Thanks Thanks:  68
Likes Likes:  98
Dislikes Dislikes:  5
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Soldier 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed.The pockets should have been left as they are though or slanted backwards.

With the new design anything thing bulky in the thigh pockets will be under the front of your leg when prone.
    Comfy.
    Not.
    Stopping things falling out is moot as they have returned to the foldover design on the inside and the pocket has two buttons.
    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

2. Thanks Truck Driver thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just heard that there is a new marksmanship badge on the cards.I wonder is this to replace the current one(Proposed circa 2006) or the DF 10 badge mentioned in TM 623?
    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    Just heard that there is a new marksmanship badge on the cards.I wonder is this to replace the current one(Proposed circa 2006) or the DF 10 badge mentioned in TM 623?
    Metal badge? A metal All Army one for SD No 1 over the medal pocket would be a nice touch. What then for annual marksman qual though?
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah a metal one was proposed years ago.
    The design at the time was that it would be suspended by the button of the right chest pocket on the SD tunic.I dunno if that design went any further.

As an aside Tailored Image got the SD contract for 2018-2020 and Seyntex got the contract for the DPMs for the same time period with 3 x 1 year extensions allowed for on both contracts.

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Expect SD to not fit and fall apart within 12 months then. Their uniforms are the most travelled items of clothing in history, spending all their time being returned to the makers for faults etc.
    Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud. You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you?

7. Thanks Truck Driver thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    They are currently supplying the SD's.And yes.
    There has been loads of complaints.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the style staying the same. Or are we going with high collar?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by koppiteal View Post
    Is the style staying the same. Or are we going with high collar?
    Staying the same.For now.High collar still on the cards.

On another Haix scouts going on trial with UNIFIL.

11. Thanks koppiteal thanked for this post
    Likes koppiteal liked this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    We were using Haix Special Force Mid safety boots, now gone from the options(No longer produced in that particular pattern). Instead we have Jolly Duty Boot.
    Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud. You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Finalised Dress codes went live on the IKON main page today.
    Missing a few points though about HOW you wear the UBAC(tucked in etc and how badges are worn) and despite confirming winter dress dates it does not confirm what we already know about sleeves down etc.
    Dress code posters to be sent to units also for notice boards.

D Ord roadshows continuing showcasing the new kit.Has anybody been to one??

Private 2*
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have they said what the logic behind some of the changes are yet? The shirt just baffles me and I don't see why they would go from a vomit green T-shirt to a DPM T-shirt and now to an OD Tshirt in the space of a few years?

Post Thanks / Like
    The green t-shirt was good imho but obviously it wasn't technical type

The green technical tshirt is better imho but it will melt in a fire

The DPM tshirt was to allow the DPM outer which made sense but it's way too heavy and warm and will melt

The brown type wicking tshirt is more tactical but less uniform not sure about the heat of it

Private 2*
    Post Thanks / Like
    Technical T-shirt? what was that? I thought it was just the old Dri-Flo's then the DPM t-shirt and now these new OD ones I've seen in a few pics of new rec. plns?

Post Thanks / Like
    Technical is another word for driflo

Private 2*
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ah right, following you now Is the new uniform a complete wash and waste of money or is there some good points?

Post Thanks / Like
    Have they said what the logic behind some of the changes are yet?
    Not publicly.But the new t-shirts are flame resistant so the C-IED working group have had a hand in that.The female rep to the DFCC has had a hand in the redesign of the shirt with obvious repurcussions in it's design.
    Also spending overruns on clothing in 2016 due to the 1916 commemorations have forced a cut costs mentality to the new clothing designs and contract.

Quote Originally Posted by BorderBandit View Post
    Technical T-shirt? what was that? I thought it was just the old Dri-Flo's then the DPM t-shirt and now these new OD ones I've seen in a few pics of new rec. plns?
    Before the DRIFLO's went on issue circa 03-04 there was a plain cotton bottle green t-shirt issued,originally made by fruit of the loom.They were no good as they retained sweat and were dangerous as a result.

Ah right, following you now Is the new uniform a complete wash and waste of money or is there some good points?
    We will have to wait and see.From looking at the designs there are a few good features and some seriously stupid ones.
    Last edited by apod; Today at 09:44.

20. Thanks DeV, na grohmití thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
    Private 2*
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Apod I've been skulking around the forums many moons now before registering and you and Dev seem to have your heads well screwed on, to that end what for you's would be the ideal kind of uniform, or anyone else for that matter, what would your ideal uniform be?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Apod I've been skulking around the forums many moons now before registering and you and Dev seem to have your heads well screwed on, to that end what for you's would be the ideal kind of uniform, or anyone else for that matter, what would your ideal uniform be?
    Multicam would ensure wide availability of kit, for instance
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

23. Likes ODIN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have they said what the logic behind some of the changes are yet? The shirt just baffles me and I don't see why they would go from a vomit green T-shirt to a DPM T-shirt and now to an OD Tshirt in the space of a few years?
    Why? Are you making some? If you are asking out of genuine interest than no probs. But if this is market research than it's a lazy attempt.Which is it?
    (sorry.i am cynical auld git of a soldier who only trusts those who earn it.prove me wrong)

Private 2*
    Post Thanks / Like
    Or what about loosening the laws around IDPM so that other companies can make the likes of clothing, web gear ect. so that we have a wide availability of things like dump pouches, (decent and in IDPM) patrol packs, mag pouches ect.

26. Likes sofa liked this post
    Dislikes DeV disliked this post
    Private 2*
    Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of mag pouches that's one thing that has always confused me, for an army whose committees don't like to spend why haven't we moved away from the linear BV yet? surely if one pouch on that is absolutely f***ed then that's a whole vest that need's replaced as opposed to just popping a new pouch on? Although I've noticed more and more people in their own gear now, I seen a picture the other day on flickr of that ex a while back "long journey" or whatever and there was some chap there with not only a chest rig over his PC but he had the crye style wing trousers? thought it was a funny sight

Private 2*
    Post Thanks / Like
    Genuine interest boss But you never know, I'm joining the DF when I finish uni and (assuming they don't just dissolve) I'm hoping to join the RDF for when I head back home (you can gauge where that is from the callsign ) so you know, when I'm running the show I'll take our ideas and make the best uniform we've ever had you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Genuine interest boss But you never know, I'm joining the DF when I finish uni and (assuming they don't just dissolve) I'm hoping to join the RDF for when I head back home (you can gauge where that is from the callsign ) so you know, when I'm running the show I'll take our ideas and make the best uniform we've ever had you know

MOD: Check PM's

Private 2*
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ditto

Post Thanks / Like
    Our current DPM pattern is well suited to the Irish and european environments.No need to change it just to buy into the multicam craze.
    Besides as the saying goes "If everyone is special,no one is".
    The design IS in need of an update as it has been in service 18 years now without only a few "tweaks" along the way.
    The incoming modified DPM items should take care of that.
    My ideal would be from a mostly practical standpoint.
    Standardise the sleeve pockets on all our field dress items to make carriage of Trauma kit SOP no matter what your outer layer is.
    Waterproofs that actually are.
    Standardise velcro on the sleeves for all patches to reduce tailoring.
    Modular and scalable body armour.
    Brown combat boots that can be worn at home and overseas.(better cam and cooler in the heat)
    other than that wadi the proposed changes to the shirt and trouser pockets as they make no sense.

32. Likes DeV, Truck Driver liked this post

Thread Information