Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had the Felin suit in my hands.Over complicated for general issue to our lads.Keep it simple stupid.
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

What's the craic with the above arse pockets on the smock?
      I knew a simple soldier boy.....
      Who grinned at life in empty joy,
      Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
      And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
      With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
      He put a bullet through his brain.
      And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
      Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
      Sneak home and pray you'll never know
      The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

The Old OG combat jacket had (internal)arse pockets on them, and became the ideal place to store all manner of noms, and personal admin stuff. Given the amount of time an infantryman spends prone on their stomach, the days of massive internal and external chest pockets must be gone.
        Interesting start point.
        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

The OG pockets were on the inside and hence never used. I tried to several times and it never worked out
          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
            The OG pockets were on the inside and hence never used. I tried to several times and it never worked out
            Everything bar two features of the old Combat jacket was useless.
            The zipped chest pockets and the large rear poachers pocket that the jacket could fold into to form a handy pillow.
            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by smegers View Post
              The under arm zips are the job for ventilation.
              Need to ventilation, otherwise the damp/cold will wick the heat out of you when you stop moving

Comment

Originally posted by Buck View Post
                First featured on Arktis Sniper smocks

Comment

Got a Felin T4 smock off a French chap while I was overseas... Great bit of kit.

We'll never go for something like that on general issue... Too many people who never actual do any ground work would be giving out that it doesn't look good while on the square or some such nonsense.

Comment

Everything bar two features of the old Combat jacket was useless.
                    The zipped chest pockets and the large rear poachers pocket that the jacket could fold into to form a handy pillow.
                    That was the new OG jacket ! , the old OG smock had pockets like our current smocks. Both of them were shite when it rained or you sweated

Also since back then FCA were not issued smocks technically we could not wear them ( like barrack jackets but the PAs enforced taking them off FCA men at the barrack gate ) and so we had to do tactics in SD1 so seeing this thread is a massive bonus..

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                      I have had the Felin suit in my hands.Over complicated for general issue to our lads.Keep it simple stupid.
                      Whats your thinking behind that Apod?
                      Bearing in mind I haven't laid hands on one, it seems no different to a well designed technical mountaineering jacket, etc. Plenty of lads can use them in their civvy time perfectly well.

Plus a detachable hood, pit zips and elbow pads that will actually stay in place. Whats not to like?

Handy for keeping soft items on person all the time. Hood from the jacket, rain gear, norgie, etc.
                      An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

I'm going to say it out loud, and am happy to be criticised for it.
                        I never liked the hood on the current smock. Tactically I saw no use for it as on the ground the soldier was going to wear helmet or bush hat. In my experience it became a way for people to go about without headgear and not be noticed. If worn on duty it reduced situational awareness greatly. Ideally the hood should have rolled up under a collar. A removable hood is just something else that is going to be lost.
                        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                          I'm going to say it out loud, and am happy to be criticised for it.
                          I never liked the hood on the current smock. Tactically I saw no use for it as on the ground the soldier was going to wear helmet or bush hat. In my experience it became a way for people to go about without headgear and not be noticed. If worn on duty it reduced situational awareness greatly. Ideally the hood should have rolled up under a collar. A removable hood is just something else that is going to be lost.
                          Latest pattern DPM smock has a rollable / foldable hood AFAIR
                          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

He's right though. The times a smock hood will be used is so low its not worth it - you've either got a helmet on in the field or if you're on stag in the pissing rain you can't use it as sit awareness drops to a porthole , or raingear will do the job. I speak for myself. Others who go into the field more often may differ.

Comment

Brown Magnums on sale in KT-max Swords 40euro
                              Last edited by sofa; 2 January 2017, 20:31.

Comment

Whats your thinking behind that Apod?
                                The fact that,despite being in service since 2007,most lads I know can't figure out how to use the various straps on the Bergen or how to fit the belt in the Battlevest properly. Also,despite being in service since 2010 only two people I know have figured out what the velcro strap inside the collar of the smock is for.

Let's face it.Most of our lads are either too lazy or apathetic to bother finding out how things work properly and will just wear something as it's handed out from stores.Now the system is to blame also as we don't do educating our troops on new items of personal equipment well.Yes a TI might be drawn up but unless a training course is mandatory and the info doesn't get diluted then they tend to slip through the cracks.The amount of lads who haven't a clue how to properly fit the new sling or how to employ it is ridiculous for example.
                                No.The more complicated you make an item for the average grunt the more of a bag of ham they are going to be IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                                X