No announcement yet.

River class OPVs, NS, RN, etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reads like "our" as in being a member of the Royal Navy?

Comment

OUR etc.

Originally posted by DeV View Post
      Reads like "our" as in being a member of the Royal Navy?
      It meant to be an inclusive "our". I'm very much a member of the INS through the passage of all it's surface ships from steam to diesel and at least 5 FOCNS . I followed 2 ships from paper, to assembly, to sailing order. The RN upset on OUR acquisition of the Peacocks was they had already chosen them for training purposes but their PM overruled and transferred them to INS at a beneficial cost to our exchequer.

Comment

Regarding UK policy re shipyards, keeping a given industry subsidised is nothing new, in this instance the reason given is national security, not so long back unprofitable coalmines were kept going on the basis of energy security. Unprofitable enterprises have been kept going here for yonks. However the cost of the subsidy is depleting the RN of crews. If the choice were mine I would spend the money on L S and A B's sooner than spot welders.

Comment

Comment

Exemptions EU Directives

Article 346 TFEU allows for exemptions to directives, in the matter of Defence contracts to safeguard a country's security. In general all sensitive builds and research with downstream activities to maintain skills would seem to be covered.

Comment

RIVERS TODAY.
              A WARSHIP from Portsmouth has been named the most effective ship in the Fishery Protection Squadron.

River-class patrol ship HMS Severn clinched the accolade in recognition of the drive, enthusiasm, success and efficiency of her ship’s company. Lieutenant Commander James Reynolds, who recently took over as commanding officer, added: ‘Being awarded the Fishery Protection Squadron Effectiveness Pennant is a great honour for the ship as it recognises the highest level of operational capability within the Squadron.

The past year saw Severn fulfilling not only her marine enforcement operations but also deploy on a seven and a half month patrol of the North Atlantic and Caribbean – a role normally reserved for a ship twice her size.By the end of her Caribbean deployment Severn had visited 29 ports in 20 countries and delivered high profile wider regional engagement through receptions and capability demonstrations, as well as 69 ships tours.

On her return to the UK in July, Severn quickly resumed her marine enforcement work, contributing to the monitoring and enforcement of both national and European Union fisheries legislation. More recently Severn has been involved in a cross government trial with embarked Border Force officers to conduct joint boardings.

Engineering Technician (CIS) Lee Lovick, one of Severn’s boarding team, said: ‘Being awarded the Effectiveness Pennant recognises all the hard work we have done over the last year; and while we don’t do the work just to get the Jersey Cup, it’s nice to be recognised as the best.’

Severn will be present at the Jersey Boat Show in May this year where she will formally accept the Jersey Cup as recognition of another year leading the way in marine enforcement operations.

Fancy doing that in a CPV anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post
                However the cost of the subsidy is depleting the RN of crews. If the choice were mine I would spend the money on L S and A B's sooner than spot welders.
                Can you back that up with any evidence Danno?

That the cost of the TOBA is the cause of the Royal Navy's manpower problems?

I'd argue that a large part of the problem is that in the scathing cuts of 2010 they had to let go many of their skilled engineers.

Embarrassingly they're now having to try to entice them back...along with ex-Army and RAF engineers.

In any case the Royal Navy has just been given permission to expand its establishment by 400 pax.

And labelling skilled shipyard workers as 'spot welders' is a little silly.
                'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Looks like some Rivers are coming on the market...https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/hms-clyde-replaced

Comment

Originally posted by Galloglass View Post
                    Looks like some Rivers are coming on the market...https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/hms-clyde-replaced
                    we could buy two and include and half life refit in the deal and include the 30mm armament and FCS, also include the two miniguns plus our own pair of 20mm. The flight decks would add to logistic flexibility.

Comment

I wonder how operating in the South Atlantic has treated them?
                      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                        I wonder how operating in the South Atlantic has treated them?
                        Surprisingly well apparently - I doubt you'd fancy spending winter in the southern ocean in them (or anything smaller than, say, Australia..), but they've proved they can do a job of work in the far Atlantic and not have to run for port every time the wind got a bit frisky.

Comment

Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                          we could buy two and include and half life refit in the deal and include the 30mm armament and FCS, also include the two miniguns plus our own pair of 20mm. The flight decks would add to logistic flexibility.
                          Only 1 of the current River Class has a flight deck (HMS Clyde)

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                            Only 1 of the current River Class has a flight deck (HMS Clyde)
                            I would still be interested in the vessel, post a refit, and update where necessary. the flight deck is a bonus, also ability to RAS etc

Comment

There are costs and benefits to any decision regarding purchasing and production. In keeping a warship-building industry the UK is proving to have a long-term view that is obscured by short-term drawbacks. The long-term view is that not having a domestic defence industry puts you at a disadvantage right when it hurts the most and that expensive mistakes form part of a learning curve. You may save money and even gain capacity by buying abroad, but in times of international crisis, that option disappears.
                              Obvious example: in 1939 Ireland suddenly realised it needed to arm itself. Money was found.
                              However, by 1939, all European defence production was required by the home nations of the industries involved and nobody would sell us anything.
                              If we couldn't build it, we couldn't get it. We couldn't manage anything more than scratch armoured cars and the assembly of hand grenades IIRC.
                              To this day everything from the weapons used to the bullets they fire has to be imported to Ireland. That's short-sighted.

Comment

I could never understand the govts. antipathy to allowing construction of Timoney designs in Ireland....It had absolutely no relevance to Neutrality.

The DF had actually predicted a European war breaking out in 38/39 and recommended the it should rearm....A mission to the US in 1940 secured 30,000 Springfield rifles and ammo but an offer of "any amount" of up to date US aircraft with immediate delivery was rejected by the Army which expressed a preference for British aircraft. While the British War Office would have been willing to supply much more military equipment to Ireland during the early years of the war....any such sales were vetoed personally by Churchill.....whose attitude to Ireland was "at war but skulking"
                                Ironically when the German govt offered Ireland whatever it wanted of the BEF discarded equipment post Dunkirk, De Velara politely declined saying that he was confident that should it be required "German ingenuity" would find a way to deliver it.

We did what we could from our own resources....manufacturing sea and land mines amongst other things....some of the more interesting "innovations" were in the LDF which had a company (Meath I think) armed with muzzle loading muskets obtained from a local "Big House" formerly the property of some Yeoman Militia and a unit in Dublin made up of Irish Jews who (reputedly) adorned their uniform with the Star of David.....of course we also had the Swastika laundry....(smiley)

Comment

Working...
                                X