Defending the Irish airspace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
    Worth remembering that the guy with the triangle in the band is getting tech pay.
    The band are great for morale, but unfortunately their appearance is so short that their effect is negligible.
    As for the pony club.... No military function whatsoever. May as well hire the irish soccer team, give them a beret each and call them the irish army soccer team. Same difference.
    Not unknown to have full time sports people in European militaries

Comment

• With bigger or smaller budgets?
      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Having one or two world famous sportsmen in an army does no harm but having multiples of bands in one small army is a bit of a waste.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
          Having one or two world famous sportsmen in an army does no harm but having multiples of bands in one small army is a bit of a waste.
          I'd say the reverse. The Bands give good value for money, and are far more popular with the public than the pony club, whose following is a niche in irish society who care little for the rest of the work the DF does.

Comment

• And who haven’t had amazing results over the last few years

Comment

• Not since John Ledingham was a captain..

Comment

• The RAF are putting a new radar head back at Saxa Vord in the Shetlands.

Bearing in mind it’s going to be a fixed remote head on a very remote site that they already own and probably still has all the power, comms etc infrastructure intact....it’s costing UK£10 million.

A new RAF radar facility reinforcing the UK’s ability to track unidentified military or civilian aircraft will be powered up ready to operate soon, the head of the RAF heard today.

It’s reported as being a AN/TPS-77 which would have a range of up to 470km/250nm

Comment

• A Giraffe is the radar equivalent of a man standing on a small hill....

Comment

A Giraffe is the radar equivalent of a man standing on a small hill....
                    depends on which version

The UK are buying them now

Comment

• I say Thales TRAC NG

Last edited by DeV; 30 May 2018, 20:44.

Comment

A Giraffe is the radar equivalent of a man standing on a small hill....
                        Giraffe was bought to provide guidance for FLAADS, it's a point/local AD system and Giraffe in an appropriate radar for that task - the surveillance radars are the three big AN/TPS-77 radars on the mountain tops, and they can see waaaaaaaaayyyyyyy the hell out into the South Atlantic.

Comment

• Aren't they a variant of the big phased array radars on American ships?

Comment

Aren't they a variant of the big phased array radars on American ships?
                            Dunno,but if you get too close you'll end up with funny looking kids....

Comment

• Originally posted by pym View Post

Line of sight for that loc at 2500ft & 5000ft respectively
                              How do you do that and what does it show?

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                                How do you do that and what does it show?
                                I can't actually remember the site - I'll dig it up tomorrow.

Basically it's a line of sight calculator. If I am in X location, I can see something at 2500ft up to Y distance, or at 5000ft up to Z distance. The higher a long range search radar is located, the further it can see.

Comment

Working...
                                X