This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fantasia View Post
    Of all of the difficulties that exist for people in the DF, brown boots is pretty low down the pecking order. In fact I would say it rates a 1/10 on the radar.

Sort the real problems : pay, retention & continuity in appointments first. Boots? I never gave a fiddlers about which colour boots I have on my feet, in the barracks, the Glen, Africa, Middle East or anywhere else

MOD:Good for you. The Gods make their own importance.If you want to discuss any of those issues you feel passionate about feel free to start threads.Other than that THIS thread is to discuss improvements.or lack of,in the current and future soldiers uniform,hence posters can post on that subject to their heart's content.
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
      That's a fairly negative attitude. IMHO we should have a similar appointment here also.BTW the idea is not unique to them.Common practice in a lot of major Armies.

But that's beside the point I was trying to make anyway.
      Not negative. Just pragmatic. The point I was making is the DoD don't care what they do.. They make their own decisions

Comment

• DoD will always do what they like.Should that prevent us from trying to innovate or at least TRY to emulate international best practice?

Anyway.Going off topic.

Love to know what is going on with the DFCC.Nothing on IKON in ages. Connect newsletter is useless.All we have is rumour and conjecture.lads are going out and spending their hard earned cash on black boots when they might become obsolete and unable to re sell overnight if we go brown. ANY news at all to say which way we are going would be helpful.

So much for improving internal comms.
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

2,000 pairs being delivered soon. EUTM Mali getting them first,then the upcoming UNDOF and UNIFIL rotations.
          Still unsure what model.Haix scout was trialled on island and in the Leb.But the last rotation to Mali were issued Haix Nepals(AKA french Army CCE boot).
          Originally posted by holdfast View Post
          Yes they are to be issued.
          Looks like wrong again. For some reason the UNDOF rotation departed without and UNIFIL will follow suit shortly.

DF Logs and procurement at its best again.

Comment

• Yup.
            I would dearly love to know how their "logic" works .

Comment

Yup.
              I would dearly love to know how their "logic" works .
              Ridiculous situation.

If rumours are to be believed they have sufficient stock in stores but someone along the way is blocking the move. Silly carry on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck View Post
                Ridiculous situation.

If rumours are to be believed they have sufficient stock in stores but someone along the way is blocking the move. Silly carry on.
                I am led to believe that UNDOF was never due to be issued at this time but M.B pushed for them and got nowhere.UNIFIL WERE supposed to get them.Got that from the horses mouth.
                Told recently that sizes are a problem at the moment.
                What stinks is that when they do go on issue one boot is supposedly replacing both Barrack boot (magnum) and OPs boot(haix).And by one boot I mean One pair of the new boots per person. How that is supposed to work is anybodies guess. Lads are still going to be shelling out to buy a second pair just to have a pair for barracks and one for the field.

Ridiculous.

Comment

• Hopefully the troops who wear steel toe cap boots will be allowed continue to wear the black versions, until a brown version is sourced, even if it causes uniformity issues..

Comment

• Originally posted by Exile View Post
                    Hopefully the troops who wear steel toe cap boots will be allowed continue to wear the black versions, until a brown version is sourced, even if it causes uniformity issues..
                    ACTUALLY.............

There is a new device being trialled that clips on over the toecap of the normal boot for those who need the extra protection. The DF is moving away from having to buy multiple different types of boot. AFAIK in future we will just be issued a pair of Linkers for ceremonial and a Pair of Haix Scouts for everything else. No more safe toe boots being bought.

As an aside has anybody,anywhere seen hide nor hair of any of the new DPM items going on issue?

I would have thought they would have started coming through by now(they can keep the new shirt.Puke)
                    Last edited by apod; 23 April 2018, 21:10.

Comment

ACTUALLY.............

There is a new device being trialled that clips on over the toecap of the normal boot for those who need the extra protection. The DF is moving away from having to buy multiple different types of boot. AFAIK in future we will just be issued a pair of Linkers for ceremonial and a Pair of Haix Scouts for everything else. No more safe toe boots being bought.

As an aside has anybody,anywhere seen hide nor hair of any of the new DPM items going on issue?

I would have thought they would have started coming through by now(they can keep the new shirt.Puke)
                      I’m told we have those type of overshoes in work (haven’t seen them myself), but an excellent idea

I’ve seen someone wearing the new issue smock.... whole design stupid imho

Comment

• I’ve seen someone wearing the new issue smock.... whole design stupid imho
                        Until you factor in the smock has been future-proofed to be worn under the future GSBA.(mandarin collar,tighter fit,no chest pockets)

Was that recently? Anybody see the new trousers yet?

Comment

ACTUALLY.............

I read your discription of the boots, and this is all I can think of...
                          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Until you factor in the smock has been future-proofed to be worn under the future GSBA.(mandarin collar,tighter fit,no chest pockets)

Was that recently? Anybody see the new trousers yet?
                            seen about 2 weeks ago

It still looks all wrong

Comment

ACTUALLY.............

Interesting. I've seen those in industry for short term site visitors on engineering sites. Id be worried about two things with that solution.

1. The durability of the polymer fastener components in a mixed tactical/site work environment and
                              2. They generally use aluminium or steel in the toe cap and having an external metallic sparking surface when toe protection is required while simultaneously working with explosives would have safety implications.

Comment

• Finally issued some of the new T-shirts recently.A LOT more comfortable to wear and pong free thank god. Retrograde move on removing the Flag and Rank velcro.Pain in the rectum for the lads overseas who are now back to having to get their T-shirts tailored again for day to day use in Camp.

One thing I did notice was the drying time after washing has increased when compared to the DPM version.Different material I know but have we sorted one problem by creating another? Flash burns from IED's are deadly but so is Hypothermia!!

Comment

Working...
                                X