No announcement yet.

Defending the Irish airspace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not so sure it's fantasy anymore. The sense I got from answers to Dail questions suggested to me that the minister knows it's a gap but that it's a serious budget increase and it ain't happening in a hurry. It's a more nuanced position than "can't buy them and sure what would we be needing that for anyway?"

Comment

The "funny" part is those who are up in arms in the dail about various perceived military air (and sea) incursions, are the very same ones who would object loudest should a single cent be spent on anything to prevent or deter such incursions.
      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
        The "funny" part is those who are up in arms in the dail about various perceived military air (and sea) incursions, are the very same ones who would object loudest should a single cent be spent on anything to prevent or deter such incursions.
        Well those double standards aren't exactly new are they...

Comment

I originally mooted the idea of additional IAA controlled Primary RRH's, basically to cut expenses for the DoD/DF - but I think Jetjock raised some good counter points to that idea in the other thread.

It probably(?) would be cheaper to have civilian spec, civilian operated, long range primary radar with the picture shared in Bal. But those systems wont be equipped for ECCM and other modes.

If that's the road the State went down, then ideally I'd like to the DF being equipped in its own right with a couple of Thales GM200 or Giraffe 4A medium range systems - very deployable, ECCM, counter battery/C-RAM capabilities and can integrate into modern AD networks.

I don't think there's any chance of IAC fastjets in the next 20 years, but that's no reason to remain in ignorance of activity in our airspace.

Comment

so say at 1000 hrs tomorrow the RAF/NATS tells the IAA there is a Bear with no transponder on flying in Irish controlled airspace off the West coast.

How long will it take one of these mobile radars to get from Athlone or Dublin to Donegal?

When it arrives there it still can't detect it as it doesn't have the range.

Even if it could can it be linked into the IAA radar picture
            Last edited by DeV; 1 August 2016, 16:17.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
              so say at 1000 hrs tomorrow the RAF/NATS tells the IAA there is a Bear with no transponder on flying in Irish controlled airspace off the West coast. I

How long will it take one of these mobile radars to get from Athlone or Dublin to Donegal?

When it arrives there it still can't detect it as it doesn't have the range.

Even if it could can it be linked into the IAA radar picture
              You're after completely missing the point of what I said - I said if long range civilian primary radars are to be operated by the IAA, I would still want the DF to have an enhanced capability of their own.

Properly located civilian long range primary radar will have no problems detecting Bears or other military/civilian aircraft with disabled transponders.

Provided they're not actively jamming and/or Stealth.

Cost.
              Last edited by pym; 1 August 2016, 17:36.

Comment

Originally posted by pym View Post
                I .............t probably(?) would be cheaper to have civilian spec, civilian operated, long range primary radar with the picture shared in Bal. But those systems wont be equipped for ECCM and other modes.
                Maybe it happens frequently but it would be high stakes for any given State to jam civvy radar for posturing purposes regardless of to whom the picture was being repeated to.
                If the intruding bear was such a big deal then why was there no diplomatic response etc .

Comment

AC is 18% below establishment for the aircraft it does have
                  On Friday 29th July, the Minister with Responsibility for Defence, Mr Paul Kehoe T.D, accompanied by the Chief of Staff of the Defence Forces, Vice Admiral Mark Mellet, attended the Commissioning Ceremony of new officers, at the Air Corps Headquarters in Casement Aerodrome, Baldonnel. The occ

Comment

A good start for the AC to get in on the AD act here would be to assign AD from Arty to AC. It pretty futile to postulate AC getting such and such sensor suite and such and such interceptor while it has no formal role in the matter. Does the WP alter this aspect?

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post
                      Maybe it happens frequently but it would be high stakes for any given State to jam civvy radar for posturing purposes regardless of to whom the picture was being repeated to.
                      Absolutely.

If the intruding bear was such a big deal then why was there no diplomatic response etc .
                      Following the first publicised incursion two weeks previously, the Department of Foreign Affairs signalled its officials had spoken to the Russian ambassador and sought reassurances that its military aircraft would not fly into our area of control without advance notification, especially if their transponders were off.
                      Commercial jets carrying hundreds of people had to be diverted in mid-air or else prevented from taking off to avoid potential collisions with two Russian bear bombers which “cloaked” their presence during their latest incursion into Irish-controlled airspace.

