to keep the Scottish ship builders happy.
                They are also because the Type 26 project seems stuck off the rails (hence why the order is reduced to 8 with a follow on "cheaper" version to maintain the 13 hulls (how "cheap" BAE can make a project is another question). Under the agreement made when the deals for the Carriers were being made, the UK Govenment agree a demand level that the yards could expect, had the 26 design been ready/within costs then they would have been ordered, however as they still can't get everything within the price range agree the order keeps getting pushed back, but the UK still has to pay BAE, so instead of just giving them the money, they ordered the Batch 2's.

Comment

Let's on forget the real reason the new Rivers are being built, if they weren't the contract had the RN over a barrel in that they would have to pay the yards for not placing orders

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                    yeah, real no brainer, the day of buying RN cast offs should be long gone, we are no longer desperate to get hulls in the water, CPVs were bought in desperation.

NS need to hold out on new builds. no more bargain basement stuff!
                    Well hp there is nothing wrong with a bargain but if you think the CPVs " were bought in desperation" what is the point of newbuild "like for like" replacements? An all OPV fleet seems the preferred choice on the poll above and the Rivers have another 20 years in them. Two P60s would be much better (€150 million) but not compared 3 Rivers at "bargain basement" prices.( say you got the lot for £40 million?)

Comment

Originally posted by Galloglass View Post
                      Well hp there is nothing wrong with a bargain but if you think the CPVs " were bought in desperation" what is the point of newbuild "like for like" replacements? An all OPV fleet seems the preferred choice on the poll above and the Rivers have another 20 years in them. Two P60s would be much better (€150 million) but not compared 3 Rivers at "bargain basement" prices.( say you got the lot for £40 million?)
                      Why do you talk in circles so?
                      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                        Why do you talk in circles so?
                        Seems to be a requirment na grohmiti. Hoping to catch my tail soon. Surprised that there seems little enough interest here in the Rivers but each to his own.

Comment

I think there's a fair chance the Batch 1 RIVER Class will go to Eastern Europe.

They do the job very well but the class has evolved and its time to bring into service more capable platforms.

Re the RN build of Type 26 - they were only ever getting 8 ASW versions - which are much more costly.

That's what they need to deploy a carrier group and protect the Nuclear deterrent.

The other 5 general purpose frigates will be more suited to extended constabulary roles such as the Horn of Africa etc.
                          'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

I saw the River Class HMS Clyde on the BBC programme "An Island Parish" about the Falklands, she was going into Stanley to take part in a service to remember the fallen from the war there, she had a Sea KIng helicopter on the deck, never knew she could carry one that size.
                            Last edited by Brian McGrath; 16 December 2015, 16:11.

Comment

Clyde is the exception. The others don't have that advantage.
                              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Working...
                              X