No announcement yet.

MOWAG replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I always thought the Centauro was the most obvious like for like replacement for the AML 90. I wonder if it was ever consdiered at department level.

Comment

• Originally posted by Graylion View Post
      Yes, but those are mostly due to parts commonality. Patria, if suitably motivated, could probably be persuaded to build a lower hull with mainly the same machanics
      Perhaps, but an Irish order is not going to be enough to motivate any major company into going off and building a new model, and even if it was what would be the price tag?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
        Perhaps, but an Irish order is not going to be enough to motivate any major company into going off and building a new model, and even if it was what would be the price tag?
        Agreed - that would be a case of having a conversation and seeing who else might be interested. My ideal fire support would be a lower hull, a modified NEMO // AMOS with a stabilised turret and HEAT and HESH rounds for the 120mm mortar and a coaxial GPMG // LWMMG.

Also, if one buys the Freccia one has commonality of parts with Centauro.
        Last edited by Graylion; 7 September 2016, 16:35.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
          I understood that the MOU with the UK would allow for joint purchases to obtain max economy of scale savings, could not a similiar effort be made with Eurfor members as appropriate to allow items be accessed for purchase which would not otherwise happen on our own.
          Having said that I think we are very better off getting OPVs on our own steam.

Comment

• Originally posted by danno View Post
            I understood that the MOU with the UK would allow for joint purchases to obtain max economy of scale savings, could not a similiar effort be made with Eurfor members as appropriate to allow items be accessed for purchase which would not otherwise happen on our own.
            Having said that I think we are very better off getting OPVs on our own steam.
            It would if we were piggy backing a UK order for 500 APCs, it won't if the UK piggy back an Irish order for 100 with an order for 50.

Not to be forgotten

Comment

• We have maybe missed the bus with what support weapon to put on an 8x8!http://www.kmweg.de/home/artillerie/...itzen/agm.html

They have already tested it on the Boxer and found it did not need any additional stabilisation or further modifications. Fully automatic turret with modular charges.

Comment

• Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
                We have maybe missed the bus with what support weapon to put on an 8x8!http://www.kmweg.de/home/artillerie/...itzen/agm.html

They have already tested it on the Boxer and found it did not need any additional stabilisation or further modifications. Fully automatic turret with modular charges.
                12.5 t on its own? 'bit much, no?

Comment

• Eh , have you seen the size of a boxer? It's twice the size of a mowag

Comment

• From page 38

Comment

• Originally posted by Graylion View Post
                      12.5 t on its own? 'bit much, no?
                      'Bout the same weight as a Scania 6x6 TCV
                      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• When (ie if) the MOD ever sign a wheeled APC/IFV (that is good (and affordable)) may not be a bad idea to get in on the deal

Comment

• Worth a read http://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/2016/1...-what-why-how/

Comment

• Except we aren't talking about creating an APC mounted Bde (unless they find oil when digging Metro North and DART Undeeground). We are talking about probably up to 100 APCs @ up to €1.5m each

Comment

• Originally posted by Banner View Post
                              Ok here is my complete 100% Amateur opinion on this.

Firstly can a thread split be done by the mods so that posts relating to SP artillery be moved to the Arty Section? There seems to be some confusion here about the difference between SP Arty and direct fire vehicles.

Anyhu, my tuppence worth is that the Govt should invest in something like the CV90 40MM variant. It should be used to replace the Scorps and also used as an additional brigade level asset for each of the INF brigades that we have on paper.

How many vehicles makes up a squadron? (I have no idea that’s why Im asking) Is it 12? If so then why not get 36 combat vehicles plus 3 Command vehicles plus 3 recovery vehicles. 1 unit of 12 plus command vehicle plus recovery vehicle for each brigade and also a further 12 to replace the scorps.

This is not challenging from a political perspective. Wont cost a fortune, provides a significant boost to firepower, can effectively take on T55 /T62 and is in use with a number of countries that contribute to EU Battlegroups.

The downside is introducing another calibre of weapon. And also the crusties will go bananas about Ireland buying “Tanks”. (no bad thing and at least they are Swedish tanks that play ABBA as the default setting not nasty American killing machines. :-))
                              Of course you omitted the fact that the running costs of tracked vehicles are higher than wheeled so it's much more efficient to move them on a flat bed than under their own steam.

And the purchase price of a CV9040 is about 3 times that of a MOWAG.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                                Except we aren't talking about creating an APC mounted Bde (unless they find oil when digging Metro North and DART Undeeground). We are talking about probably up to 100 APCs @ up to €1.5m each
                                It just throws out the opinion that 8x8 or Mowag are not the only options

Comment

Working...
                                X