Post Thanks / Like
    RIP.

Post Thanks / Like
    RIP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very sad news. RIP

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shocking visuals on the news of what can only be described as fragments of fuselage being brought ashore. obviously a catastrophic failure, the very fact that crew diddnt activate any of their epirbs is telling. even the on board beacons never activated apparently. very strange and i would imagine a first for rescue services worldwide.

5. Thanks EUFighter thanked for this post
    Likes Sparky42 liked this post
    Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by restless View Post
    Shocking visuals on the news of what can only be described as fragments of fuselage being brought ashore. obviously a catastrophic failure, the very fact that crew diddnt activate any of their epirbs is telling. even the on board beacons never activated apparently. very strange and i would imagine a first for rescue services worldwide.
    I was thinking the same thing, though of course we'll have to wait to see with the investigation, just hope the black boxes aren't damaged from whatever happened.

Post Thanks / Like
    RIP.

8. Likes Sparky42 liked this post
    C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    The black boxes would be designed to survive a water landing and should "ping" for a month, provided they activated.......I met Dara Fitzpatrick once at an Open day and she gave me and my friends a very comprehensive tour of the S92. May she and her colleagues rest in peace.

10. Thanks restless thanked for this post
    Likes Sparky42, na grohmití, DeV, Turkey, EUFighter liked this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shocking news, RIP.

12. Likes ibenji liked this post
    C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    RIP. Very sad news.

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    As I've already posted elsewhere, all SAR professionals the world over share in your grief. So that others may live comes at a bitter cost sometimes. Rest easy Rescue 116.

15. Likes DeV, na grohmití, EUFighter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not that familiar with the equipment that these crews would be wearing to deal with a water crash landing. Would they have access to life rafts? Cold weather survival suits?
    To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Post Thanks / Like
    They would more than likely be in immersion suits with life jackets and EPRIBs.

The aircraft had ELTs.

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reports that the Black Box beacons have been detected:
    http://www.independent.ie/incoming/b...-35534777.html

19. Thanks EUFighter thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

21. Thanks na grohmití thanked for this post
    Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Granuaile is on its way to the location now. Hopefully this indicates that they have found the main wreckage.

I think it's notable that at least as a state we now possess the resources to cope with a complex rescue and recovery operation like this ourselves, which probably wasn't the case in past decades. Helicopters and planes with sophisticated sensors & long endurance, ships with the required survey, sonar recovery equipment, ROV's etc.

Hoping they recover the remaining crew members soon.

23. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV, EUFighter liked this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Even fishermen with light and camera booms on the trawling gear and very sensitive sonar are an asset in these dreadful events.

25. Likes DeV, EUFighter liked this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hearing reports confirmed this morning that air corps Casa was requested to do top cover on the op r116 was lost on. Air corps declined coast guard request due to crew availability issues. More to follow.
    Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud. You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmití View Post
    Hearing reports confirmed this morning that air corps Casa was requested to do top cover on the op r116 was lost on. Air corps declined coast guard request due to crew availability issues. More to follow.
    Bloody hell
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmití View Post
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0316/860...copter-search/

Meanwhile, the Defence Forces has confirmed a request for it to provide top cover in the mission Rescue 116 subsequently crashed on, was logged at 10:06pm on Monday night, but the Air Corps was not able to carry out the mission as its fixed-wing aircraft was unavailable.

The request was denied due to the fact it was outside normal hours and there was a lack of "experienced personnel" available.
    Well, government doesn't stop just because the country's been destroyed! I mean, annihilation’s bad enough without anarchy to make things even worse!

29. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    At least the military was defended on Newstalk - they pointed the finger at funding and resourcing by department of defence as a reason for loss of key staff and operational knock on effects. i'm shocked and saddened but the budget BS and penny pinching as been going on for too long now. Ill bet the lads and lassies in the AC, especially on the CASA teams will feel pretty down and angry right now, I hope some f***ers in govt are choking on coffee and biscuits this morning. What can you expect from a country without even a full department of defence or full minister - says it all about how seriously our elected gods take the defence protection and support of our nation.
    Last edited by morpheus; 16th March 2017 at 09:21.
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Non Temetis Messor The real Jack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the AC had €50m a year to do SAR there'd be reasons to be upset about lack of top cover. CHC decided when tendering that heli top cover was suitable, if not we'd be paying another €10m for them to do so.
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

32. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes ibenji, EUFighter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Truck Driver View Post
    Bloody hell
    Surely it's not surprising?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheus View Post
    At least the military was defended on Newstalk - they pointed the finger at funding and resourcing by department of defence as a reason for loss of key staff and operational knock on effects. i'm shocked and saddened but the budget BS and penny pinching as been going on for too long now. Ill bet the lads and lassies in the AC, especially on the CASA teams will feel pretty down and angry right now.
    The coverage was quite balanced in fairness.

Post Thanks / Like
    The decision to proceed on any mission is the crews at the end of the day, if they are happy with helo TC...

This isn't just a matter of budget cutbacks etc (although I doubt they have helped), since at least the 90s personnel availability has been an issue for the AC.

36. Thanks EUFighter thanked for this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't declare yourself as an SAR asset unless you can commit to a 24/7 service.
    Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud. You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you?

Thread Information