2016 Commemorative Medal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    Not overly gone on the whole 1916 thing myself. Based on my late Grandfather's opinion (old IRA), who thought it was reckless to the point of insanity, alienating to Protestants, threatened the incomes of thousands of poor people who were utterly dependent on British Army wages and pensions and caused a great deal of damage to Dublin to no obvious end. He also regarded it as militarily amateurish to a very high degree and was scathing of the leadership "middle-class people with no military service, telling poor boys to die for Ireland"...in the same breath, he went into the IRA and fought in the War of Independence not that long after and joined the National Army in 1922. He thought it was all a waste, the various wars and risings, of life and damage to property, especially the destruction of the rail network and the bridges in the Civil War.....he respected his foes in the Anti-Treaty side (he knew a great many of them and shot a few, too and deeply regretted that to his last days) but thought that they were deluded and he hated the Provos with a passion because of their indiscriminate killing and inherent bigotry and their claim to the flag......personally, I think I'll wait til 2022 for the real celebration of the founding of the DF.
    I share similar sentiments, however like it or not, this is what we are as an organisation descended from. To rob an idea from Michael Laffan, maybe we should strike a medal with Edward Carson on it - after all it was unionisms armed rejection of the democratic decision of a british parliament that lead to the rebirth of militant nationalism.

Comment

I share similar sentiments, however like it or not, this is what we are as an organisation descended from. To rob an idea from Michael Laffan, maybe we should strike a medal with Edward Carson on it - after all it was unionisms armed rejection of the democratic decision of a british parliament that lead to the rebirth of militant nationalism.
      Excellent post; letter writer in the Irish Times today shares the sentiment.
      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

There was a threat of armed rejection then much like Paisley of late. Bluff never called until fairly recently over the marching disputes.

Comment

I was chatting to the mother there today and she was saying that people were full of praise for the df in the wake of the Easter stuff and I thought to myself "aye until they're public enemy number one again"

We just don't think that way SaS, sadly.
          I knew a simple soldier boy.....
          Who grinned at life in empty joy,
          Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
          And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
          With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
          He put a bullet through his brain.
          And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
          Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
          Sneak home and pray you'll never know
          The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

Members of the Defence Forces who serve this year are to be awarded a 1916 medal which had previously only been presented to people who participated in the Rising.

Assuming the Indo is correct, it looks like there is one on the way

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
              http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-34700286.html

Assuming the Indo is correct, it looks like there is one on the way

Now, if I can get my seven year issued, my 12 year ribbon and bar too, I'll be doing well!!!
              What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

I really really hope it's wrong !!!

An Bonn 1916 was only ever awarded to people who participated in the Rising (or posthumously to their families).

To award it to people who happened to be members of the DF in 2016 belittles their actions

Comment

Personally, I have no issue with a commemorative medal to mark the occasion of 1916, but a duplication of the actual medal and ribbon is not really on.

Comment

Having said, on thinking about it, it would be a good way of members feeling more of direct affinity to 1916...... If it is to be issued I say with a "2016" clasp

Comment

• I wonder did they find a batch of unissued medals somewhere

Comment

• The original mold probably still exists. Bronze is cheap. Queue a load of RDF hangers on coming out of the closet to get effective to get the medal...

Comment

• Programme for Government is not yet issued AFAIK ?
                          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• The issue of a medal is included in the draft PFG that has been circulating for the past few days. Will it make it into the final version?

In my opinion the indo journalist has added 2+2 and got 22 instead of 4. I doubt he was told by anyone in the DoD/DF it would be a replica. I would be gobsmacked if the commemorative medal looked anything like the original service medal.

The press office need to stamp this one out before it goes much further and becomes an indestructible urban myth.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sluggie View Post
                              The press office need to stamp this one out before it goes much further and becomes an indestructible urban myth.
                              Aren't urban myths what fuels the Defence Forces

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                                I really really hope it's wrong !!!

An Bonn 1916 was only ever awarded to people who participated in the Rising (or posthumously to their families).

To award it to people who happened to be members of the DF in 2016 belittles their actions
                                Could be the Independent jumping to conclusions and assuming that the centenary commemorative medal is automatically the same thing as the '1916 medal'. It will be interesting to see the design and the specific award criteria. The UK awarded a medal to mark the Queen's Diamond Jubilee in 2012, "450,000 medals were awarded only to members of HM Armed Forces (regular and reserves) who had served longer than five years, operational members of HM Prison Service, and emergency services personnel (including Police Community Support Officers) who have been in paid service, retained or in a voluntary capacity, and who had completed five full calendar years of service on 6 February 2012" (Per Wikipedia). The bar was set fairly high in terms of the service requirement at 5 years. Incidentally, it's not that unusual to award medals like this to mark special occasions. The RIC and DMP awarded medals to mark royal visits to Ireland in 1900, 1903 and 1911, by contrast, we could hardly be said to be immodest for awarding a medal to mark the centenary of giving HM the boot a mere five years after King Edward's visit in 1911.

Comment

Working...
                                X