X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah ok. Cheers Apod

Comment

• Situation : You are RDF and get to choose a single item to be added to the RDF Scale of Permanent Issue to New Recruits . What do you choose ? ( No ordnance , so not GSBA,helmet , battlevest, or IPLCS , respirator etc )

Me : Raingear
      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• You are asking the wrong question as recruits are the one group LEAST likely to have anything new authorised as their is the constant fear they wont come back after their first FTT AKA paycheck.

Perhaps rephrase to Trained soldier table?

In that case (were I RDF) if I had to pick one item it would be Operational boots.
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• I can't believe, in Ireland's climate, that wet weather gear is not on personal issue. On H&S grounds if nothing else, as getting soaking wet would contribute in no small way to the risk of hypothermia, regardless of the time of the year. Or is the argument that the RDF never go outdoors under any circumstances?
          Last edited by Flamingo; 23 February 2018, 17:03.
          'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
          'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
          Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
          He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
          http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• Id say operational boots.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
              I can't believe, in Ireland's climate, that wet weather gear is not on personal issue. On H&S grounds if nothing else, as getting soaking wet would contribute in no small way to the risk of hypothermia, regardless of the time of the year. Or is the argument that the RDF never go outdoors under any circumstances?
              All PDF get waterproofs as personal issue.
              RDF get waterproof gear as a pool issue.When and if required.
              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                All PDF get waterproofs as personal issue.
                RDF get waterproof gear as a pool issue.When and if required.
                So it never rains on the RDF, or do exercises get cancelled if the forecast is rain with showery intervals?

I can' t see how well having wet weather gear on pool issue would work, putting on the damp muddy kit that some minger had on the previous weekend doesn't sound ideal, not to mention the faff of having to draw and return to stores every time there is something that involves going outside.

Or does it work better than I imagine?

Comment

• Pool issue is bollox, unless all your unit are a standard size.
                  In the real world this is not the case.
                  If you have a unit where you have the normal mix of short female privates, and extremely tall male ones, pool issue raingear won't work. The smallies will look ridiculous, and be unable to do the basic military tasks as they try to pind their hands at the end of the sleeves so they can pick up the hem of the raingear round their knees to toll up the legs of the trousers.
                  Meanwhile the tall fella has a dry core, but wet extremities, as the rain slowly soaks up his wet sleeves.
                  For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Don't shoot the messenger.Not defending the practice. Just stating the fact of what the policy is now.
                    Having a pop at me won't change it.
                    Soyourself.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                      Don't shoot the messenger.Not defending the practice. Just stating the fact of what the policy is now.
                      Having a pop at me won't change it.
                      Soyourself.
                      It wasn’t intended as a pop, more incredulity at the practice! ????

Comment

• I would go with Trellheim on the wetgear
                        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Has there been any update regarding the issue of brown boots for either UNDOF or UNFIL in the coming months?

Comment

• Yes they are to be issued.

Comment

• 2,000 pairs being delivered soon. EUTM Mali getting them first,then the upcoming UNDOF and UNIFIL rotations.
                              Still unsure what model.Haix scout was trialled on island and in the Leb.But the last rotation to Mali were issued Haix Nepals(AKA french Army CCE boot).

Comment

• @Apod, what do you think the logic is for the potential widespread rollout of brown boots (potentially at home) and overseas.

Comment

Working...
                                X