Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spider View Post
    So you're not irlsgt Dev.

Well you must have some sort of wierdo parallel though thing going on with that guy because he posts the same stuff you do on here.
    I admit we seem to have similar trains of taught on this issue. Doesn't mean it's wrong.

Anyway...there is no 'time share' with the French.
    A new programme of defence co-operation between the UK and France has been announced by British Prime Minister David Cameron and French President Nicolas Sarkozy today, Tuesday 2 November 2010.

From what I gather the intent was that the UK would have access to the French carrier (probably until the UK's carrier capability is ready)

The Royal Navy are building and commissioning two aircraft carriers one of which will be available for F35 operations at any given time.

I've already done to death with you on other threads...several times...why the UK has a national shipbuilding policy.

Yet you keep returning to the same points...again...and again...and again.
    we'll agree to differ

If my efforts to explain things to you aren't to your satisfaction write to this bloke and ask him to explain his Departments policies;

Rt Hon Michael Fallon MP, Whitehall, Westminster, London.

Let us know how you get on.

Again...the previous 1SL...Admiral Sir George Zambellas...not sure of his address but try Facebook.

If hes on there you can ask him why it is you have to constantly fret about UK shipbuilding policies and T45 and QE class in particular.

Let us know how you get on.
    it isn't my money, country or life they are risking

BAE are guaranteeing jobs for anyone involved in any of their projects...wow...where did you get that from exactly?
    Maybe your energies would be better suited to challenging the policies of the Irish Government in relation to defence?

After all you are an Irish tax payer...an Irish voter...an Irish Citizen.
    Where did I say that Ireland is an example of how to do it?

For example, APC numbers. We didn't buy enough initially to equip an Inf Bn, I think we are down around 2 Coys now.

How many P31's were the Irish Navy meant to get?

They ended up with one...did that make LE Eithne any less capable a platform?
    depends on if the issues associated with it were cause by it.

T23 was derided as a mickey mouse Frigate when they were being brought into service...they've now evolved into what they are.

I'm quite confident that T45 will get there too.
    if the vessel isn't delivering the intended capability there is something wrong - that could be well intended in fairness (eg delivering on time, in budget etc.

Re the P8...what were the other options out there for the RAF? Because Nimrod was a dead duck...great systems but the aircraft was never going to fly safely.
    +1

Comment

So you're not irlsgt Dev.

Well you must have some sort of wierdo parallel though thing going on with that guy because he posts the same stuff you do on here.
      In fairness, while irlsgt and Dev may share views, there is a distinct difference in writing style. I'd not take them for the same person.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
        I admit we seem to have similar trains of taught on this issue. Doesn't mean it's wrong.

[

if the vessel isn't delivering the intended capability there is something wrong - that could be well intended in fairness (eg delivering on time, in budget etc.

+1

Shipbuilding, particularly for Navies, has the added hazard of attracting capricious criticism, when things go in an unplanned direction. Warship Design is largely National but is subject to the bright ideas of whizz kids who occasionally miss collateral consequences of system input failures.
        The T45's had a huge Fleet Defence burden placed on them, with advanced AIR DEFENCE capabilities , against multi attacking targets in upper hundreds. The T45 is dependent on an innovative propulsion/power system which must deliver otherwise all other features fail. The problems seem to center around undelivered power levels and variables such as SEA Water Temperature and it's effects on power train cooling.
        I'm presuming that HT cooling system is a FW system ,and the LT cooling is also fresh water for lube oils, and this in turn is cooled by Sea Water system. The problem is common to all ships that travel inter climate where sea water can rise close to 30deg C.
        I remember slight problems with P31 off Bermuda until we adjusted it with reduced power demand. The T45 problems will be solved, at cost, however building specifications on power and propulsion need to be tighter especially for all seas and climates operations.
        It always brings me back to the fact that all ships accepted into state service must be classified as Good To Go, therefore during the guarantee period the ship should be tried out on an oceanic proving trip.

Comment

Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
          Shipbuilding, particularly for Navies, has the added hazard of attracting capricious criticism, when things go in an unplanned direction. Warship Design is largely National but is subject to the bright ideas of whizz kids who occasionally miss collateral consequences of system input failures.
          The T45's had a huge Fleet Defence burden placed on them, with advanced AIR DEFENCE capabilities , against multi attacking targets in upper hundreds. The T45 is dependent on an innovative propulsion/power system which must deliver otherwise all other features fail. The problems seem to center around undelivered power levels and variables such as SEA Water Temperature and it's effects on power train cooling.
          I'm presuming that HT cooling system is a FW system ,and the LT cooling is also fresh water for lube oils, and this in turn is cooled by Sea Water system. The problem is common to all ships that travel inter climate where sea water can rise close to 30deg C.
          I remember slight problems with P31 off Bermuda until we adjusted it with reduced power demand. The T45 problems will be solved, at cost, however building specifications on power and propulsion need to be tighter especially for all seas and climates operations.
          It always brings me back to the fact that all ships accepted into state service must be classified as Good To Go, therefore during the guarantee period the ship should be tried out on an oceanic proving trip.
          Have to say. I really do enjoy reading your posts.

Comment

Originally posted by ibenji View Post
            Have to say. I really do enjoy reading your posts.
            Helps that he knows what he is talking about.
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Spider.

Clear your pm inbox
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Photos seem to suggest the entire Type 45 class tied up .

Now if six of the primary defence vessels for the fleet or indeed the nation are tied up awaiting repairs how soon can it be done.

And the good news ..Type 23s are still out there doing the job.

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post

Now if six of the primary defence vessels for the fleet or indeed the nation are tied up awaiting repairs how soon can it be done.

Well I think one of them is in reduced manning and is a training ship for the next couple of years, and others had returned from sailing but yeah it's not exactly a great sight.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                    Well I think one of them is in reduced manning and is a training ship for the next couple of years, and others had returned from sailing but yeah it's not exactly a great sight.
                    I did say that earlier. HMS Duncan has been reduced to harbour training ship role.

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post

More jumping to conclusions...

I cleared my inbox three days ago BTW.
                      'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

More jumping to conclusions...

I cleared my inbox three days ago BTW.
                        In reply to press queries regarding the entire T45 squadron being tied up the RN stated that 34 other RN units are at sea (presumably on operational station).

Comment

the torygraph today have an article entitled "labour saddled navy ships with dodgy engines".

The former Labour Government ignored concerns about the reliability of the engines for the Royal Navy’s most powerful warships in order to buy from a British manufacturer, a former head of Britain’s Maritime Warfare Centre has said.

Comment

Originally posted by paul g View Post
                            the torygraph today have an article entitled "labour saddled navy ships with dodgy engines".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...dodgy-engines/
                            Ha and the MOD, Navy, Rolls Royce and BAE are not to blame then!
                            Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Typical Torygraph. Where do I even start. 6 ships have 12 engines. It is the ships that are worth >1G€ each, not the engines. And they are not being replaced, but every T45 is getting an additional diesel.

Comment

The problem is the GE supplied intercooler. They should have stuck to the proven COGOG propulsion system.

Comment

Working...
                                X