Thanks Thanks:  27
Likes Likes:  46
Dislikes Dislikes:  3
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Soldier 2017

Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've never found gaiters that useful tbh in a patrolling env but am RDF so limited experience. Plenty of hillwalking and I find the same
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Post Thanks / Like
    Great for night patrols and night nav's when you cant see where you are stepping.I always carry mine in my Bergen.
    The modern Irish soldier is better educated,trained and equipped then any any other generation that has gone before.

"Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

3. Likes Truck Driver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fridge Magnet View Post
    What are the changes to the DPMs?

I saw a few people trialling the new boot today... Haix Scout in brown.
    Saw one of the lads in my location late last week wearing a pair. But he was issued same on foot of the fact that he is deploying overseas shortly.
    Canvas boots, fine for dry, dusty environments, but would be an absolute b'stard to get properly cleaned again if you stepped in a muckpond with them, IMHO.
    Asked him if they were Goretex lined, he didn't know...
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Those are the Haix desert boots issued for Mali. Different beast but similar design.
    The modern Irish soldier is better educated,trained and equipped then any any other generation that has gone before.

"Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".

Post Thanks / Like
    The more I think about it the more I am despising the idea of having to wear the proposed new shirt.

7. Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    The more I think about it the more I am despising the idea of having to wear the proposed new shirt.
    These are trial items at the moment, or confirmed future issues?
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Truck Driver View Post
    These are trial items at the moment, or confirmed future issues?
    The new tender

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm trying to picture how it looks from your description apod...

A shirt but with no breast pockets and slits at the side and a pen pocket on one arm?
    I knew a simple soldier boy.....
    Who grinned at life in empty joy,
    Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
    And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
    With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
    He put a bullet through his brain.
    And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
    Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
    Sneak home and pray you'll never know
    The hell where youth and laughter go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Imagine the current issue shirt.
    Now wadi the chest pockets.
    Now include a slit in the hem on each side like the current female shirt.
    Get the picture?
    Basically they have taken a male shirt and turned it into a female friendly shirt so they can save money by only having to buy one type of shirt.(Old female shirt wadied).
    So the females will be happy but the rest of us will look like shit.

12. Thanks Buck thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got a look at the Haix scout Trial boots today.Two variants of the same boot being trialed. Brown leather and black leather versions.
    Buddy trialing them said they would be great as a Barracks boot but in his opinion they are two short to be an OP boot.
    http://www.ukmcpro.co.uk/Haix-Scout-.../p/4/7/563205/

Thread Information