No announcement yet.

Sweden reinstates Military Draft amid concern over Russian activity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can only imagine the reaction to something like this here, but hey the international element of this ex would have been unthinkable in Sweden 30 years ago.

"Sweden's security and crisis readiness is a matter that concerns all of Swedish society", the equivalent statement could not be said about ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by pym View Post

I can only imagine the reaction to something like this here, but hey the international element of this ex would have been unthinkable in Sweden 30 years ago.

"Sweden's security and crisis readiness is a matter that concerns all of Swedish society", the equivalent statement could not be said about ourselves.

PfP

Comment

Imagine what other countries could achieve with Scandinavian-style People Power. And there’s potential for even better resilience. “It would be incredibly positive for society if young people, say up to 25 years old, completed some form of total defense training in their home communities,” suggested Commodore Ewa Skoog Haslum of the Swedish Navy, the Swedish National Defense University’s deputy vice-chancellor. “It could last for a couple of months and include things like individual crisis preparation, basic medical training, survival skills, and disinformation detection.”
        Populations are not fragile flowers – far from it. Treating them as a national-security resource can boost a society's resiliency, and even its deterrence.

Recent events, not even factoring in the Russian dimension, have me thinking on similar lines. Doesn't necessitate training everyone in how to strip a Steyr - just focusing community minds on how to cope and organise themselves in a crisis situation.

Comment

The latest installment of "I can only imagine if that was tried here....." from Sweden.

Just click the settings symbol in the bottom right, subtitles/cc and auto-translate .
          Last edited by pym; 18 October 2019, 22:02.

Comment

Given that the Swedes have spent the last twenty years systematically destroying their own country and now find themselves in the situation described above, it's probably fair to say that 'Russian activity' should not be on top of their list of security concerns.

Comment

You use the spectator as a source? Did the beano not have an article you could use?
              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Musha, you're probably right. Those three explosions in one night in Stockholm probably never happened, nor probably did the big one in Linköping in June, which demolished two buildings and damaged another 250 apartments.
                Nor did the ninety-nine others around Sweden in the first half of this year alone, probably.

The desperate and unsuccessful attempt by Swedish authorities to limit the damage by introducing an explosives amnesty is probably fictional, too.

Probably all just scurrilous, agenda-driven propaganda there in the Speccie.

In the absence of any means of verifying any of it - say for example by somehow conducting some kind of remote electronic search of Swedish and international news reports - I guess we'll never know for sure.
                I live in hope that maybe one day, technology will make such things possible.

Yes, Putin's hordes pose a far greater threat to the safety and security of Sven Johansson than any sort of internal threat in that country. Probably.

Comment

Sweden’s “social democracy,” often cited by Europeans and like-minded Americans as the model society, is in deep trouble. Sweden is no longer a low-crime country, but now a high-crime country, with rates of homicide significantly above the Western European average. Car torchings, attacks on first responders and even riots, are familiar to all.

Grenades have come to symbolise Sweden's debate about violent crime ahead of September's election.

Comment

Last edited by TangoSierra; 1 December 2019, 10:43.

Comment

Working...
                    X