No announcement yet.

Skynet - All things Drone / UAS / UAV related

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Patriot missile - usually priced at about $3m (£2.5m) - was used to shoot down a small quadcopter drone, according to a US general.
    The strike was made by a US ally, Gen David Perkins told a military symposium.
    "That quadcopter that cost 200 bucks from Amazon.com did not stand a chance against a Patriot," he said.
    A US general says an American ally shot down a small quadcopter drone with a Patriot missile.

When all you've got is a hammer, every problem...

Comment

US coast guard plans "small" sized uav competition

Comment

Looks like the US army is looking at more cost-effective ways of downing drones than using a Patriot on each

'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
        'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
        Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
        He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
        http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

A-techSYN
          ? @Atechsyn_Live
          Feb 20

A-techSYN Takes OFF
          European UAV Demo Flight,The CGT-45 27th February 2018,14:00pm
          “We invite you to witness an important moment which will become a milestone in the UAV History of Ireland”
          Periscope Live: https://lnkd.in/gcWQxpd

Comment

Best of luck to them today

love how the examiner stuck a stock photo of an armed MQ9 Reaper up for this story about a new irish drone being tested and then listed shannon as becoming a new drone centre! Lefty f**ks

A Shannon-based company that designs large unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) wants to establish Co Clare as a European test centre for its drones.

Shannon set to be leading drone centre

Shannon set to be leading drone centre

Monday, February 26, 2018 - 06:30 AM
            By Pat Flynn

A Shannon-based company that designs large unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) wants to establish Co Clare as a European test centre for its drones.

A-techSYN unmanned aerial systems (UAS) launched its UAV business in the Shannon Free Zone near Shannon Airport in 2017. The company forms part of the Shannon Avionics Cluster.

Tomorrow in Clare, the company will launch what’s believed to be the largest drone ever flown in Ireland at a planned demonstration. A-techSYN has also applied to the Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) for the test site to be designated as a Temporary Restricted Area (TRA) for the duration of the demonstration flight.

The event will be held at Spanish Point Flying Club and a number of potential customers have been invited to witness what the company has described as an “important moment which will become a milestone in the UAV History of Ireland.”

A-techSYN will demonstrate its CGT45 SLT, one of the first UAV’s to use electric engines for take-off and landing and a combustion engine during fixed wing flight. This will be the first demonstration flight in Europe for the CGT45-SLT.

A company spokesman confirmed: “We are planning to setup Clare/Spanish Point as one of the UAV and Drone Test Centres in Europe. The UAS business is a most promising sector with job opportunities for people not just with higher degree of education but also for high school graduates.”
            “Since a picture says more than 1000 words - and video consists of 25 pictures per second - we are planning a demonstration flight in Spanish Point Co Clare. I believe this is going to be one of the first UAS flights of this size in Ireland. We are inviting universities and potential important customers from across Europe who we met during our promotion activities,” the company added.

The CGT45 SLT comprises a complete system with ground control software, hardware, tracking antenna and even a flight simulator that can be used to train new operators easily and safely.

Tomorrow’s demonstration will consist of a vertical take-off, loiter, waypoint navigation and vertical landing mission.
            CGT45-SLT in action:

interesting drone

Our Orbiter UAV has endurance of 1.5hrs and a 15km range

The CGT45-SLT UAV has 6 hrs endurance
            a 4kg payload,
            VTOL electric and horizontal flight using a 70hp petrol engine and
            50/120 km range
            50Kg max takeoff weight
            autonomous flight
            important though, its currently is NOT military standard

watch this space
            Last edited by morpheus; 27 February 2018, 10:30.
            "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
            "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

VTOL, UAV, GCS, DRONE, FIXED WING, Unmanned Aerial Systems

Comment

An emphatic "NO" beside MIL STD.

Comment

Originally posted by pym View Post
                  An emphatic "NO" beside MIL STD.
                  Possibly looking to get a toe in the market first

It’s beside all of their models

Comment

Im sure that a DJI phantom isnt MIL STD - doesnt stop them being used though :D
                    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Seems like a Drone is supporting the Gardaí:

Comment

Just back from Iceland - a week away - every tourist spot i saw, there were drones floating around - also at 3am in the city i passed 2 drones flying above the streets, privately owned as far as i could tell. was a bit weird. Arent the USA moving back to KEF soon?

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                          Arent the USA moving back to KEF soon?
                          The DoD FY18 funding has come through to build new hangers at KEF for the P-8A's they plan to forward deploy there. It would not surprise me that since P-8A's will operate out of there that USN EA-18G's will become frequent visitors to KEF in the future just to keep them company.

Comment

I seem to remember a squadron of F15 there back in the day, Black Knights I think.
                            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

on a more useful level, a neighbour was up in Kilbride digging roads out last week to get to his mother in law's place. Several people who needed medical assistance in the area were trapped by 8 foot deep snow drifts so a drone was used to fly in medicines.

Comment

Originally posted by pym View Post
                                And jammers won't stop UAV'S following a Pre programmed path using a basic accelerometer and no GPS.

I suspect soft kill defence systems will be a huge growth area - you can't safely pump tons of lead into the air to defend a location in a heavily populated area against a piece of plastic - armed or not.

I can see very small missiles being developed or even suicide drones packed with nets. Otherwise loaded with pellets that will fly next to "bogey" UAV and detonate. The pellets would be harmless when they fall back to earth, versus say a 20mm round.

I missed my calling in life.

Comment

Working...
                                X