Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't understand the positioning of the first aid field dressing on the arm. Your arm is one of the first limbs you lose in an explosion. That's why they used to have a pocket on the trousers of the old green uniform for it beside the fly. Most of us used it to keep our fags and lighter in but it made more sense as you were more likely to be intact around that part of your body. If you weren't you are not going to make it anyway. The pocket on the current smock also always snags with the sling of the rifle when you're taking it off.
    I'm old enough to remember the old green uniform and the hood was always binned as it was useless. I think the current smock could do with a tie for rolling up the hood and keeping it out of the way. I have a civvie Spray-away jacket that has this feature and its very handy. The old Brit desert smocks had a similar feature. It's simple and it works and looks smart.
    The reason the smock was originally loose was for putting used mag's into during a fire fight when we had the PLCE as there was no mag dump sack back then. It also allowed you to wear extra layers to keep warm. I was in the 29th BN on the border and we wore more layers than a onion to keep warm during the winter when on the road with the guards or on OP's for hours on end.
    Getting rid of the norgie is madness. Regardless if it gets wet or not it keeps you warm. The same can't be said for the snugpak which is also too short. The original design called for the jacket to be used with trousers made of the same material. Needless to say they won't be bought.
    The pockets on the trousers should be higher up the thigh. I'm a short arse and the pockets were always level with my knee so if I had stuff in them it was always hard to knell, I also think the knee pads should be integrated into the trousers the same as a Snickers work pair. A simple zip pocket around the knee so you can pop them in and zip it up when going out on the ground.

See the link below for a French company selling a smock very close to our current issue.

Veste de treillis militaire Guerilla longue Fighter A10 EQUIPMENT Cam CE. Modèle classique Smoke en tissu Ripstop 5.0 ultra-résistant avec coutures renforcées.

Comment

• Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
      I'm not sure if they're personal to the wearer or come along with the car but a lot of the crewman helmets in the mowags overseas in friends photos from their trip are in shocking condition. The entire finish gone on the helmet, god knows what the rest of it is like. They're in worse condition than the shitty ex pdf horse riding helmets that the RDF/FCA used till "single force concept"
      You'd certainly HOPE they are personal to the wearer - it IS workplace PPE after all
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Doubtful. Most were associated with the vehicle. You can get liners if you believe there may be a hygene risk. Having them personal issue is not cost effective, given the small numbers in service.
        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• It may be part of a wider problem in the Defence Forces. Lack of personnel / quadruple jobbing means less oversight on Maintenace being carried out as well as fewer people/time to do the actaul maintenace. That and the helmets are expensive and there probably ain't a whole lot of money or interest to replace them. The lack of oversight means that any negligent damage may not be being followed up on.

Less personnel means less resupply so parts availability may be an issue.

When you lose 10-15% of your staff I means that you're losing 20-30% if not more of your capability

"All this has happened before and will happen again" - peltors(hearing loss) / respirators (AC toxins) / Larium etc etc.
          Last edited by TangoSierra; 7 June 2017, 13:13.

Comment

• may be part of a wider problem in the Defence Forces. Lack of personnel / quadruple jobbing means less oversight on Maintenace being carried out as well as fewer people/time to do the actaul maintenace. That and the helmets are expensive and there probably ain't a whole lot of money or interest to replace them. The lack of oversight means that any negligent damage may not be being followed up on.

My first two units in the DF I just thought it was an FCA thing but my last two units ( not RDF ) show a huge variance in standards. Like +1000 to the above post.
            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• I don't understand the positioning of the first aid field dressing on the arm. Your arm is one of the first limbs you lose in an explosion.
              Depends on the explosion.The SOP these days in most armies is an FFD and CAT in both bicep pockets.You loose the use of one arm you can self aid with the other.the FFD pocket on the current smock is a '90's design but is soon to be wadied with the new design.
              That's why they used to have a pocket on the trousers of the old green uniform for it beside the fly.
              So does the current DPM trousers.Theory being that when the smock isn't worn you carry your FFD there.Snag is that the new type FFD is much larger and it is very uncomfortable to carry it in that pocket.So no one uses it.I only ever used it for my dogtags when overseas.The new trousers wont have that pocket anymore.

Most of us used it to keep our fags and lighter in but it made more sense as you were more likely to be intact around that part of your body. If you weren't you are not going to make it anyway.
              Debatable with the modern advances in Medical equipment and training. CELOX,CAT's and Izzy dressings have changed the game.
              The pocket on the current smock also always snags with the sling of the rifle when you're taking it off.
              Not true.
              I'm old enough to remember the old green uniform and the hood was always binned as it was useless. I think the current smock could do with a tie for rolling up the hood and keeping it out of the way. I have a civvie Spray-away jacket that has this feature and its very handy. The old Brit desert smocks had a similar feature. It's simple and it works and looks smart.
              I'm old enough to agree with you on that.I don't ever remember a single occasion we wore the hood on the old OG's as it was useless.I was delighted when the DPM smock came out.Long enough to cover your backside when sitting on cold,wet ground and a hood that covered the helmet when you were sitting/lying in an ambush position or standing in the street on the banks and it started piddling.Sometimes it isn't practical to put on waterproofs.The old smock was ideal in those situations.Since 2010 the smock has a velcro tab to enable hood rolling.It ties the hood away when not in use.Keeps pine needles out of the hood when traversing forestry blocks and looks smart.probably why paddy the pig won't use it.
              Last edited by apod; 7 June 2017, 20:17.
              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Anybody catch a glimpse of any new items being worn around the place?
                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                  Anybody catch a glimpse of any new items being worn around the place?
                  Not so far...
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Anybody catch a glimpse of any new items being worn around the place?
                    I saw the new driflo last week... It actually looks like a good bit of kit. I havent seen any DPM kit yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fridge Magnet View Post
                      I saw the new driflo last week... It actually looks like a good bit of kit. I havent seen any DPM kit yet.
                      Yeah.I believe they are in stores down south also but not being issued out until the DPM ones are all gone.

Comment

Yeah.I believe they are in stores down south also but not being issued out until the DPM ones are all gone.
                        Typical.

Wont issue it until enough people have been issued an item of clothing that is absolutely shite.

Comment

• Have a look in OCES (I think it's called). Pallets of clothing that there are shortages of in the formations because there is no record of them being demanded (but there being none stock weren't issued). Hopefully the e-245B will aid that.

There's quite a good chance that the "new" shirt you get from stores is from the previous contract and has been on a pallet in OCES for at least a year

Comment

• I was issued two "new" shirts recently.
                            2012 was the year of manufacture.

Comment

Well, turns out what I saw wasn't the new driflo.

They're on issue in my location now... Plain green, no Ireland patch or velcro tab for rank markings.

New tracksuits are on issue as well, a drastic improvement on the last one.

Comment

• Well, turns out what I saw wasn't the new driflo.

They're on issue in my location now... Plain green, no Ireland patch or velcro tab for rank markings.
                                You 100% on that? The tender stated that both were required.

Comment

Working...
                                X