Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I like the smock changes, if only it had pit zips! The arm pockets do look a bit too close to elbow height which would make them useless. The existing shirt pockets are kack anyway so losing them is no big deal. Has the rain suit changed at all apod? That new smock will be class in small on someone who should wear a medium!
    Last edited by The real Jack; 17 May 2017, 22:46.
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Arktis have updated their "hot climate shirt" so it's a sensible garment to compare our shirt to

Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• That new shirt is gack
        I knew a simple soldier boy.....
        Who grinned at life in empty joy,
        Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
        And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
        With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
        He put a bullet through his brain.
        And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
        Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
        Sneak home and pray you'll never know
        The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• Pure muck

Comment

• Is there room for Cultaca flashes? :D
            "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
            "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Smock changes look promising.

Detachable hood definitely a plus.......Truck Driver, hood looks like it attaches over stand collar so rain should run off to shoulders and not down your neck! TBH looks like the way the old OG combat hoods worked has made a return.

Not sure about the sleeve pockets though! They seem very low on arm and am I right saying they are only on one sleeve?? a bit pointless if so.
              An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

• Detached hood = lost hood

What is so hard about having a rolled up hood (eg into the collar)?

Isn't the smock supposed to be worn over GSBA? If so why get rid of the chest pockets?
                Are there there vested chest pockets in the new smock?
                The pockets on the smock arms look a bit like those on the sniper smock

The shirt with no pockets make it look like a maternity shirt.

The material across the board looks like that plastic type material all the newer stuff is made from that is way too warm.

Like the look of the tan coloured tshirt but then back your back to "DPM outer"

Comment

• Any word on boots for on island and o/s. Color, spec etc

Comment

• What I don't get, right, a reason for the shirts not having pockets (in my mind) is that they can then be worn with CBA. But you shouldn't wear the shirt with CBA if you have the UBACS (which you should). Then the smock not having top pockets (also looks leaping) could also be so you can wear CBA. But Apod said on here a while ago that you're meant to have the smock on over your CBA anyway, so having top pockets isn't a factor anyway.

So now we're left with a DPM version of something you'd get normally under a suit with a load of flash all over it that looks abysmal. The smocks look like a factory mistake where they forgot to sew on pockets on the top half. Don't get me started on that mental looking sleeve pocket.

What's the point of these changes? The no pockets I mean.
                    I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                    Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                    Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                    And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                    With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                    He put a bullet through his brain.
                    And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                    Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                    Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                    The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buck View Post
                      Some Col wants to leave his/her stamp on the uniform prior to retirement?
                      What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                        Detached hood = lost hood

Basic admin keeping your detached hood from getting lost. Either put it somewhere secure when not in use or leave attached. Design seems to allow hood to be rolled into collar by looks of Apods' collar photo. Rolled up hood on current smock just gets in way all the time, especially the way units seem to want it completely zipped up then rolled.

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                        Isn't the smock supposed to be worn over GSBA? If so why get rid of the chest pockets?
                        Vest still goes over smock! Fiddily getting at pockets with it on.

Agreed!

The material across the board looks like that plastic type material all the newer stuff is made from that is way too warm.
                        Agreed.
                        An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

• Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                          Is there room for Cultaca flashes? :D
                          Always Although the smock has the tri-colour in the same place as the old one so maybe not.My bugbear is that they have gone with a pre sewn tricolour instead of putting velcro panels and blanking plates on the bicep pockets.This simple measure would have reduced the amount of tailoring troops have to do when deploying overseas.By that token why go for a separate FFD pocket? By standardising the pockets on the smock,UBACS(and shirt???) you can standardise the carrying of med kit across all garments.

Detached hood = lost hood
                          Correct.Or people just wont bring them.Both points were made in the 1996 Report into the Combat uniform by the ARW and the attached hood was recommended.

Lazy cnuts. That's what.

Are there there vested chest pockets in the new smock?
                          The pockets on the smock arms look a bit like those on the sniper smock
                          Smock is supposed to be worn over CBA. How we are going to do that now the smock is tighter fitted(spot the darts under the arms?) and the drawcord is on the inside I don't know.There are NO chest pockets.Unless you count the useless inside pocket that you can't access.
                          The lower right arm pocket is a FFD pocket.There is a redundant open two pen pocket on the lower left sleeve.Redundant as the bicep pockets have pen slots in the pocket lid.
                          It's a disaster.Designed to cut costs as the female shirt is discontinued and to keep those wearers happy.I wouldn't have minded the loss of the chest pockets had they migrated them to the sleeves but I guess some senior officer didn't like that idea
                          God I hope not.That material is shite.

Like the look of the tan coloured tshirt but then your back to "DPM outer".
                          That.Along with the other items is a prototype.They have looked for "An agreed shade of green".

Originally posted by Buck View Post
                          What I don't get, right, a reason for the shirts not having pockets (in my mind) is that they can then be worn with CBA. But you shouldn't wear the shirt with CBA if you have the UBACS (which you should). Then the smock not having top pockets (also looks leaping) could also be so you can wear CBA. But Apod said on here a while ago that you're meant to have the smock on over your CBA anyway, so having top pockets isn't a factor anyway.

So now we're left with a DPM version of something you'd get normally under a suit with a load of flash all over it that looks abysmal. The smocks look like a factory mistake where they forgot to sew on pockets on the top half. Don't get me started on that mental looking sleeve pocket.

No pockets because we have a battlevest that precludes access to the smock upper pockets.The shirt changes are because of the reasons I outlined already.Simple as.

Now my tuppence worth.
                          The changes ,form what i can see are being brought about for a few reasons.
                          1/ Cost cutting. Hence the dumping of some really good items(Norgie/gaiters)and the rolling of two items into one(male/female shirt).
                          2/ Parade ground smartness. Hence the "tailored" smock design.The smock adds one useful feature(bicep pockets) but wadis all the other useful ones(integral hood,loose fitting design,exterior drawcord).Going back to the OG t-shirts so you can't dress down as required.
                          3/ Keeping the females happy. Nuff said.
                          4/ Some senior officer who never liked the DPM's design and hankers back to the old OG's "smartness". God help us.

My genuine opinion is that this "upgrade" is going to be a disaster.
                          Last edited by apod; 18 May 2017, 20:24.
                          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Boonie hat neck cord.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	441.1 KB
ID:	698157Click image for larger version

Name:	Boonie hat neck veil.jpg
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	698156Click image for larger version

Name:	DPM trouser pocket detail.jpg
Size:	320.7 KB
ID:	698155
                            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Waterproof suit.jpg
Size:	330.1 KB
ID:	698158Click image for larger version

Name:	Waterproof Jacket pocket detail.jpg
Size:	372.5 KB
ID:	698159Click image for larger version

Name:	Waterproof jacket sleeve detail.jpg
Size:	367.5 KB
ID:	698160

Comment

• Where they are getting the idea from. France(FELIN T4) and Denmark.Only difference is theirs look good.One other thing.Why go for concealed buttons on the pants ala PCS but keep the exposed buttons on the smock pockets??Kinda defeats the purpose(no snag hazard).

Hello, I am posting the FELIN T-4 uniform in his winter version which is also named Tenue de Combat Nouvelle Génération. This example has been produced by LEO M

http://iacmc.forumotion.com/t8891-issue-multicam(see post 19.look familiar/ at least they kept some chest pockets)

Comment

Working...
                                X