No announcement yet.

Defence Forces Climate Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm pretty sure I know what unit ArdMhaca is serving in.

There's some units, even Infantry ones, where guys are doing a PNCO Cse and will then be left waiting 3 to 4 years, if not longer, to get promoted to Cpl. That's wrong on any level.

Also, the promotion system for Pte to Cpl is broken. There's no merit involved whatsoever, it's purely a case of complete a PNCO Cse and then they'll just work through the list of lads in the unit based on when you completed your PNCO Cse and then seniority as the vacancies arise. There's zero incentive to actually perform on a PNCO Cse, rather than just pass it because promotion just comes down to army numbers. It's ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Toolbox View Post
      I find the promotion thing peculiar to say the least. In the last 3 years we have had nearly 2000 promotions
      !
      not many between 2007 and 2011 or so

Comment

Isn't there a points system like courses completed that is taken into account for order for promotion ? Not much use RDF commenting I know as we were not surveyed ( I wish the survey was correctly titled as the PDF Climate Survey )

Every (PDF) officer I know of is out the door with work and double and triple jobbing , several are looking eagerly at Civvy street ( some will get a severe shock but the most are smart enough to make it )
        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
          Isn't there a points system like courses completed that is taken into account for order for promotion ?
          Not for Pte to Cpl.

It's solely down to when you did your PNCO Cse and then seniority.

Comment

I'm in an infantry unit. It's mainly the promotion issue that is sapping the enthusiasm among Ptes in my unit. Lads who you would've thought would jump all over a Pots course are know questioning the point of putting themselves through the hassle. Getting screwed for 6 months in the BTC to be waiting years for a set of stripes. I enjoy my job and I try to approach it as enthusiastically as possible but the prospect of spending my career as a Pte is driving me and a lot of my mates to start looking elsewhere

Comment

Originally posted by Fridge Magnet View Post
              I'm pretty sure I know what unit ArdMhaca is serving in.

There's some units, even Infantry ones, where guys are doing a PNCO Cse and will then be left waiting 3 to 4 years, if not longer, to get promoted to Cpl. That's wrong on any level.

Also, the promotion system for Pte to Cpl is broken. There's no merit involved whatsoever, it's purely a case of complete a PNCO Cse and then they'll just work through the list of lads in the unit based on when you completed your PNCO Cse and then seniority as the vacancies arise. There's zero incentive to actually perform on a PNCO Cse, rather than just pass it because promotion just comes down to army numbers. It's ridiculous.
              I'm hearing the standard of JNCO coming through is also pretty horriffic. The most basic of drills (ones which a reservist on a pots course would have been RTUd for with a strongly worded letter to his/her CO) seem to be a mystery to them.
              The system is broken.
              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

I disagree ( Note I am RDF so I may not see all of it ). Up to a few months ago I was watching PDF good 3* going on Pots courses. Getting the stripes seemed to happen fairly regularly ( Inf Unit ) and people didn't seem to be that long waiting. For the 3rd stripe - different matter - long long wait . But no expert here. However the standards of the lads being sent was fairly high in my view.
                "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

A huge number of PDF Std NCOs Cses have been run since the promotion ban came in. I think the was 1 year there was 3 in 1 year (definitely 2)

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                    I disagree ( Note I am RDF so I may not see all of it ). Up to a few months ago I was watching PDF good 3* going on Pots courses. Getting the stripes seemed to happen fairly regularly ( Inf Unit ) and people didn't seem to be that long waiting. For the 3rd stripe - different matter - long long wait . But no expert here. However the standards of the lads being sent was fairly high in my view.
                    It could be the problem down this way was that large corps units got landed with too many average infantry unit folk wheen the 4th was disbanded. Or it could be that those from the 4th were landed in amongst larger corps units.
                    Hard to say.
                    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Are the Defence Forces facing a staff crisis?

Retired Brigade General Ger Ahern joins us to discuss a recent survey which has revealed a low 'commitment to service' among the Defence Forces.

Highlights from Newstalk Breakfast

Comment

Originally posted by ArdMhacha View Post
                        I'm in an infantry unit. It's mainly the promotion issue that is sapping the enthusiasm among Ptes in my unit. Lads who you would've thought would jump all over a Pots course are know questioning the point of putting themselves through the hassle. Getting screwed for 6 months in the BTC to be waiting years for a set of stripes. I enjoy my job and I try to approach it as enthusiastically as possible but the prospect of spending my career as a Pte is driving me and a lot of my mates to start looking elsewhere

Is it due to a lack of vancanies or what?

Comment

Related to the whole morale issue is money

ERROR 4.0.4Something  Went Wrong The page you are looking for was moved, removed, renamed or might never existed. Please Click on Home below to return to the main menu. HOME

PDFORRA going after the money alright but what about other issues

Look at the amount of maladministration, selection for overseas and courses etc complaints to ODF. It needs to be fixed!

Comment

Yes DeV, mainly a lack of vacancies.
                            They don't open up too often in my unit as a lot of the older Cpls/ Sgts are on Border Allowance and won't take a vacancy elsewhere as they'll lose the allowance, this obviously leaves few vacancies opening up for Pots qualified Ptes. Shittu situation really

Comment

Originally posted by ArdMhacha View Post
                              Yes DeV, mainly a lack of vacancies.
                              They don't open up too often in my unit as a lot of the older Cpls/ Sgts are on Border Allowance and won't take a vacancy elsewhere as they'll lose the allowance, this obviously leaves few vacancies opening up for Pots qualified Ptes. Shittu situation really
                              Isn't it personal to the holder?

Even if they are posted away they keep it, no?

Or is it leadership failure?

Comment

Border allowance is personal to holder.
                                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Working...
                                X