Thanks Thanks:  69
Likes Likes:  100
Dislikes Dislikes:  5
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Soldier 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the points of the intro of DPM was having a combined combat/barrack dress.

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    And then they started adding bits that were only to be worn in barracks or in a combat environment. But not both.
    Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud. You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you?

Non Temetis Messor The real Jack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Getting seyntex to make "ranger" pants like arktis make for the wing to match the ubacs would effectively make a combat dress, just issue to inf, cav etc, bods on courses and the overseas crew. Leave the rest of the uniform as the mincing around the barracks rig with the barracks jacket.
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

4. Likes Fridge Magnet liked this post
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any info on the boots, I hate issue ones and want to buy new boots. But are they staying with black or going brown

Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    At this rate, I'm expecting the following headline in the Waterford Whisper News - "DF propose 10,000 different uniforms for its 10,000 members"

7. Likes DeV, TangoSierra, Buck, F_M liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by holdfast View Post
    Any info on the boots, I hate issue ones and want to buy new boots. But are they staying with black or going brown
    Was told recently "brown is the word"
    Am thinking the MOU with our colleagues across the water is pushing this.
    Isn't the Haix Tibet (or a version of it) one of the five available issue boot types to the British Armed Forces?

As it is, a soft Haix boot is now on issue for overseas (well at least one of the lads at my callsign got a set anyway)
    Last edited by Truck Driver; 26th May 2017 at 22:26.
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

9. Thanks holdfast thanked for this post
    Likes DeV, holdfast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The new Dress Codes have gone live on IKON. DCoS SP,J1 page.
    RSM Kitchener's swan song before he hangs up his beloved cane and becomes the full time poet of the drop short corps.

Anyway.Basically they are visual depictions of each items of dress across all services and corps and how and when they should be worn.What I want to know is how official they are IE Will wear that way as opposed to should.Moot point as they are obsolete already in some cases. Norgie being withdrawn for example.
    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

11. Thanks na grohmití, Truck Driver thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    RSM Kitchener's swan song before he hangs up his beloved cane and becomes the full time poet of the drop short corps.

Anyway.Basically they are visual depictions of each items of dress across all services and corps and how and when they should be worn.What I want to know is how official they are IE Will wear that way as opposed to should.Moot point as they are obsolete already in some cases. Norgie being withdrawn for example.
    Not before time. Remember Trellheim making this very point that this should be done ages ago. Maybe he has a contact in J1 to float the suggestion to?
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Post Thanks / Like

Are they in line with the regs?

Eg the cane

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like

Is he still serving? Thought he retired ages ago.
    Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud. You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Are they in line with the regs?

Eg the cane
    No mention of that item.So yes.

Yes he is still in.Due out this year AFAIK.
    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".

16. Thanks DeV, na grohmití thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    New Combat gloves being trialled on next Infantry Platoon Sgts course. Due to go on issue alongside the current Waterproof gloves.

18. Likes sofa liked this post
    Sergeant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Next Spike Milligan you say? Well if he's a gun bunny then no doubt he is a gentleman of intellect sound. Please send me on his latest verse on the beauty of double base* propellant combustion in the morning.

*Haters will say it's triple base

Non Temetis Messor The real Jack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure if they're personal to the wearer or come along with the car but a lot of the crewman helmets in the mowags overseas in friends photos from their trip are in shocking condition. The entire finish gone on the helmet, god knows what the rest of it is like. They're in worse condition than the shitty ex pdf horse riding helmets that the RDF/FCA used till "single force concept"
    Last edited by The real Jack; 6th June 2017 at 19:41.
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The real Jack View Post
    I'm not sure if they're personal to the wearer or come along with the car but a lot of the crewman helmets in the mowags overseas in friends photos from their trip are in shocking condition. The entire finish gone on the helmet, god knows what the rest of it is like. They're in worse condition than the shitty ex pdf horse riding helmets that the RDF/FCA used till "single force concept"
    Christ those lids were absolutely leaping.
    I knew a simple soldier boy.....
    Who grinned at life in empty joy,
    Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
    And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
    With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
    He put a bullet through his brain.
    And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
    Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
    Sneak home and pray you'll never know
    The hell where youth and laughter go.

Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't understand the positioning of the first aid field dressing on the arm. Your arm is one of the first limbs you lose in an explosion. That's why they used to have a pocket on the trousers of the old green uniform for it beside the fly. Most of us used it to keep our fags and lighter in but it made more sense as you were more likely to be intact around that part of your body. If you weren't you are not going to make it anyway. The pocket on the current smock also always snags with the sling of the rifle when you're taking it off.
    I'm old enough to remember the old green uniform and the hood was always binned as it was useless. I think the current smock could do with a tie for rolling up the hood and keeping it out of the way. I have a civvie Spray-away jacket that has this feature and its very handy. The old Brit desert smocks had a similar feature. It's simple and it works and looks smart.
    The reason the smock was originally loose was for putting used mag's into during a fire fight when we had the PLCE as there was no mag dump sack back then. It also allowed you to wear extra layers to keep warm. I was in the 29th BN on the border and we wore more layers than a onion to keep warm during the winter when on the road with the guards or on OP's for hours on end.
    Getting rid of the norgie is madness. Regardless if it gets wet or not it keeps you warm. The same can't be said for the snugpak which is also too short. The original design called for the jacket to be used with trousers made of the same material. Needless to say they won't be bought.
    The pockets on the trousers should be higher up the thigh. I'm a short arse and the pockets were always level with my knee so if I had stuff in them it was always hard to knell, I also think the knee pads should be integrated into the trousers the same as a Snickers work pair. A simple zip pocket around the knee so you can pop them in and zip it up when going out on the ground.

See the link below for a French company selling a smock very close to our current issue.

http://www.qgstore.fr/veste-de-treil...am-ce-350.html

23. Likes Truck Driver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The real Jack View Post
    You'd certainly HOPE they are personal to the wearer - it IS workplace PPE after all

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Doubtful. Most were associated with the vehicle. You can get liners if you believe there may be a hygene risk. Having them personal issue is not cost effective, given the small numbers in service.

BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    It may be part of a wider problem in the Defence Forces. Lack of personnel / quadruple jobbing means less oversight on Maintenace being carried out as well as fewer people/time to do the actaul maintenace. That and the helmets are expensive and there probably ain't a whole lot of money or interest to replace them. The lack of oversight means that any negligent damage may not be being followed up on.

Less personnel means less resupply so parts availability may be an issue.

When you lose 10-15% of your staff I means that you're losing 20-30% if not more of your capability

"All this has happened before and will happen again" - peltors(hearing loss) / respirators (AC toxins) / Larium etc etc.
    Last edited by TangoSierra; 7th June 2017 at 13:13.

27. Likes trellheim liked this post
    Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    may be part of a wider problem in the Defence Forces. Lack of personnel / quadruple jobbing means less oversight on Maintenace being carried out as well as fewer people/time to do the actaul maintenace. That and the helmets are expensive and there probably ain't a whole lot of money or interest to replace them. The lack of oversight means that any negligent damage may not be being followed up on.

My first two units in the DF I just thought it was an FCA thing but my last two units ( not RDF ) show a huge variance in standards. Like +1000 to the above post.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't understand the positioning of the first aid field dressing on the arm. Your arm is one of the first limbs you lose in an explosion.
    Depends on the explosion.The SOP these days in most armies is an FFD and CAT in both bicep pockets.You loose the use of one arm you can self aid with the other.the FFD pocket on the current smock is a '90's design but is soon to be wadied with the new design.
    That's why they used to have a pocket on the trousers of the old green uniform for it beside the fly.
    So does the current DPM trousers.Theory being that when the smock isn't worn you carry your FFD there.Snag is that the new type FFD is much larger and it is very uncomfortable to carry it in that pocket.So no one uses it.I only ever used it for my dogtags when overseas.The new trousers wont have that pocket anymore.

Most of us used it to keep our fags and lighter in but it made more sense as you were more likely to be intact around that part of your body. If you weren't you are not going to make it anyway.
    Debatable with the modern advances in Medical equipment and training. CELOX,CAT's and Izzy dressings have changed the game.
    The pocket on the current smock also always snags with the sling of the rifle when you're taking it off.
    Not true.
    I'm old enough to remember the old green uniform and the hood was always binned as it was useless. I think the current smock could do with a tie for rolling up the hood and keeping it out of the way. I have a civvie Spray-away jacket that has this feature and its very handy. The old Brit desert smocks had a similar feature. It's simple and it works and looks smart.
    I'm old enough to agree with you on that.I don't ever remember a single occasion we wore the hood on the old OG's as it was useless.I was delighted when the DPM smock came out.Long enough to cover your backside when sitting on cold,wet ground and a hood that covered the helmet when you were sitting/lying in an ambush position or standing in the street on the banks and it started piddling.Sometimes it isn't practical to put on waterproofs.The old smock was ideal in those situations.Since 2010 the smock has a velcro tab to enable hood rolling.It ties the hood away when not in use.Keeps pine needles out of the hood when traversing forestry blocks and looks smart.probably why paddy the pig won't use it.
    Last edited by apod; 7th June 2017 at 20:17.

30. Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anybody catch a glimpse of any new items being worn around the place?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not so far...

BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    I saw the new driflo last week... It actually looks like a good bit of kit. I havent seen any DPM kit yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fridge Magnet View Post
    I saw the new driflo last week... It actually looks like a good bit of kit. I havent seen any DPM kit yet.
    Yeah.I believe they are in stores down south also but not being issued out until the DPM ones are all gone.

Thread Information