No announcement yet.

Royal Navy Type 31

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well given the 23's are already beyond their design lifespan already, I don't particularly see why other than the blackhole and manpower issues as to why the 23's would have to go before their replacements are even designed let alone first steel.
    Answered your own question in two....money and people.......the 2/3rds that make up navies. No point in having ships if you can't run them or an them!

If your navy is losing high end people day after day you have to plan around it, you have to consolidate and prioritize.People often fail to realize how ships run, its not about putting ,say,50 random people into a hull and tell them to go and sail...

Of that 50 ,40 will need high end skills to make the thing work.

Now as a navy over all if you are losing 10 people per week, you are on the back foot by half way through the week and now bear in mind you are already 5 years behind the curve.

So in order to keep the gears grinding you keep the most reliable and effective ships at sea, scale down where you can and reduce costs.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• According to sifted data, the Type 23's, in the order built, are due for replacement over a 12 year span starting with Argyle in 2023 and ending with St. Albans in 2035. It seems at least half this fleet are frontline capable for the next decade at least.Training envelopes to AB is about 2 years, focus on trained manpower output, and recruit accordingly. Recruit Techs from 3rd level institutions and Universities and commission as many young Tech NCO's as possible with as few promotional ceilings as possible to create career incentives. Lastly manpower restrictions for cost saving has the same effect as China's one Child policy--you run out of people.

Comment

• Some more on the Appledore proposal for the 31:
        UK defense contractor Babcock will be leading a team of industry partners in a bid for the Royal Navy’s new £1.25 billion Type 31e general purpose light frigate program, the company announced on Monday. According to the announcement, Babcock and Thales have joined forces with BMT, Harland & Wolff and Ferguson Marine to form ‘Team […]

Hope if H&W gets work they don't have a repeat of the Fort Victoria bombing.

Comment

• According to the financial times it's a done deal for Babcock

Comment

• Originally posted by paul g View Post
            According to the financial times it's a done deal for Babcock
            Good to see naval shipbuilding going ahead under any circumstances. H&W , now owned by the OLSEN GROUP, doesn't yet identify where the ships will be put together. The agencies mentioned will obviously be teamed at required levels to produce a final ship. It would be nice if it could be done in Belfast and nicer if they could build for us.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
              Good to see naval shipbuilding going ahead under any circumstances. H&W , now owned by the OLSEN GROUP, doesn't yet identify where the ships will be put together. The agencies mentioned will obviously be teamed at required levels to produce a final ship. It would be nice if it could be done in Belfast and nicer if they could build for us.
              At best I'd say H&W would be doing blocks with final assembly still in Scotland (due to the issue with the cuts of the 26 and politics).

Comment

• Ain't over till the fat lady sings
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                  I'm presuming that FT got the wrong number for how many ships Babcock are building for us, or has someone missed another P60 being ordered?

Comment

Paywall for me there. What do they say?
                    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                      Sometimes if you put the link into Google you can get around the Paywall.

Basically it's just a comment on the Minister's visit to Appledore, the holding off of the review, a summing up on the plan proposed for module build, the concerns some have made in terms of the cost and capability trade off, and that Appledore is building our ships (apparently 5, guess they got that one wrong)

Comment

• Well they have built 5 ships for us so far. Currently building the 6th. Just they started building them in 1999....
                        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                          It snot saying anything about our ships, just that the deal on the Type 31s is far from done and that Babcock are part of a consortium bid.

Not sure how I got access to it, I certainly don't pay for the Financial times!

Comment

It snot saying anything about our ships, just that the deal on the Type 31s is far from done and that Babcock are part of a consortium bid.

Not sure how I got access to it, I certainly don't pay for the Financial times!
                            As I said, if you go in through search engines you can get into the story (not certain how that works tbh).

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                              As I said, if you go in through search engines you can get into the story (not certain how that works tbh).
                              just type in "babcock type 31" and the ft should be the third one down

Comment

• So Babcock have released their proposal for the 31 the Arrowhead 140, based off the Danish Iver Huitfeldt hullform:

Comment

Working...
                                X