Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMHO the IPDPM is fine, maybe a bit dark but otherwise fine. The workmanship can be questionable, I'm not aware of issues with the quality of the material.

It issue for me is the design and suitability for intended purpose

Comment

• It's not the pattern itself I've wondered about it's just before I joined the forum I remember reading through the soldier 2010 thread one day and the gist of it seemed to be that everything was moved away from being operation friendly to being suited more for parade and stuff, I agree with what Apod said about standardising the first aid carriage by giving them the same pockets (ubac style I'm guessing??)

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
        Our current DPM pattern is well suited to the Irish and european environments.No need to change it just to buy into the multicam craze.
        Besides as the saying goes "If everyone is special,no one is".
        The design IS in need of an update as it has been in service 18 years now without only a few "tweaks" along the way.
        The incoming modified DPM items should take care of that.
        My ideal would be from a mostly practical standpoint.
        Standardise the sleeve pockets on all our field dress items to make carriage of Trauma kit SOP no matter what your outer layer is.
        Waterproofs that actually are.
        Standardise velcro on the sleeves for all patches to reduce tailoring.
        Modular and scalable body armour.
        Brown combat boots that can be worn at home and overseas.(better cam and cooler in the heat)
        other than that wadi the proposed changes to the shirt and trouser pockets as they make no sense.
        Brown brown like the BA's boots or like tan brown like the ones our lads get given for arid deployments?

Comment

• Look at the pictures posted of the new style smock and the UBACS. They both have angled sleeve pockets.
          The smock has omitted the blanking plates and velcro on the pockets which is a mistake .
          Now compare that to the shirt,which will now only have a semi useful pen pocket on the left sleeve and nothing else.All to keep the office boys and females happy.
          The new waterproofs have a sleeve pocket on each sleeve but they are not the same design as the UBAC/smock and are of limited use.
          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• That makes no sense? It's like it's designed by several committees for several different purposes?? surely the lack of commonality means we actually end up spending more than saving?

Comment

• Originally posted by BorderBandit View Post
              Brown brown like the BA's boots or like tan brown like the ones our lads get given for arid deployments?
              MoD brown. Already on issue with our lads in Mali.
              Desert tan boots no longer on issue.
              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• So will this be the withdrawal of the black boots now?

Comment

• Originally posted by BorderBandit View Post
                  So will this be the withdrawal of the black boots now?
                  That's what is being mooted.
                  Brown boots on trial at the moment.No word yet on if they will just be for field use or Bks wear also.

Comment

• Got my hands on the new FR UBACS the other day.
                    The sleeve material is ripstop and feels waaaaaay heavier than the current items sleeves.Also anecdotally both this items and the new t-shirts are supposedly warmer than the current DPM ones.

On another note the boot trials are due to finish soon with a view to equipping next summers rotations to UNIFIL and UNDOF to start.

Comment

• Warmer than the DPM driflos etc?

Comment

• Supposedly, but yet more comfortable and breathable. Funny one I know.
                        I will wait out until I get new kit next year before giving my own opinion.
                        I am still interested to see if we are going brown across the board RE Boots. Gonna make my Black Lowas obsolete overnight if we do.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                          Supposedly, but yet more comfortable and breathable. Funny one I know.
                          I will wait out until I get new kit next year before giving my own opinion.
                          I am still interested to see if we are going brown across the board RE Boots. Gonna make my Black Lowas obsolete overnight if we do.
                          A pair of lowas is never a bad thing to have knocking around!
                          I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                          Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                          Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                          And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                          With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                          He put a bullet through his brain.
                          And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                          Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                          Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                          The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• Only if you are allowed wear them!

Comment

• Civvy street! Hiking, camping, walking, etc.
                              I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                              Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                              Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                              And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                              With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                              He put a bullet through his brain.
                              And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                              Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                              Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                              The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• So.2018 here we are.I wonder how long it's gonna be before we see people wearing the new style kit?

Comment

Working...
                                X