Comment

you'd probably have more effect on the Russians if you went down to the IFSC and had a poke around a few bank accounts.....air defence (anti-aircraft guns,etc) has always been the jealous preserve of the Army, right back to WW2 and the Air Corps must be the only air arm in the world that has never permanently based defensive weapons at it's own air bases. The Army always had the Bofors and a few machine guns, the NS always had the Bofors and 20mms on it's ships, yet the third arm has never had the means to defend it's own bases or deployable persons/aircraft/vehicles, as it's won establishment asset. They have always had to go, cap in hand, to the Army to do that job. It is beyond ironic that the Air Corps museum was given two Bofors when the Army retired them, having never operated them at all in it's entire history. WW 2 proved beyond all doubt that an air arm has to have the means to defend it's bases and it's deployed assets. That's why the RAF created the RAF Regiment, because they found out the hard way that they couldn't depend on the Army to operate national and local level radar and defend their bases. Irish soldiers have gone abroad for years with no air defence worth the name. I'll bet if the Jadotville boys had had a Bofors on hand, it might have put manners on that Fouga! How many times have the Irish encountered militias with Zsu-23s or 14.5s or 12.7s on the back of pickups, yet they seem unable to bring the same with them when they go on tour? Next time the Navy cast off their 20mms, stick it on a DROPs pallet or a flatbed, paint it green and the Army can play with it.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                          you'd probably have more effect on the Russians if you went down to the IFSC and had a poke around a few bank accounts.....air defence (anti-aircraft guns,etc) has always been the jealous preserve of the Army, right back to WW2 and the Air Corps must be the only air arm in the world that has never permanently based defensive weapons at it's own air bases. The Army always had the Bofors and a few machine guns, the NS always had the Bofors and 20mms on it's ships, yet the third arm has never had the means to defend it's own bases or deployable persons/aircraft/vehicles, as it's won establishment asset. They have always had to go, cap in hand, to the Army to do that job. It is beyond ironic that the Air Corps museum was given two Bofors when the Army retired them, having never operated them at all in it's entire history. WW 2 proved beyond all doubt that an air arm has to have the means to defend it's bases and it's deployed assets. That's why the RAF created the RAF Regiment, because they found out the hard way that they couldn't depend on the Army to operate national and local level radar and defend their bases. Irish soldiers have gone abroad for years with no air defence worth the name. I'll bet if the Jadotville boys had had a Bofors on hand, it might have put manners on that Fouga! How many times have the Irish encountered militias with Zsu-23s or 14.5s or 12.7s on the back of pickups, yet they seem unable to bring the same with them when they go on tour? Next time the Navy cast off their 20mms, stick it on a DROPs pallet or a flatbed, paint it green and the Army can play with it.
                          If we postulate the civilian radars, my thinking is that we'd still want some military personnel - possibly reservists - in the IAA control centres keeping an eye on things. It does not strike me as sensible for them to be arty types.

Comment

there are politics attached to having a Donner sharing ATC with actual IAA atc types, believe me. The Donners wanted x and the civvies wanted y and there was some handbagging going on. Any operation of radar in this country has to suit the IAA first and the rest later.

Comment

A good start for the AC to get in on the AD act here would be to assign AD from Arty to AC. It pretty futile to postulate AC getting such and such sensor suite and such and such interceptor while it has no formal role in the matter. Does the WP alter this aspect?
                              Said that on this site years ago, I was told that no one else did it, so why should we..
                              So as I said before, air defence under control of the Air Corps, with a reserve element.
                              "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                              Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                              Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                                there are politics attached to having a Donner sharing ATC with actual IAA atc types, believe me. The Donners wanted x and the civvies wanted y and there was some handbagging going on. Any operation of radar in this country has to suit the IAA first and the rest later.
                                The AC can get by fine having top grade civvy radar feed to repeaters ,ie, no need to have a dedicated radar set up no more than it has its own weather station /sat network .

Comment

Working...
                                X