Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cadetship or recruit

What are your own views?
    I shot the Sherriff, but I didn't shoot the Deputy.

Do you prefer beer or wine?
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Chicken or beef.
      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Very different. Each has their faults and merits. Advantages and disadvantages.

How long is a piece of string
        Scheduled fun will commence at 1900Hrs.
        Punishment beatings will continue until moral improves.

Comment

I just considering when one is older and not as fit as u used to be would u prefer a "comfortable" officer desk job and sacrifice being one of the lads or join as a private, have the craic with ur comrades but would u envy an officers job when ur older

Comment

Too young for the current cadet competition. Deciding should I apply as a recruit or wait, work or college while doing RDF and apply next year. What r your opinions?

Comment

There are 2 downsides I can think of being an officer:
              - getting moved every 2 or 3 years
              - you have to be the responsible adult

Comment

Also what are the chances of receiving a cadetship or recruit place.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish View Post
                  Too young for the current cadet competition. Deciding should I apply as a recruit or wait, work or college while doing RDF and apply next year. What r your opinions?
                  My opinion is that you're most likely taking the piss.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish View Post
                    How old are you?
                    To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

18 in June. N the RDF

Comment

if you really are serious about wanting to join the DF (and making it a career) apply for both.

It's unlikely they will be advertised at same time but apply for both regardless. If cadets come up first go through the process until stopped or successful. If recruits come up first do the same. If you enter training and get a cadet sppot after, you will be able to move across to cadet training. Similarly, if in the cadet process and unsuccessful, if having applied for recruit training you can start that when it comes up.

If you go the recruit route and are serving you can always apply for cadets in any future competition also.

Do your research for both, especially officer/cadet roles and training. There's a lot more involved and expected of candidates in the officer selection process. Don't be ignorant of these and what they mean if you are commissioned.
                        An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

If you are under 18, you are also currently too young to join the RDF BTW.

I look at it this way, when going for a cadetship you could well be competing for a place with people who are RDF NCOs with a lot of experience and Masters degrees or PDF privates with a degree and a trip overseas. If it comes down to the last 2 places (against a school leaver who is a RDF recruit and/or starting a degree, who do you think will lose out?).

To illustrate how competitive it is to get a cadetship, there were 1826 applications for cadetships in 2014 - there were only 42 places. And not all of them will pass the tests and be awarded a commission.

Not to be personal or put you off but my advice is get into a good degree and join the RDF when you turn 18.

Best of luck

Comment

1826 for 42? is that all? Aer Lingus; 2000+ for 12 pilot cadetships...

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                              1826 for 42? is that all? Aer Lingus; 2000+ for 12 pilot cadetships...
                              An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Working...
                              X