Clear All

• Originally posted by Jetjock View Post
    But we wouldn't give them to the nuns!
    All kinds of images of armed Nuns going through my head right now

Squadron of 12 Gripens at Baldonnel.
    Flight of 4 for intercept,
    Flight of 4 in ground attack/surveillance (army support),
    Flight of 4 for training.

Pilots rotating regularly to different roles and standby duties.

*prepares for incoming*
    Theirs not to make reply,
    Theirs not to reason why,
    Theirs but to do and die:
    Into the valley of Death
    Rode the six hundred.

The Charge of the Light Brigade

Comment

• Originally posted by mugs View Post
      All kinds of images of armed Nuns going through my head right now

Squadron of 12 Gripens at Baldonnel.
      Flight of 4 for intercept,
      Flight of 4 in ground attack/surveillance (army support),
      Flight of 4 for training.

Pilots rotating regularly to different roles and standby duties.

*prepares for incoming*
      Swing role fighter means it can do the three jobs in the same sortie if necessary.

Realistic your looking at 30+% being unavailable due to maintenance

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
        Swing role fighter means it can do the three jobs in the same sortie if necessary.

Realistic your looking at 30+% being unavailable due to maintenance
        So buy 16 JAS-39 F "Growler" and Bob's your auntie.

Comment

• Don't forget Fleet Time management, which all of the decent air forces practise, where a portion are grounded in flyable storage to save hours, so knock off a chunk of your twelve for that and suddenly your daily availability is down to four...

Comment

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
            Don't forget Fleet Time management, which all of the decent air forces practise, where a portion are grounded in flyable storage to save hours, so knock off a chunk of your twelve for that and suddenly your daily availability is down to four...
            so in order to have 12 available that means buy 24?

Comment

• well, that size of buy wouldn't wash with Finance, so base your thinking on 12....as for swing role, that depends on how fast the loaders can change missiles to bombs.....also, you'd have to seriously consider Shannon as an alternate permanent base, given that so much of the Don's workload happens over there.

Comment

well, that size of buy wouldn't wash with Finance, so base your thinking on 12....as for swing role, that depends on how fast the loaders can change missiles to bombs.....also, you'd have to seriously consider Shannon as an alternate permanent base, given that so much of the Don's workload happens over there.
                Shannon would be sensible, also for noise reasons. I grew up with the 'sound of freedom'. It's kinda loud As for swing role. At home we realistically only need AA armament. Deploy abroad for needing bombs.
                Last edited by Graylion; 7 September 2017, 13:34.

Comment

well, that size of buy wouldn't wash with Finance, so base your thinking on 12....as for swing role, that depends on how fast the loaders can change missiles to bombs.....also, you'd have to seriously consider Shannon as an alternate permanent base, given that so much of the Don's workload happens over there.
                  Gripes is fast changing

Originally posted by Graylion View Post
                  Shannon would be sensible, also for noise reasons. I grew up with the 'sound of freedom'. It's kinda loud As for swing role. At home we realistically only need AA armament. Deploy abroad for needing bombs.
                  Only if ROE allow them

Comment

• Originally posted by Graylion View Post
                    so in order to have 12 available that means buy 24?
                    What numbers are the Eastern European nations with loans going for in terms of numbers? Croatia and Hungary went with 14 (mixed) while other offers have been around a squadron worth.

Comment

• Figures from recently for countries who leased a squadron from Saab, for 10 year periods - 1 squadron = 80 -100m per year...

note: coastguard can afford 5 x Sikorsky S92 @ 50m per year for 10 years ... this isnt rocket science.
                      "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                      "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• It can be done. If there is a Defence budget commensurate with Ireland's wealth and a Defence department commensurate with a sovereign state and not the Rhode Island National Guard.

Comment

• Found on Twitter..

Short story: A Russian bomber drops a nuclear bomb in Mayo, causing problems..

https://twitter.com/jasonomahony/sta...58645766090752

Comment

• Originally posted by expat01 View Post
                            It can be done. If there is a Defence budget commensurate with Ireland's wealth and a Defence department commensurate with a sovereign state and not the Rhode Island National Guard.
                            have you done an actual comparison? I am not sure of the outcome ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Graylion View Post
                              have you done an actual comparison? I am not sure of the outcome ...
                              Well I have now, albeit on my phone!
                              Rhode Island 2017 budget included $24.68 million for the National Guard including capital expenditure, direct salaires, retirement and health benefits. But the US National Guard comes under the DoD.
                              So I found federal defence spending in each state, which includes federal purchases of equipment manufactured in a state and on federal forces stationed there so not much help. However there was also a breakdown of salary into National Guard and federal. In 2017 43% of that salary figure in RI was for the Guard, totalling $319.49 million
                              That sounds like between state and federal, $344.17 million was spent on the Rhode Island National Guard salaries which includes an Air National Guard: the 143rd Airlift Wing operating Hercules C130J, the 102d Information Warfare Squadron who seem to be computer techies and the 282d Combat Communications Squadron who make the telephones work. Equipment seems to fall under a general National Guard budget vote as part of the federal budget.

California Tanker would know this stuff...
                              Last edited by expat01; 11 October 2017, 15:19.

Comment

• Air Defence and Surveillance on an Atlantic Island requires - Air Survellance and Tracking, MPA capability on call 24/7, 12 Low cost Jets eg Scorpion, mainly training and jet skills,and ground support if adaptable, and six/twelve mach 1, interceptors, leased and supported if necessary. All decent Irish airports with hard runways should have an Air Corps niche with fuelling and portable facilities. Some opinion stated that in Europe there is an average of 8 military jets per 1m population which means we should have about 40 jet equivalent value, to cover jets and other service aircraft.
                                Last edited by ancientmariner; 9 December 2017, 10:58.

Comment

Working...
                                X