Thanks Thanks:  118
Likes Likes:  195
Dislikes Dislikes:  8
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Soldier 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if you have found the same problem Apod, but I have stopped using pen pockets completely on our uniform as too often the contents have been launched accross a vehicle while removing seat belt.
    Never been a problem for me to be honest as the pen pockets on the current shirt and smock are enclosed.

I don't see the logic of removing chest pockets unless you intend it to be worn under body armour. In what situation is it normally expected to be worn?
    One word.
    T**s.
    Shirt redesigned to keep the females happy,and to save money as the old female specific shirt is now gone.
    Shirt was supposed to move to barrack dress only with the advent of UBACS. The new design begs the question as to why you would put UBACS pockets on a shirt that you are NOT supposed to wear under GSBA.
    Infantry Corps - An Lámh Comhrac

"Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

Lt General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Same reason they got rid of the pocket on the old wooly pully then.
    I have no response to that.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

Post Thanks / Like
    New DPM trousers coming on stream.
    Thankfully they fixed the wonky pockets.
    Pockets angled to the rear same as the British PCS trousers.Covered in buttons x2 .Same size buttons as current design pocket buttons as opposed to the smaller shirt style buttons on the prototype.
    Elastic and velcro side comfort adjusters on both sides of the waist under the belt.
    Sewn in elastic at ankles

"Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".

4. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes na grohmití, DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So elasitics In ankles will have to be cut unless an operational pair come online.... ffs
    Sir I cant find my peltors........Private they are on your face

Post Thanks / Like
    Why would you need to cut the elastics?
    From what i can see the days of blousing the trousers with twisties are gone.Remember we are going to a slightly above ankle height boot.The new trousers are designed to come down over the tops of them.If you blouse your trousers the way we do now with the new boots the trousers will ride up over the tops of the boots every time you lift your leg.

7. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes na grohmití liked this post
    Lt General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just as an aside, Is blousing still a thing in militaries internationally? Is it still necessary? Are there more practical options with modern materials and methods?

Dutch Army at Allied Spirit I by 7th Army Training Command, on Flickr
    Last edited by na grohmití; 2nd March 2019 at 10:22.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

9. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes it is.Unless you are SOF. Who always try to be different.And Snipers. Who always try to be SOF

Blousing was traditionally done to prevent your socks getting wet through conduction when moving through wet vegetation and also to prevent creepy crawlies getting easy access to your legs.

Funnily enough if you go back far enough Blousing boots was started by PARAS,the SOF of their day, and regular troops wore their trousers "Straight legs".Hence the Term "Legs" by U.S PARAS to describe all non Paratroopers back in the day.

Seems we are going full circle.

If the "Operational" trousers go on issue they have velcro tabs at the ankles AFAIK so can't be bloused. Interestingly the Aussies omitted that feature on their version and kept elastics to allow for blousing.

11. Thanks Truck Driver, na grohmití thanked for this post
    Likes Truck Driver, X-RayOne liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, I find with the shot terriain and weather of most of our training facilities blueing my trousers keeps the water in the leg of the trouser where as when I don’t (as in always)leave them just sit unclouded it drains and Iv no extra weight. Bar GOH i haven’t blouses my trouser at all in a while.
    Sir I cant find my peltors........Private they are on your face

Post Thanks / Like
    So.Anybody been issued any of the new items yet?
    New boonie hat is mental. Shirt is in the new lighter material.Comfortable to wear if ridiculous looking.Slits in the hem either side to keep the females happy.

BTW: Beware the 2018 t-shirts. If you go for the same size in a 2018 as a 2017,the new ones are very tight fitting.

14. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whats wrong with the boonie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by koppiteal View Post
    Whats wrong with the boonie
    BFO neck curtain that no one will ever use 'cos it looks totally shite. Almost as bad as the lopsided shirts

17. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do they not ask for feedback after trials ffs

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by koppiteal View Post
    Do they not ask for feedback after trials ffs
    WHAT Trials??? I have asked around and have yet to meet anyone involved or be told by anyone who knows any unit that did them.
    Only major trials I know of in recent years were the Brown boot trials,the "Ranger" trousers trials and the NSV DPM trials.

20. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post

BTW: Beware the 2018 t-shirts. If you go for the same size in a 2018 as a 2017,the new ones are very tight fitting.
    Or perhaps you’ve gained a few pounds with maturity

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by paul g View Post
    Or perhaps you’ve gained a few pounds with maturity
    Oh.For sure.But it's not me that's just saying it. Buddy of mine said it to me first(he takes the same size as me) so I tried on one of his.
    Just as he said.
    Bate onto me.

PS: How very dare you call me mature

Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Apod you were going to come back to me on ordering oversize clothing at some point
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Post Thanks / Like
    Just come to mind, speaking of clothes sizes, I was looking at chinos in M&S a few days ago - they had a pair on the rail, waist 42, inside leg 30, style “Slim fitting”...

Carry on
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

25. Likes DeV, Shaqra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    Apod you were going to come back to me on ordering oversize clothing at some point
    My bad.Been up the walls.Completely forgot.
    Watch this space.

Thread Information