No announcement yet.

Pilatus PC-9M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was wondering if anyone could answer about how the 4 sets of drop tanks that were acquired with PC9 269 are planned to be used? That is, how have things changed that drop tanks are now required, when they weren't in the past? Extended training sessions, increased range for overseas trips (exchange or maybe exercises in future), greater endurance for air policing duties.

Not wanting to invade OPSEC at all, but just interested why they were acquired now & what for. Also, do the original aircraft have to be modified in order to use the tanks? Weren't the hardpoints for the tanks on those aircraft originally blocked from hooking up tanks?

Comment

• Originally posted by meridian View Post
      I was wondering if anyone could answer about how the 4 sets of drop tanks that were acquired with PC9 269 are planned to be used? That is, how have things changed that drop tanks are now required, when they weren't in the past? Extended training sessions, increased range for overseas trips (exchange or maybe exercises in future), greater endurance for air policing duties.

Not wanting to invade OPSEC at all, but just interested why they were acquired now & what for. Also, do the original aircraft have to be modified in order to use the tanks? Weren't the hardpoints for the tanks on those aircraft originally blocked from hooking up tanks?
      If you don't want to invade OPSEC then why ask the question.

Who cares why they were acquired. At the most basic level, they increase endurance so significantly increase loiter time. What more do you want to know?

I suspect "the donner" will be along shortly to enlighten us all.
      MOD: I have approved your last 2 posts. You are new to this site so just a warning, you need to improve the tone of your posts and be a bit more constructive in your comments or you might find your time on this site short lived.
      Last edited by Bravo20; 27 December 2017, 01:28.

Comment

• the tanks could be used to ferry the aircraft for deep overhaul at Pilatus. The Fougas had a set of oversize tanks for ferrying and they were used.

Comment

• The PC7 MkII and PC9's are all fitted out with the necessary plumbing and wiring as standard to be able to carry external fuel tanks. They are not "drop tanks" as you'd see in the war movies and documentaries, they aren't designed for that mission or "attack", however they are jettisonable by the pilots in the event of an emergency. There is enough fuel carried to give approx 2 extra hours flying time depending on how the A/C is set up and prevailing winds etc etc.

Comment

• In this day and age, dropping of external tanks is rarely done unless absolutely necessary, to the point where it affects the conduct of missions. In the Falklands war, the Mirage IIIs had a very limited supply of supersonic tanks and were very restricted in their operations as a result and were later confined to defending Buenos Aires. The Daggers conducted low level bombing raids and were utterly dependent on AtA refuelling despite having subsonic tanks as standard....even in current wars, you drop a tank and you'll spend a great deal of time explaining your decision.

Comment

• During the 70s while the RAF F4s carried 'drop tanks' it was a career killer to ever drop them.... or you had better have a fantastic reason to do so.
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Nice pic.

Can't say I can recall another picture of a mixed IAC/RAF formation... although I've heard a few tales.

Comment

• Air Corps Alouettes and RAF Westland Whirlwind

Comment

• AC AW139s were doing fire fighting in NI today

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                      AC AW139s were doing fire fighting in NI today
                      And if they did it tonight at midnight over certain areas it would be an absolute hoot.
                      Could you imagine it?

Billy starts the fire after spending weeks building it and guarding it and going to all the trouble of climbing to the top of it to place a tricolour at the top. Two seconds later the AC swoop in and waterbomb the pyre with a Bambi bucket. Could you picture the look on his face???

(PS: No probs with our neighbours building bonfires.I DO have a problem with ANY nations flag being burned.Especially mine.)
                      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                        And if they did it tonight at midnight over certain areas it would be an absolute hoot.
                        Could you imagine it?

Billy starts the fire after spending weeks building it and guarding it and going to all the trouble of climbing to the top of it to place a tricolour at the top. Two seconds later the AC swoop in and waterbomb the pyre with a Bambi bucket. Could you picture the look on his face???

(PS: No probs with our neighbours building bonfires.I DO have a problem with ANY nations flag being burned.Especially mine.)
                        Given the strain the NI Fire Brigade have been under and the dry conditions I hope those bonfires don't have any extra fires tonight, also lets be honest where they build some of them is simply nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                          Could you imagine it?

What's the difference between a poor Unionist and a rich Unionist?

A poor Unionist burns pallets, a rich Unionist burns pellets
                          'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                          'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                          Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                          He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                          http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                            "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Right add bomfires to the list of things not to order from East Belfast.

Comment

• I see the Air Corps have 2 over in the UK for RIAT, the photo shows 1 with the fuel tanks, do we still only have 1 set or have we bought the ones for the whole fleet?
                                Irish Air Corps, Dublin, Ireland. 50,177 likes · 78 talking about this · 1,247 were here. This is the Official Irish Air Corps Facebook page, if you like it share it with your friends.

Comment

Working...
                                X