Thanks Thanks:  48
Likes Likes:  86
Dislikes Dislikes:  7
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TangoSierra View Post
    I assume you read the part about 88 cadets commissioned this year 2018?
    I did

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Defence Forces are 700 short of the target of 9,500 staff
    The Department of Defence has saved more than €166m in military pay over the past seven years by not reaching the Defence Forces’ target staffing level.

The savings have been used to buy military equipment such as naval vessels, aircraft, vehicles and weapons, and to top up the Defence Forces’ pension fund which was in deficit in the first half of the decade.

Pay savings of between €20m and €30m a year — equivalent to between 5% and 7.5% of military payroll — result from the inability to retain personnel that has dogged the armed services in recent years, as experienced officers and other ranks leave for the private sector.

The strength of the Defence Forces is about 8,800 at present, 700 short

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/i...taff-vjzk2mm7v

3. Likes DeV liked this post
    Lt General
    Post Thanks / Like
    103. Deputy Bernard J. Durkan asked the Taoiseach and Minister for Defence the degree to which he remains satisfied regarding the strength of the Army, Naval Service and Air Corps, with particular reference to ensuring the maintenance of recommended levels of strength throughout all branches; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [48631/18]
    View answer

107. Deputy Bernard J. Durkan asked the Taoiseach and Minister for Defence the number of vacant posts remaining to be filled at all levels in the Army, Naval Service and Air Corps; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [48635/18]
    View answer
    Written answers (Question to Defence)

Minister of State at the Department of Defence

I propose to take Questions Nos. 100, 103 and 107 together.
    The following table sets out the current strength (as of 31 October 2018, the latest date for which figures are available from the Defence Forces) in whole time equivalent of the PDF across all services and ranks.
    Service Strength (WTE) Establishment
    Army 7236 7520
    Air Corps 709 886
    Naval Service 993 1094
    The Government remains committed to returning to, and maintaining, the agreed strength of the Permanent Defence Force at 9,500 personnel as set out in the White Paper on Defence (2015).
    In order to achieve this target, there are significant recruitment opportunities available in the Permanent Defence Force, at both enlisted and officer level, for eligible individuals who wish to have a rewarding and positive career in service to the State. The Permanent Defence Force continues to offer excellent career opportunities for serving personnel and for new entrants. Two general service recruitment campaigns, an officer cadetships competition, a competition for Air Corps apprentices, a competition for DF School of Music instrumentalists and the 2018 RDF recruitment campaigns all took place this year.
    A second general service recruitment campaign, launched on 10 September 2018 and closed on 7 October 2018, attracted 2,111 applications. Successful applicants from this campaign will be inducted early in 2019.
    Some 600 personnel have been inducted to date in 2018. Final figures for numbers inducted in 2018 will not be available unitl year end. Recruitment progress will be reviewed in the coming weeks and this will inform future plans
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

5. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Part of the problem is that the ECF establishment isn’t enough to do the job (even with 2 Bdes)

Lt General
    Post Thanks / Like
    I find it disingenuous that the "minister" would include the recruitment of musicians as part of his plans to deal with the staff shortages in the Defence forces.
    As if the two extra flute players will assist the guys pulling three duties a week.

8. Likes EUFighter, Truck Driver liked this post
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmitÃ* View Post
    I find it disingenuous that the "minister" would include the recruitment of musicians as part of his plans to deal with the staff shortages in the Defence forces.
    As if the two extra flute players will assist the guys pulling three duties a week.
    Maybe not but it will boost their morale

Lt General
    Post Thanks / Like
    It will if said flautist is outside the guardroom practicing at 4am.

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    It will if said flautist is outside the guardroom practicing at 4am.
    Watching them dragging quivers and logs across the beach below the waterline trying not to drown in Gormo certainly cheered up a few this week
    Last edited by Fantasia; 24th November 2018 at 16:07.

12. Likes na grohmití, apod, DeV, Truck Driver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    They are included in the establishment figure too

They may not do duties but they do work unsocial hours at times eg nights and weekends and there is 1 band less to cover the events they perform at
    Last edited by DeV; 24th November 2018 at 19:55.

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    there are significant recruitment opportunities available in the Permanent Defence Force
    No sh!t. I'd say there's 600+ opportunities!

15. Likes EUFighter liked this post

Thread Information