No announcement yet.

Rescue 116

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSDS diving course is among the hardest to pass in the DF, they are very fit and very well trained

Comment

• Originally posted by expat01 View Post
      Independent reporting divers are limited to 9 minutes on the wreck and other sources say it's at 40 meters.
      Which makes sense as 9 minutes is the no deco limit at 40m on air. For civilians.
      No in-water decompression in those swells makes sense, but no nitrox, or no chamber on board....dammit we need to up our game.
      Irish lights vessel pulled in to Galway on the way up and all that the Navy needed was loaded an board.
      10min max dives, diving in pairs.
      Last edited by sofa; 25 March 2017, 22:58.

Comment

• Which means they are either using air, or working to quite conservative limits with nitrox.
        That might make sense. If there is a strong current and swell getting to, keeping on station and working outside the wreck would be hard.
        After that productivity depends on how many pairs, each having a total dive time of around 16-17 minutes and requiring 3 hours off between dives. You'd need 20 divers to enable you to work for three hours before the first pair go back in the water, but I doubt they have a big window of weather and daylight

Comment

• I don't think daylight is an issue affecting dives at present. At that depth surface lighting conditions will mean nothing on the seabed anyway. ROV can provide all the seabed light you need.Dives are being carried out by a combination of naval and garda divers. Not sure if Gardai work with Nitrox. Seems that NS are doing the recovery while Garda continue the area search. Is it too deep for diving with surface supply?

The recent book on the NS diving unit did reveal their limitations at depth.
          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Usually, for NS it is 36m on cylinders and then down to 50m on surface supply. The SS will render it easier to access a given wreck .

Comment

• With surface supply at that depth, one can see why the surge would give so much problems.

Comment

• Interesting, I must look for that book on NS diving.
                I don't want to second-guess these guys. I haven't dived past 60 myself and I'm more comfortable at a limit of 40 because I'm not trimix qualified. Some of my mates were assisting on a series of sub-100 metre trimix dives to film coelacanths a few years ago and it almost started to look routine...if you accept death at any time as part of your routine. Two of them died during a 60 metre dive - one of literally hundreds they'd done - just a year later.

Comment

• They have recovered the body from the helicopter. Still waiting on identification.

Comment

• Originally posted by expat01 View Post
                    Interesting, I must look for that book on NS diving.
                    I don't want to second-guess these guys. I haven't dived past 60 myself and I'm more comfortable at a limit of 40 because I'm not trimix qualified. Some of my mates were assisting on a series of sub-100 metre trimix dives to film coelacanths a few years ago and it almost started to look routine...if you accept death at any time as part of your routine. Two of them died during a 60 metre dive - one of literally hundreds they'd done - just a year later.
                    Its called "The Ninth ship". It pulls no punches when dealing with their own limitations, and the wake up call they experienced following the death of a student on a course. Saw a clip earlier of one of the dive team explaining their limitations. Mostly its down to transit time to the bottom. At High tide they have 6 minutes on the bottom, at low tide up to 8. Teams of 3. Currently we are unfortunately on spring tides.

Comment

• Capt Duffy's remains have been secured, RIP.

The body of Captain Mark Duffy has been recovered from the wreckage of Irish Coast Guard helicopter Rescue 116.

Comment

• RIP
                        'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                        'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                        Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                        He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                        http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• RIP

Comment

• RIP

Comment

• RIP

Comment

• RIP
                                "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                                "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Working...
                                X