Royal Navy Type 31

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Medsailor View Post
    If all P62 (ex-Aoife) could do was hold together, we would be rather upset! She was acquired as a working, viable PV and that's what we have expected of her and what she has done rather well. Whether the ships are well-designed and capable of taking it on the chin isn't the whole story, the real issue is whether they are fit for their intended operational purpose without too much fuss.
    I should have said "Good to Go". Making the point that passed on tonnage is never meant to be anything other than operational. Many Navies are using large Naval units from the bigger powers and are more than capable of maintaining influence in their territories. You are of course correct in what you say.

Comment

• Was aoife provided with all weapons intact?
      There is no problem that cannot be fixed with high explosive.

Comment

• The UK report on shipbuilding is getting some movement:
        The strategy will lay the foundations for a modern, efficient and competitive sector capable of meeting the country’s future defence and security needs.

It also has more detail on his suggestion on the 31, including giving the nod to the BMT Venator design.

Comment

• Seems to be challenging the odious monopoly enjoyed by BAE at page 5. It would be a great all round result if the units got to be in service on time, spec & cost.

Comment

• Originally posted by danno View Post
            Seems to be challenging the odious monopoly enjoyed by BAE at page 5. It would be a great all round result if the units got to be in service on time, spec & cost.
            Indeed, kind of surprised to see the P60 order highlighted. But BAE must have known this was coming given what's happened with the 26 program. I wonder just how the MOD/RN will take onboard his views about exports (and I'm guessing is too late for the 26 and Australia).

Comment

• The 26 appears as a strategic RN unit whereas the 31 is seen as a strategic shipbuilding industry asset. Very aspirational regarding exports with Brexit probably overtaking the report.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stinger View Post
                Was aoife provided with all weapons intact?
                If she was, there is no evidence of that obvious from posts over on "Future of retired......" thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by danno View Post
                  If she was, there is no evidence of that obvious from posts over on "Future of retired......" thread.
                  Only the 40mm. 20mm and Gimpys were removed. Replaced with 0.50" M2 and PKM respectively.

Comment

• The Sunday Times last week had a story suggesting that the T31 contract will be a choice between Babcock and BAE with a proposal for building six vessels.

Comment

• Vis;

In the shadow of the Forth Road Bridge in Scotland, lie the centrepieces of the Royal Navy’s future power.

Comment

• Originally posted by Galloglass View Post
                        The Sunday Times last week had a story suggesting that the T31 contract will be a choice between Babcock and BAE with a proposal for building six vessels.
                        So the BMT design might have lost out, it will be interesting to see what choice is made eventually, do they give more to BAE and hope the project doesn't spiral, or trust Babcock with it. Would be funny as hell if the RN ended up getting a variant of the P60's though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                          So the BMT design might have lost out, it will be interesting to see what choice is made eventually, do they give more to BAE and hope the project doesn't spiral, or trust Babcock with it. Would be funny as hell if the RN ended up getting a variant of the P60's though.
                          Here is something I found, the Document was last modified in Feb 2017, It's an interesting looking ship, but a little more dated looking than the Venator/P60 type design.

Seems these guys think they were in with a shout also.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herald View Post
                            Here is something I found, the Document was last modified in Feb 2017, It's an interesting looking ship, but a little more dated looking than the Venator/P60 type design.

Seems these guys think they were in with a shout also.

http://www.stellersystems.co.uk/wp-c...n-Brochure.pdf
                            Saw that, what other designs (if any) have they produced recently? I mean lets face it the core aim of the 31 is cheap! The RN/MOD can't afford much other than minor mods to an existing design (given that Successor is going to be taking the money by the time these start getting built)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                              Saw that, what other designs (if any) have they produced recently? I mean lets face it the core aim of the 31 is cheap! The RN/MOD can't afford much other than minor mods to an existing design (given that Successor is going to be taking the money by the time these start getting built)
                              Most of it seems to be civvy, but I'd say a lot of design houses trade on previous experience/contacts of the principals, and in that regard, these guys new chief Architect is ex Quinetix.They have done some work for the RN and also the Thai Navy, but its very much outsourced/third party consultancy.

I dunno about the minor mods? If that were the case then you'd just end up with a Type 26 FFNW. Or a type 26 fitted with lots of empty spaces without very much in the way of subsystems .
                              Other than that, you're basically at the SuperOPV level.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herald View Post
                                Most of it seems to be civvy, but I'd say a lot of design houses trade on previous experience/contacts of the principals, and in that regard, these guys new chief Architect is ex Quinetix.They have done some work for the RN and also the Thai Navy, but its very much outsourced/third party consultancy.
                                To me given how much the 26's have gone off the rails and the upcoming issues (Successor and even the fix of the 45's) if the MOD/RN are smarter this time they will go for the low risk bid, though given past projects it could end up the complete opposite.

I dunno about the minor mods? If that were the case then you'd just end up with a Type 26 FFNW. Or a type 26 fitted with lots of empty spaces without very much in the way of subsystems .
                                Other than that, you're basically at the SuperOPV level.
                                Honestly the 26 GP would have made the most sense, they've spent 25 years doing development work, they are finally at the point of starting to build the things, why not use efficiencies of production? Instead we have the 31, of which BAE's suggestions are pretty low risk/mods for example. That being said it still doesn't make sense to me, I mean even just take the main gun issue, more new buy 5" with the costs they have? Stick end of life 4.5" mounts on it, start a new supplychain for a 76mm? or mount something smaller on a "Frigate"?

Type 31 seems to be more a political kite ie they wanted to save money from the costly 26's but avoid the political cost of reducing the RN further, so these "Light Frigates" are going to solve the issues of hull numbers/costs/exports all in one go... Or rather kick the issue into the next or second next Parliaments.

Comment

Working...
                                X