Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLAM Missle

Originally posted by DeV View Post
    Can't Harpoons also be used for land attack?
    As far as I am aware, NOT from a ship. The missile sea skims to target. The Standoff Land Attack Missile was developed to be Air Dropped with a souped up warhead from Tomahawk and advanced electronics for guidance.

Comment

• The Harpoon is still a leading ASM especially in its latent Block II+ version. It seems like the RN is getting started again by short sighted MOD bean counters.
      If they are to replace the Harpoon then the NSM or RBS15 would add a land attack capability.

Comment

• The crisis in the RN made sky news today. Not enough hulls in the water in terms of destroyers, and all the frigates are old, with no replacement currently in build, and one for one replacement not assured.

The comparison being made with the Russian carrier group that did its recent tour of the British Isles.
        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• HMG seem to be more concerned about shipbuilding jobs-defence industry than the Services. Complete paralysis regarding getting new hulls underway.

Comment

• You may have missed this announcement I almost did;

Defence Secretary Michael Fallon has confirmed the order of eight Type 26 Frigates on the Clyde and revealed that steel will be cut in Summer.
            'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

• Only 8 frigates? There was a time you wouldn't see a carrier group leave the solent with anything less.
              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by spider View Post
                You may have missed this announcement I almost did;

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/type...-start-summer/
                While the RN goes about getting new hulls in the water it seems to me that (as suggested here before) a stretched River is to be the new Type 31"Light Frigate"....It also seems to be the case that the original 3 Batch1 Rivers will be sold as part of the process......I recon these OPVs will be sold at bargain basement prices.....In my opinion the INS should go for them if they become available.
                Forget about replacing the P40s with "something similar".....Sell them to the Phillipines who have 3 already and are "upgrading" them presently.

Perhaps that would free up the NS to go after something like a DAMEN Crossover (logistics) to replace Eithne.

Comment

• Originally posted by Galloglass View Post
                  While the RN goes about getting new hulls in the water it seems to me that (as suggested here before) a stretched River is to be the new Type 31"Light Frigate"....It also seems to be the case that the original 3 Batch1 Rivers will be sold as part of the process......I recon these OPVs will be sold at bargain basement prices.....In my opinion the INS should go for them if they become available.
                  Forget about replacing the P40s with "something similar".....Sell them to the Phillipines who have 3 already and are "upgrading" them presently.

Perhaps that would free up the NS to go after something like a DAMEN Crossover (logistics) to replace Eithne.
                  Malta took Aoife into service when she was 37 years old but she was a vessel built in a different age to different standards. I'm not sure that an acquisition of the Batch 1s would really be the bargain basement deal that it appears to be.

Comment

• Originally posted by Medsailor View Post
                    Malta took Aoife into service when she was 37 years old but she was a vessel built in a different age to different standards. I'm not sure that an acquisition of the Batch 1s would really be the bargain basement deal that it appears to be.

http://www.parliament.uk/business/pu...-10-03/HL2074/
                    A fair point, I'd add in that the UK/RN does have a bit of a history of selling off hulls at "great bargains" that don't end up as so when a good look is given to them (the Canadian Sub's, the Australian Amphib hull). That being said having read one of the many "what if" articles about Brexit, what impact on patrols will the UK leaving the CFP have? Will more attention be needed in the Irish Sea or around NI waters?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                      A fair point, I'd add in that the UK/RN does have a bit of a history of selling off hulls at "great bargains" that don't end up as so when a good look is given to them (the Canadian Sub's, the Australian Amphib hull). That being said having read one of the many "what if" articles about Brexit, what impact on patrols will the UK leaving the CFP have? Will more attention be needed in the Irish Sea or around NI waters?
                      That's an interesting one. On the one hand they will no longer have to deal with regulating the legitimate fishing activities of those EU-flagged vessels (mostly Spanish) that are permitted to fish within the UK EEZ. On the other hand, they will have to turn their hand to keeping many of the same vessels out of the same area. Perhaps this will be one of the areas where the eventual Brexit deal mill maintain status quo ante. Or perhaps they'll conclude bilateral deals with those States who want to allow their national fleets to continue fishing in the UK EEZ.

Must say, don't envy that Davis guy....

Comment

• Yip ship numbers really low for the U.K now http://www.janes.com/article/65651/r..._source=Eloqua I bet they can't wait till they see the new ships !

Comment

• Originally posted by andy View Post
                          Yip ship numbers really low for the U.K now I bet they can't wait till they see the new ships !
                          They'll still be waiting as the steel for the first 26 isn't starting till summer next year, though perhaps the 31 will be produced in other yards during the same period, though perhaps other options would be looking at manpower levels (which has one of the 23's laid up) or the 45's engine issues (which combined with manpower has another laid up). When you think of it, the 45 production run was reduced due to costs ending up with the 6 being "billion pound ships", and yet it looks like the 26's will start at a billion each even after the dodge of using the 23 upgrade to sink some of the costs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                            Bit like an ex-squad car, dont touch it. Whilst in service and especially if there is any chance of foreign orders the units concerned will be feted as "world class"etc. When finally flogged off the unit is one big wart.

Comment

• The PEACOCKS were ok. The corvettes were ok. The CMS's were generally ok except Banba, my one was great. The Canadian sub got across a very aggressive winter sea, but unfortunately went on fire. Then sub survived so the hull and boat systems must have been adequate. The RAN Choules had an electrical problem that stopped her for 12 months but again as a ship she held together.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                                The PEACOCKS were ok. The corvettes were ok. The CMS's were generally ok except Banba, my one was great. The Canadian sub got across a very aggressive winter sea, but unfortunately went on fire. Then sub survived so the hull and boat systems must have been adequate. The RAN Choules had an electrical problem that stopped her for 12 months but again as a ship she held together.
                                If all P62 (ex-Aoife) could do was hold together, we would be rather upset! She was acquired as a working, viable PV and that's what we have expected of her and what she has done rather well. Whether the ships are well-designed and capable of taking it on the chin isn't the whole story, the real issue is whether they are fit for their intended operational purpose without too much fuss.
                                Last edited by Medsailor; 28 November 2016, 08:31.

Comment

Working...
                                X