AC & NS personnel overseas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC & NS personnel overseas

Talking about overseas as in the tradition ground based on eg IRISHFINBATT with UNIFIL

Is there the same contractual obligation on members of the NS & AC to serve overseas to extend etc the contracts?

I'm not sure about the NS but it is the case for the AC as far as I'm aware.

It's an absurd policy and downright dangerous to have people serving in Infantry roles who aren't part of the Infantry Corps.

Comment

TBH my thinking was there are quite a high number on the Leb trip compared to the size of the services and the number of vacancies they have

Comment

Originally posted by Fridge Magnet View Post
        I'm not sure about the NS but it is the case for the AC as far as I'm aware.

It's an absurd policy and downright dangerous to have people serving in Infantry roles who aren't part of the Infantry Corps.
        Especially so when infantry trained RDF cant go.

Comment

NS and AC would still have had more infantry training than RDF bods even before pre deployment training danno get real.
          Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
            NS and AC would still have had more infantry training than RDF bods even before pre deployment training danno get real.
            Not any more.
            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
              Maybe at some stage, when they were recruits. As for when they become Airmen, Seamen etc? Not a hope.

I'd take an RDF body with 5 years in the Infantry with me overseas as a rifleman quicker than I would an Airman or Seaman with 5 years service in the respective jobs.

Comment

It comes up here regularly that the AC dont have the aircraft capacity to do overseas and that the NS units are not suitable for every given overseas op as the units cant defend themselves etc. The overseas imperative for career progression is about the members and not the hardware. Is it time for , eg, a division of NS to serve on some unit from another state with similiar interests etc. Outcome would be much the same.

Comment

If both services weren't so short of personnel it would be feasible to send for example SOs and staff NCOs for a mission air cell, an AVPD, a Naval Boarding Team, some rear aircrew etc etc.

Obviously with suitable equipment and mission major assets could be sent.

Comment

its not Vietnam we talking about .. ns..and ac personell are all trained in guard duties and ns personell are all part of defence forces ,, old school officers did not let many ns/ac get the leb ,, but cooks and admin people always served many trips...thankfully this all changed in 90s as a lot army lads did not want to go ...

Comment

It seems about the dumbest idea in all of human history to take a mission critical, and expensively trained, avionics engineer from an already short staffed Maritime Surveillance unit and to give them a rifle and make them act as the barrier bitch in Lebanon for 6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by ropebag View Post
                        It seems about the dumbest idea in all of human history to take a mission critical, and expensively trained, avionics engineer from an already short staffed Maritime Surveillance unit and to give them a rifle and make them act as the barrier bitch in Lebanon for 6 months.
                        do they not need overseas now for promotion ...

Comment

Originally posted by ropebag View Post
                          I'm currently in the Leb and I can tell you no is acting as any barrier bitch. A lot of the NS personnel have staff appointments so I welcome their inclusion and experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Craghopper View Post
                            I'm currently in the Leb and I can tell you no is acting as any barrier bitch. A lot of the NS personnel have staff appointments so I welcome their inclusion and experience.
                            Is that not depriving the "Army" types of the Staff appointments experience?

Craggy, at the latter stages of my stints, the big problems we had was officers going out in NCO appointments but not doing them, i.e. Mess Sgt, Welfare NCO etc - is it still the same?

By the way, it's good to see your still getting the cushy trips.............
                            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

An Air Corps individual known to me was sent to the Leb and took a slot (not his choice but the Army types didn't want an avo in the field) that was coveted by Army types who considered it "their" home away from home so he was given shit by some people.

Comment

Working...
                              X