MOWAG replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOWAG replacement

So the Terex has been mentioned. Does an IFV fit DF doctrine? And 8-wheeler or track? CV 90 and Bronco come to mind.

I say 8x8 (as per most of the rest of the world)

Tracked is too expensive and even more maintenance intensive.

IFV is too expensive and is that to support armour (which we don't have)

Comment

Not a fan of IFVs anyway. As for tracks - how much of a gamechanger are rubber tracks?

How about http://www.military-today.com/apc/iveco_superav.htm
      Last edited by Graylion; 26 August 2016, 23:51.

Comment

How does price compare with competitors for non turret versions?

Comment

Originally posted by Graylion View Post
          Why should we go for a design without any large users? I mean seriously why not learn some of the screw ups we've had and just go with a larger userbase design and then buy enough of them?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
            Why should we go for a design without any large users? I mean seriously why not learn some of the screw ups we've had and just go with a larger userbase design and then buy enough of them?
            As in the Timoneys?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post

Point. Here is an interesting list. The Patria looks the most successful

Army-technology.com lists some of the best wheeled armoured personnel carriers operated today, based on protection and mobility.

Comment

What would be wrong with the Piranha V ? And upgrades / refurbishments for the existing fleet ?

Comment

Mentioned by whom?

Speculate all you like, but any MOWAG replacement will be subject to the usual tender process, user evaluation trials etc.
                  Last time TERREX (Not Terex, they make construction excavators) didn't make the cut as it was not in full production, while Mowag and Pandur were already in full production and used by other armies.
                  TERREX has a long way to come yet. Singapore are still currently the only operators. The USMC version under development is coming in currently at $7.5m per unit.
                  For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Patria looks like the most interesting one at the moment.

So what versions would we foresee for a full compliment of 300?

APC
                    Fire support with what? 90mm MP?
                    120mm Mortar carrier?
                    Command?
                    Ambulance?

Comment

300????

ROFL an order for 100 would make me fall off the chair

Comment

300 would be fantastic, enough cars for the Cav, Infantry and everybody else. Very unrealistic though based on cost. Has anybody factored in the increase in weight with some of the hulls mentioned above and the cost of retraining crews to operate a new vehicle. If it came to it, more mowags might be the way to go.
                        What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Turret or RWS?

Comment

RWS - Samson dual with either GPMG and 30x113 or HMG and AGL
                            Last edited by Graylion; 27 August 2016, 23:22.

Comment

Can we not just have one Walter thread for "The defence forces I'd like" in airfix?

Comment

Working...
                              X