No announcement yet.

Defence Forces Personnel Strength Figures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A major crisis has developed in the Air Corps, due to manpower shortages and archaic equipment, with warnings it will get worse if the Government doesn’t take immediate action.

Comment

• Can I propose a rule change that bans dev from posting a url to a news story without context? For those viewing the site on mobile platforms it makes it easier not to bother visiting the site at all.
      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmit� View Post
        Can I propose a rule change that bans dev from posting a url to a news story without context? For those viewing the site on mobile platforms it makes it easier not to bother visiting the site at all.
        I second that. It's very annoying.

Comment

• Ever think that I could be on a mobile platform as well

Comment

• Touche.
            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
              Ever think that I could be on a mobile platform as well
              You should know better then.

Comment

• Handbags at dawn, ten paces.

I also post mostly from a mobile platform, leading to lots of autocabbage mistakes. Still, I would agree that along with a link, from a computer a brief summary or from another platform a brief tag describing its content is helpful.
                Last edited by expat01; 14 November 2017, 07:03.

Comment

• Originally posted by expat01 View Post
                  Handbags at dawn, ten paces.

I also post mostly from a mobile platform, leading to lots of autocabbage mistakes.Still, I would agree that along with a link, from a computer a brief summary or from another platform a brief tag describing its content is helpful.
                  I call that FFS - Fat Finger Syndrome... 😆😆😆
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                    Ever think that I could be on a mobile platform as well
                    How hard is it to copy and paste the headline of the article?

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                      I call that FFS - Fat Finger Syndrome... 😆😆😆
                      Actress, bishop. Carry on at your own convenience.

Comment

• Prime time tonight has a special on the conditions experienced by Defence Forces families. That said events today with the Tainiste may have bumped the scheduled report.

Comment

• https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/...Defence+forces

Paul Kehoe (Wexford, Fine Gael)
                          Link to this: Individually | In context
                          I propose to take Questions Nos. 772 and 774 together.
                          As of the 31stOctober, 2017 (the latest date for which figures are available), the whole time equivalent strength of the Defence Forces was as follows:
                          Service Total Personnel Female Personnel
                          Army 7,417 496
                          Naval Service 1,058 74
                          Air Corps 744 34
                          To return to, and maintain, the agreed strength levels, significant targeted recruitment has taken place in 2017.
                          A total of 702 personnel have been inducted to date in 2017 and it is planned to induct further recruits before the year end. The 702 personnel inducted encompass 567 General Service Recruits across the Army and Naval Service, along with 100 Cadets, 22Air Corps Apprentices and 13 Direct Entry Officers (11 Naval Service and 2 Military Medicine).Females represent 9.8% of those inducted in 2017. The gender breakdown of 2017 recruits across the Defence Forces is currently being compiled by the military authorities, and I will revert to the Deputy with this information when it is available.
                          The number of Officers, as at 31stOctober 2017, is 1,056 out of an establishment of 1,233. The number of Cadets in training has substantially increased recently with 100 Cadets having been recruited in each of the years 2016 and 2017. Approximately 70 Army Cadets will be commissioned in January 2018
                          Which means there is only 8,517 in the PDF with at least 18months fully trained and in appointment experience.

Which means it's below 90%

Comment

• Originally posted by TangoSierra View Post

No. In 1st year of Training/Employment (2017) = 702

No. In 2nd year of trg/employment (2016) = 690

No in 3rd year of trg/employment (2015) = 415

SubTotal = 1802

Total effective professionally competent = 9062 - 1802 = 7260

Now subtract numbers serving overseas (633)

At best case scenario the DF is being forced to provide a Military Service Capability based on 9,500 personnel with only 6,627 personnel on island that are professionally developed.

The DF have to provide on island capability with only 69% of its authorised establishment.

Now subtract leave, sick leave, maternity leave, etc etc.

But still the Minister for State thinks there's no crisis, the DoD hires another Assistant Principle Officer and every politician in the country fights tooth and nail to keep unneeded and unwanted barracks in their constituency. Unfortunately as per usual, DF personnel will have to die before action is taken and even then it will be tokenism.
                            Bumped in relation to most recent Written Answers
                            Last edited by TangoSierra; 19 December 2017, 01:00.

Comment

• Originally posted by TangoSierra View Post
                              Which means there is only 8,517 in the PDF with at least 18months fully trained and in appointment experience.

Which means it's below 90%
                              The length of their service doesn’t make any difference to establishment and strength figures

Comment

• 68 new army and 2 new AC Lts (plus 8 Maltese) as of today

Biggest commissioning in the history of the State (had to be held in the Church with the pews pushed back)

Comment

Working...
                                X