No announcement yet.

Pilatus PC-9M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where there is a will there is a way..........

http://http://motherboard.vice.com/read/low-and-slow#

Comment

• Originally posted by pym View Post
      Given that their only sensors are the Mk. 1 eyeball and GPS... limited.

The inner hardpoints are rated up to 550lb - so weight wise at least, it could carry everything from Mk. 82 JDAM's to Litening pods. The airframe probably has the space for the necessary datalink stuff.

It wouldn't turn them into Rafales or F-15's, but it would be like going from a boys anti-tank rifle to the Javelin missile.

God knows what the integration costs would be though.

Alternatively, there's the SCAR: http://www.airbornetechnologies.at/a...ns/s-c-a-r-pod
      The Tucano can accommodate EGIR, HUD, FLIR, AAM, Orbisat radar, 20mm gun pod, 750lb guided bombs etc. Nobody using them feels embarrassed.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
        The Tucano can accommodate EGIR, HUD, FLIR, AAM, Orbisat radar, 20mm gun pod, 750lb guided bombs etc. Nobody using them feels embarrassed.
        Ya? , I'd say they would be embarassed if they were your one and only type of interceptor, air superiority, ground attack etc

Comment

• As things stand ,in AC hands, it is well able to shred stationary passive targets in benign conditions.

Comment

• The US/Afgani AF are keen to use them in Afganistan because of their endurance and CLOSE (100m) support. They have 24 Super Tucanos described as excellent, able to go on standby rather than shoot and scoot. They also have an in-coming missile warning system.
            Last edited by ancientmariner; 25 November 2016, 13:10.

Comment

• Originally posted by danno View Post
              As things stand ,in AC hands, it is well able to shred stationary passive targets in benign conditions.
              They are just another example of tokenism in the DF. Just like never deployed obsolete light tanks and current NS weapons fit out. You better not be engaging anything that can shoot back.

Comment

• Was having a look on the Web, but couldn't find any updates on the build state or delivery schedule of the new PC-9. Any takers? Thanks for the update.

P.S. I asked this question ages ago, but when the PC-9 was introduced, there was mention in an An Cosantoir of hiring a target towing Learjet for air to air practice. I'm aware it's a PC-9, together with it's limitations, but did this ever get any further? Or might it go further in future?

Comment

• Originally posted by meridian View Post
                  I asked this question ages ago, but when the PC-9 was introduced, there was mention in an An Cosantoir of hiring a target towing Learjet for air to air practice. I'm aware it's a PC-9, together with it's limitations, but did this ever get any further? Or might it go further in future?
                  With 1ADR no longer using the Bofors, is there any need for a target-towing capability for ground-to-air practice? For air-to-air, the purchase of a target-towing pod slung on a PC9 would seem to be the more realistic and cheaper alternative? But the Donners clearly prefer to do the bare minimum with an airframe for it's life in service and not give any worthwhile time to it's military potential. If they even had a scintilla of credibility they'd have floated the idea of a mid-life upgrade to add an air-to-air missile capability. Give these people Grippens and they'd be using them for top cover for SAR

Comment

Was having a look on the Web, but couldn't find any updates on the build state or delivery schedule of the new PC-9. Any takers? Thanks for the update.

P.S. I asked this question ages ago, but when the PC-9 was introduced, there was mention in an An Cosantoir of hiring a target towing Learjet for air to air practice. I'm aware it's a PC-9, together with it's limitations, but did this ever get any further? Or might it go further in future?
                    As reported exclusively here  by Flying in Ireland, the Air Corps is to receive an attrition replacement for Pilatus PC-9M, ‘265’, which was written off, following a fatal crash at Crumlin East, Cornamona, Connemara, Co. Galway, just over seven years ago, on 12th October 2009. In written reply to D

This year

Comment

• Thanks for linking to that article DeV, I'd seen it before. However, I was wondering if month had been set for it to arrive in country or what it's current production state is?

Comment

Thanks for linking to that article DeV, I'd seen it before. However, I was wondering if month had been set for it to arrive in country or what it's current production state is?
                        An article from last November. The author who has sadly since passed away, did say previously that the new aircraft would be an ex Mexican AF aircraft which was subsequently confirmed not to be the case. The only reliable source for your answer is the Dept but it is not unreasonable to expect delivery some time this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jetjock View Post
                          An article from last November. The author who has sadly since passed away, did say previously that the new aircraft would be an ex Mexican AF aircraft which was subsequently confirmed not to be the case. The only reliable source for your answer is the Dept but it is not unreasonable to expect delivery some time this year.
                          My understanding is
                          The Swiss embargoed Aircraft being build for Mexico at there factory, because Mexico used Swiss supplied aircraft in a attack on someone.
                          We are getting a aircraft off the assemble line.??

Comment

• From a short video of the fuselage getting rolled out in Switzerland taken from boards.ie

Video on instagram https://instagram.com/p/BR3sjI5FEhq/ of the new frame being moved outside the factory

Thanks to GVHOT on boards.ie. So it's a new airframe off the assembly line then, nice new car smell lol. Safe flying when she gets into the air.

Comment

• and will be used in EVERY dail question time, as a "F*** OFF", answer , showing the governments "committment" (". to the AC and the DF from now until kingdom come.... instead of it being seen as a much delayed attrition replacement following the loss of 265 :(
                              "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                              "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Moneyball for COIN combat air support

As Major League Baseball begins another season, I am once again reminded that the Air Force could learn a lot from the $36 billion industry that is

Comment

Working...
                                X