Interesting for me:

- the AC gets an additional €2.2m annually for EAS
    - Irish led nation in the UNIFIL Bn in Nov
    - doubling our EUTM Mali contingent
    - sending personnel to MINUSMA
    - no strategic decisions made on NS replacement vessels
    - Cessna replacement to be advertised in near future
    - decision on MOWAG LEP/replacement/other solution in next 3 months
    - PDFORRA have a case going to the Court of Appeal on the appointment of the current ODF

Comment

Possibility of construction of Peace Institute; no mention of 9 unit NS.

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post
        no mention of 9 unit NS.
        Never mind that .... nothing even in major traction with regard to CPV and HPV replacements.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
          Never mind that .... nothing even in major traction with regard to CPV and HPV replacements.
          Did you not reach chapter 8 yet?
          The White Paper provides for the replacement of the current flagship, LÉ Eithne, with a multi-roled vessel (MRV). LÉ Eithne was built in 1984. In addition, the two existing Coastal Patrol Vessels, LÉ Ciara and LÉ Orla are due for replacement in the coming years (also built in 1984). The White Paper provides that these ships will be replaced with similar type vessels with countermine and counter IED capabilities.
          Initial work on the replacement strategy is underway in the Defence Organisation but no strategic decisions have been made as yet
          I understand NHQ did not push the matter enough while Coveney was minister, and there may have been a missed opportunity.
          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Any prizes for guessing the redacted stuff ??

Comment

page 36/36 air defense radar ?

Comment

Originally posted by terrier View Post
                Any prizes for guessing the redacted stuff ??
                Well at least they learned their lesson from the previous mistakes where they published redacted text that was easily uncovered with a Copy/paste exercise.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                  Interesting for me:

- the AC gets an additional €2.2m annually for EAS
                  - Irish led nation in the UNIFIL Bn in Nov
                  - doubling our EUTM Mali contingent
                  - sending personnel to MINUSMA
                  - no strategic decisions made on NS replacement vessels
                  - Cessna replacement to be advertised in near future
                  - decision on MOWAG LEP/replacement/other solution in next 3 months
                  - PDFORRA have a case going to the Court of Appeal on the appointment of the current ODF
                  The costs of the EAS is a refund by the Department of Health.

The Irish-Finnish Battalion in Lebanon was planned to be back under Irish command this month with 109 Bn replacing the 51 Inf Gp but the Government put a stop to that, instead the Finn's are keeping command for another six months and 53 Inf Gp replacing 51.
                  The new plan then was the Irish-Finn Batt will be back under Irish command in November with the the 109 Bn replacing the 53 Inf Gp but now the Government are saying in this brief it will be under Irish command but with 55 Inf Gp replacing 53 and not a Battalion. The Fine Gael anti-overseas policy continues.

Comment

Originally posted by restless View Post
                    page 36/36 air defense radar ?
                    Section is titled "Cessna Replacement Programme and other Air Corps aircraft requirements", so I suspect it's to do with the fit and potential roles of the Cessna replacements

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                      The costs of the EAS is a refund by the Department of Health.

The Irish-Finnish Battalion in Lebanon was planned to be back under Irish command this month with 109 Bn replacing the 51 Inf Gp but the Government put a stop to that, instead the Finn's are keeping command for another six months and 53 Inf Gp replacing 51.
                      The new plan then was the Irish-Finn Batt will be back under Irish command in November with the the 109 Bn replacing the 53 Inf Gp but now the Government are saying in this brief it will be under Irish command but with 55 Inf Gp replacing 53 and not a Battalion.
                      The Fine Gael anti-overseas policy continues
                      This is new to me. So their Ministers of Defence aren't being up front when they praise the overseas contingents ?

Comment

Originally posted by terrier View Post
                        This is new to me. So their Ministers of Defence aren't being up front when they praise the overseas contingents ?
                        I have the overseas deployment plan in writing from a D COS. I was also told by the Finnish last year that they were handing command back to the Irish in May 2016.

Comment

Ministerial Brief
                          Department of Defence
                          June 2017

Comment

As a civil servant, Defence looks very top heavy with regards to civvy management.
                            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

The first 10 pages are solely dedicated to make sure that te minister and the military know that the Civilian side of the DoD hold all the decision making power - and don't you forget it.

I would like to see the qualifications of a numbe of those senior appointments in relation to their suitability and competence in the provision of Defence and Security

Comment

Working...
                              X