No announcement yet.

Pilatus PC-9M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everyone else somehow manages to get through this minefield - turn up to a UK, or any other airshow and half the static display will be bombed up with something.

It still doesn't explain why only one PC-9 had the tanks and one didn't - and no, I don't believe that anyone walking past them went 'wow, external fuel tanks!'....

Comment

• Originally posted by ropebag View Post
      Everyone else somehow manages to get through this minefield - turn up to a UK, or any other airshow and half the static display will be bombed up with something.

It still doesn't explain why only one PC-9 had the tanks and one didn't - and no, I don't believe that anyone walking past them went 'wow, external fuel tanks!'....
      This is the kind of ignorance of aerosexuality that I thought society had left behind.

But to be serious, I would imagine there were people interested. Some will go for the flashy F-35 display, others, the real connoisseurs, will admire a set of dayglow tanks on static display....

Comment

• Maybe they were not required and it was simply for training?
        Distance from Baldonnel to Fairford - 363km as the crow flies
        Max range of a PC9 over 1500km
        "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
        "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• There is a video on YouTube of aircraft arriving at RIAT 2018 and both appear to have arrived together.

Comment

• Originally posted by morpheus View Post
            Maybe they were not required and it was simply for training?
            Distance from Baldonnel to Fairford - 363km as the crow flies
            Max range of a PC9 over 1500km
            I rather doubt they were actually required - as you say, Fairford and 2 dozen divert airfields are easily within range of a cleen PC-9 - but I'm struggling to imagine why you might want to familiarise only one crew out of a pair on flying with them, particularly given that if one aircraft has them and the other doesn't they will have different fuel burn rates, different most efficient speeds and altitudes, different turn and climb rates - perhaps the most likely answer is that some halfwit said 'you can only take one set, we've got to make them last 100 years!'....

Comment

• Maybe they have a really strict Q who will only sign out one set of tanks from the stores.

Comment

• Maybe one lad ...er ....dropped his...........?

Comment

• There was no tech to remove them, the Q wouldn’t issue the key to remove them....

Comment

• They're actually secret intelligence gathering pods.

The Don is working for Don.

Trump that is.

Perfect cover story.

You heard it here first.

Next stop a Russian air show
                    'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

• Departure after "Operation melt IMO with drop tank conspiracy theories"

Comment

• Maybe one guy is heavier on the throttle?
                        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• The gun pods cannot be flown without the gun being fitted. It's just the way it's designed.

Comment

• Are they fuel tanks or Suitcases.?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pegasus View Post
                              Maybe they have a really strict Q who will only sign out one set of tanks from the stores.
                              Maybe he said “ye’s can have one each, ye’s don’t need two”...
                              'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                              'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                              Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                              He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                              http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• My son was at RIAT,

He spoke to the pilots, the PC9M's came with one set of drop tanks on one & one with no drop tanks as that's just the way the aircraft happened to be configured before they left Bal.
                                Last edited by Brian McGrath; 18 July 2018, 23:19.

Comment

Working...
                                X