Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have they said what the logic behind some of the changes are yet? The shirt just baffles me and I don't see why they would go from a vomit green T-shirt to a DPM T-shirt and now to an OD Tshirt in the space of a few years?

Comment

• The green t-shirt was good imho but obviously it wasn't technical type

The green technical tshirt is better imho but it will melt in a fire

The DPM tshirt was to allow the DPM outer which made sense but it's way too heavy and warm and will melt

The brown type wicking tshirt is more tactical but less uniform not sure about the heat of it

Comment

• Technical T-shirt? what was that? I thought it was just the old Dri-Flo's then the DPM t-shirt and now these new OD ones I've seen in a few pics of new rec. plns?

Comment

• Technical is another word for driflo

Comment

• Ah right, following you now Is the new uniform a complete wash and waste of money or is there some good points?

Comment

• Have they said what the logic behind some of the changes are yet?
              Not publicly.But the new t-shirts are flame resistant so the C-IED working group have had a hand in that.The female rep to the DFCC has had a hand in the redesign of the shirt with obvious repurcussions in it's design.
              Also spending overruns on clothing in 2016 due to the 1916 commemorations have forced a cut costs mentality to the new clothing designs and contract.

Originally posted by BorderBandit View Post
              Technical T-shirt? what was that? I thought it was just the old Dri-Flo's then the DPM t-shirt and now these new OD ones I've seen in a few pics of new rec. plns?
              Before the DRIFLO's went on issue circa 03-04 there was a plain cotton bottle green t-shirt issued,originally made by fruit of the loom.They were no good as they retained sweat and were dangerous as a result.

Ah right, following you now Is the new uniform a complete wash and waste of money or is there some good points?
              We will have to wait and see.From looking at the designs there are a few good features and some seriously stupid ones.
              Last edited by apod; 20 October 2017, 10:44.
              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Thank you Apod I've been skulking around the forums many moons now before registering and you and Dev seem to have your heads well screwed on, to that end what for you's would be the ideal kind of uniform, or anyone else for that matter, what would your ideal uniform be?

Comment

• Originally posted by BorderBandit View Post
                  Thank you Apod I've been skulking around the forums many moons now before registering and you and Dev seem to have your heads well screwed on, to that end what for you's would be the ideal kind of uniform, or anyone else for that matter, what would your ideal uniform be?
                  Multicam would ensure wide availability of kit, for instance
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Have they said what the logic behind some of the changes are yet? The shirt just baffles me and I don't see why they would go from a vomit green T-shirt to a DPM T-shirt and now to an OD Tshirt in the space of a few years?
                    Technical T-shirt? what was that? I thought it was just the old Dri-Flo's then the DPM t-shirt and now these new OD ones I've seen in a few pics of new rec. plns?
                    Thank you Apod I've been skulking around the forums many moons now before registering and you and Dev seem to have your heads well screwed on, to that end what for you's would be the ideal kind of uniform, or anyone else for that matter, what would your ideal uniform be?
                    Why? Are you making some? If you are asking out of genuine interest than no probs. But if this is market research than it's a lazy attempt.Which is it?
                    (sorry.i am cynical auld git of a soldier who only trusts those who earn it.prove me wrong)
                    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Or what about loosening the laws around IDPM so that other companies can make the likes of clothing, web gear ect. so that we have a wide availability of things like dump pouches, (decent and in IDPM) patrol packs, mag pouches ect.

Comment

• Speaking of mag pouches that's one thing that has always confused me, for an army whose committees don't like to spend why haven't we moved away from the linear BV yet? surely if one pouch on that is absolutely f***ed then that's a whole vest that need's replaced as opposed to just popping a new pouch on? Although I've noticed more and more people in their own gear now, I seen a picture the other day on flickr of that ex a while back "long journey" or whatever and there was some chap there with not only a chest rig over his PC but he had the crye style wing trousers? thought it was a funny sight

Comment

• Genuine interest boss But you never know, I'm joining the DF when I finish uni and (assuming they don't just dissolve) I'm hoping to join the RDF for when I head back home (you can gauge where that is from the callsign ) so you know, when I'm running the show I'll take our ideas and make the best uniform we've ever had you know

Comment

Have they said what the logic behind some of the changes are yet? The shirt just baffles me and I don't see why they would go from a vomit green T-shirt to a DPM T-shirt and now to an OD Tshirt in the space of a few years?
                            Ah right, following you now Is the new uniform a complete wash and waste of money or is there some good points?
                            Genuine interest boss But you never know, I'm joining the DF when I finish uni and (assuming they don't just dissolve) I'm hoping to join the RDF for when I head back home (you can gauge where that is from the callsign ) so you know, when I'm running the show I'll take our ideas and make the best uniform we've ever had you know

MOD: Check PM's

Comment

• Ditto

Comment

• Our current DPM pattern is well suited to the Irish and european environments.No need to change it just to buy into the multicam craze.
                                Besides as the saying goes "If everyone is special,no one is".
                                The design IS in need of an update as it has been in service 18 years now without only a few "tweaks" along the way.
                                The incoming modified DPM items should take care of that.
                                My ideal would be from a mostly practical standpoint.
                                Standardise the sleeve pockets on all our field dress items to make carriage of Trauma kit SOP no matter what your outer layer is.
                                Waterproofs that actually are.
                                Standardise velcro on the sleeves for all patches to reduce tailoring.
                                Modular and scalable body armour.
                                Brown combat boots that can be worn at home and overseas.(better cam and cooler in the heat)
                                other than that wadi the proposed changes to the shirt and trouser pockets as they make no sense.

Comment

Working...
                                X